The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nissan S14a cannot change gear

jamesmark

My UK spec S14a cannot change gear it only started this. No warnings etc and car ran fine up until the point where I went from 4th to 5th and I could not engage 5th. Now when the engine is running I cannot engage any gear.

When the car is off I can select all gears.

I drove the car for 1 mile in 2nd (as was on my way home from work) and when I depress the clutch nothing happens, the car remains in gear and the revs do not climb.

The clutch pedal feels ok maybe a little light but I don'tknow if that's just my imagination.

Any ideas guys? I am not technical what so ever.

PS posted on sxoc too but I know the wealth of knowledge on here is very good.

Clutch release arm has come loose off of the slave cylinder? slave or master cylinders shot? how are your clutch fluid levels? check for leaks.

Get underneath the car and see where the slave cylinder sits by the side of gearbox (it will be near the bell housing) which will attach onto the clutch release arm, check to see that it hasn't detached from it, and if it hasn't then have someone press the clutch...see if you can see the the slave cylinder moving the clutch arm

Edited by miko_supra (see edit history)

John and i both think its a clutch issue. I text the same last night but i just wanted to write in your thread

Ido not think it is the clutch as the clutch has not been slipping or showing any signs of going wrong. There has been NO signs of anything in the transmission going worng.

My UK spec S14a cannot change gear it only started this. No warnings etc and car ran fine up until the point where I went from 4th to 5th and I could not engage 5th. Now when the engine is running I cannot engage any gear.

When the car is off I can select all gears.

I drove the car for 1 mile in 2nd (as was on my way home from work) and when I depress the clutch nothing happens, the car remains in gear and the revs do not climb.

The clutch pedal feels ok maybe a little light but I don'tknow if that's just my imagination.

Any ideas guys? I am not technical what so ever.

PS posted on sxoc too but I know the wealth of knowledge on here is very good.

i had an s14a for 4years mate and i changed over my gearbox in this time, and i only dun 24k in four years in it, very good cars, but gearbox can go:bang: it not treated well and are not running silly power, plus they are noisey as hell.

There is no noise or grinding from the box.

Rob, when I start the car it jolts fwd as it is started in gear (clutch pedal does nothing) and the car moves when acc pedal is used, however when the brake is applied to stop the car and I do eventually stop the car will not stall it just sits there in gear quite the thing, relaease the brake and off we go again all the time the cr has been in gear.

As said before there was no tell tale signs no grinding, no lose of power, no smell absolutely nothing. Even when I came off the slip round and came down all the gears it was as smooth as silk then 200 metres later (fter going up the gears again) 4th to 5th crunched. Stayed in 5th gear as was in a 60 zone and then could not change down gear when I had to turn into my village, I had to force it into 2nd as i did not fancy breaking down in the centre of the road turning in front of traffic.

Ok, just been out to the car and looking down the the gearbox from under the bonnet the slave cylinder that goes into the side of the box is working perfect.

The fluid is perfect and is up to the marker.

Again car starts in gear and can drive in gear with no noise or grinding, when driving you cannot take it out of gear, press the brake and you will sit stationary in gear (not using clutch). However stop with the clutch depressed then release it (when stopped) the car will stall.

So it is going to be going in to the garage tomorrow or Tuesday.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I pick her up tomorrow, she is all fixed. :)

I changed the slave and master cylinder seals myself (start with the cheapest repair) Although they needed changed that was not the issue.

So £565 bill tomorrow and I get my car back, will find out exactly what went wrong but I have a new clutch fitted as the other one (according to the mechanic) was in a bad way. It was an RPS MAX Street that was less than 12 months old.

So I have fitted a stock Nissan clutch as reading up on them on SXOC then can support quite a bit, quite a few people clocked up a lot of miles and running 270 ish bhp.

Well I pick her up tomorrow, she is all fixed. :)

I changed the slave and master cylinder seals myself (start with the cheapest repair) Although they needed changed that was not the issue.

So £565 bill tomorrow and I get my car back, will find out exactly what went wrong but I have a new clutch fitted as the other one (according to the mechanic) was in a bad way. It was an RPS MAX Street that was less than 12 months old.

So I have fitted a stock Nissan clutch as reading up on them on SXOC then can support quite a bit, quite a few people clocked up a lot of miles and running 270 ish bhp.

Your bank manager is a mate of mine, should I warn him now or later?:p:p:p