The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A tt Conversion

Aldo87

I know theres a lot of threads about this topic but bare with me. I currently have a 5sp N/A and im wanting to go TT and BPU it somewhere down the line and keep my 5sp gearbox. I'm concerned tht the gearbox wont last very long as its done nearly 100K miles now, what do you recomend? Keep the 5sp or go auto? :blink:

A 5spd gearbox, assuming its good condition, will hold a proven 400-450rwhp. After that point it becomes a ticking bomb.

An unbuilt TT autobox will hold 500rwhp before it starts showing issues. A GOOD built one (like the Boost Logic) is good to around 800rwhp.

Of course a V160 or 161 6spd gearbox is the best, but obviously a complete swap is both expensive in parts and time consuming.

Best of luck,

Dusty

Sell it and buy a TT, it's altogether too much hassle to do engine swaps when you can buy the real thing for under 4K.

When i 1st got a supra i agreed with you 100% but as time got on my cars got a nice bodykit, full tein SS suspension a blitz nur spec r exhaust, and to find a nice TT with these sort of mods would be more than 4K i think, and i would like to think that once the conversion is complete the car would be worth a bit more anyway?