The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery relocation to boot, worth it?

Homer

Dudes car has a twin (stock) battery setup mounted just over the rear subframe in the boot. The wiring is not fully in place but I think about 3kg of wires are need to take a positive to the engine/cabin. The twin batteries themselves are heavy (not weighed yet), but I was wondering:

1) Is it worth retaining this setup in terms of redistributing weight from over the front wheels, to the rear. At a rough estimate its about 15kg moved from the front to the rear, minus the weight of the cabling.

2) Would it be worthwhile changing this to a single high output battery. Unlike Dudes setup the car will be running almost no electronics so I don't think twin batteries are really needed anymore

batteries.jpg

Dude was a bit of a drag queen so i could only presume he did this to get some weight as far to the rear as possible, how heavy is the new motor ? it may be worth getting some weight to the rear

The new motor (still TBD) should work about between 55-135kg lighter than the 2JZ, dependant on final choice. Plus it'll lose a bit more weight from the from due to no IC and pipework and the lack of active spoiler. I'm not sure on the gbox weight yet though.

So, in total it should be at minimum 80kg lighter on the front than a stock GZ

EDIT: if you are not going to track the car then stick a batt back up front to make things easier for yourself.

Are you looking to put in a stock inlet manifold or a faux Veilside or Greddy?

I dont think he will be using a Veilside or Greddy.

I have taken the battery to boot route for a couple of reasons, to transfer some weight over the rear and to allow space for the aquamist water injection which would have been a lot of plumbing to boot mount, think it looks tidy, I purchased a Yellow top optima battery with a custom built steel holder and Optima relocation cable kit

Are you looking to put in a stock inlet manifold or a faux Veilside or Greddy?

Chap he is sticking a 6 litre yank V8 in so I'd guess he is going with a GM inlet?? Did dude move the batteries for space saving in the engine area as well? I was chatting to him about it when he was doing it but that was like sooo long ago now.

Good God, are you turning it into a milk float, or some sort of hybrid power Green Godess? Carrying two huge batteries in the back is plain daft, just convert to stock, or get a small modern battery in the rear passenger footwell. As someone else said (Wes?) there's no pint in having a battery in the car with you unless you are very serious about handling gains.

Good God, are you turning it into a milk float, or some sort of hybrid power Green Godess? Carrying two huge batteries in the back is plain daft, just convert to stock, or get a small modern battery in the rear passenger footwell. As someone else said (Wes?) there's no pint in having a battery in the car with you unless you are very serious about handling gains.

Thanks for the normality check Chris :D Your replies are always refreshing.

It's in no way going to be an out and out track car since I want a full interior and the likes of AC, however I am stripping unnecessary parts wherever possible. It also needs to be able to hold a passenger with the seat back so already ruled out the passenger foot well position.

Looks like it's going back to stock with a small, light weight battery :)

Thanks guys for input, following the feedback here and after a chat with Jezz today about the battery feeds it seems pretty pointless keeping the battery in the cabin. I'll be getting a light one in the stock position.

Hmm that should be entertaining marrying up the aircon pipework of the GM unit. If the wirings still there why not put a lightweight battery in the boot and keep the additional space in the engine bay for other stuff.

Aircon will hopefully retain the stock system (which is intact) but will obviously need some custom brackets to mount and a different drive pulley

Does it even mount on the same side of the engine? The aircon pump I mean? You may find the same issue most have trying to find somewhere to actually fit it especially if it has to go within the range of the current pipework. If as I suspect the GM position for the aircon pump is utterly different and out of the existing pipe works range you'll have to get some extra pipes made up and route them so they don't snag on anything. Let the fun begin :D