The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is something wrong with my sup ?

supraguye

Posted this in the Supra Chat area, but on second thought, i think it is much better suited for here:

Hi Guys,

I own a 98 vvti J-spec. I've read on here that with just a full decat, you should get 1.2 bar of boost.

Right now, I would consider myself at full BPU, however I only get .7 to .8 Bar. The parts I currently have installed are:

-Full De-cat with Blitz Nur Spec with no Restrictor Ring

-Walbro Pump

-IK24 TRD Iridium

-HKS Filter

-Blitz FMIC

In second gear, I get up to .7 Bar and in 3rd and 4th I get between .8 and .9 Bar.

I find generally the car doesn't feel strong at Low RPMs and the changeover point of the turbos is VERY apparent

Can anyone help? What can I check?

Thanks

I have a greddy RS Bov fitted which vents to the atmosphere.

I have checked the IC pipes and they all seem to be fine.

I see .8 Bar between 4000 and 5000 Rpm

Also, since installing the new FMIC and Bov, I have noticed that the car sometimes makes a loud popping sound from the exhaust every now n then. It appears to happen just when you are beginning to spool and you let off the throttle

I have a greddy RS Bov fitted which vents to the atmosphere.

I have checked the IC pipes and they all seem to be fine.

I see .8 Bar between 4000 and 5000 Rpm

Also, since installing the new FMIC and Bov, I have noticed that the car sometimes makes a loud popping sound from the exhaust every now n then. It appears to happen just when you are beginning to spool and you let off the throttle

that popping noise is the unburnt fuel in the exhaust, this because of the bov, wich cause it to run a bit rich..

just a thought;

is there any boost before 4000 rpm and if so how much?

you should get .7 to .8 from 1800 and up...

Slightly under .5 bar .... then you feel a slight delay in the accelerationg .... and up to .8 bar.

Question, do u get 1.2 Bar in all gears?

Slightly under .5 bar .... then you feel a slight delay in the accelerationg .... and up to .8 bar.

Question, do u get 1.2 Bar in all gears?

I get 1.2 in all gear as long as the wheels doesn`t start spinning:cool:

just a simple question and no offence; but is both cats removed?

I had exactly this on a 98 VVTi and it turned out to be the first turbo compressor wheel was damaged and wouldn't make enough boost to start the transition to the 2nd turbo.

:( Thanks chris ... will look into this

Do you have any reccomendations on the easiest method of getting this checked?

A friend was telling me that pressure usually drops when you install a large FMIC on stock turbos.

Could the problem therefore be the size of my FMIC? I have a Blitz kit installed Part # Bl 12339; it can be pictured at this link: http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=214&SearchYN=N

Notice that it is 4" thick, actually read somewhere that it is the largest core which can fit behind the stock bumper

it says

This 3 core intercooler is a great buy for the Supra. It comes complete with all piping, as well as the necessary overflow and power steering relocation kits to help make the install a breeze. Great for stock twins, or for those looking to go single.

Approximate core size is 24" x 10.5" x 4".

it says

This 3 core intercooler is a great buy for the Supra. It comes complete with all piping, as well as the necessary overflow and power steering relocation kits to help make the install a breeze. Great for stock twins, or for those looking to go single.

Approximate core size is 24" x 10.5" x 4".

Read that bit, guess i was just hoping i won't have to pull out the turbos as per chris's suggestion

Got the IC piping checked and all seems well; so on Saturday, we're gonna pull out the turbos and have a look

guys,

I took the sup out for a drive tonight paying closer attention to the RPMs and boost guage

Compared to you guys, who get .8 bar on the first tubbies at 1800 RPM .... I only get positive boost on them between 2500 and 3000 RPM up, with .5-.6 bar coming in closer to 4000 RPM. What can cause this sort of Lag?

Then between 4000 and 4500, there is a slight moment where the car feels like the acceleration isn't as much

from 4500 up, I build up to .8 -.9 bar at 5500 - 6000 RPM

this .8-.9 bar seems much more violent than th .5 that I got earlier in the RPM range. I am thinking that is because both turbos are operational

guys,

I took the sup out for a drive tonight paying closer attention to the RPMs and boost guage

Compared to you guys, who get .8 bar on the first tubbies at 1800 RPM .... I only get positive boost on them between 2500 and 3000 RPM up, with .5-.6 bar coming in closer to 4000 RPM. What can cause this sort of Lag?

Then between 4000 and 4500, there is a slight moment where the car feels like the acceleration isn't as much

from 4500 up, I build up to .8 -.9 bar at 5500 - 6000 RPM

this .8-.9 bar seems much more violent than th .5 that I got earlier in the RPM range. I am thinking that is because both turbos are operational

checked all the wiring and connectors to the different valves that controls the sequensial system?