The mkiv Supra Owners Club

trickle charger - where to mount the -ve?

Branners

I finally sorted out a trickle charger for the Supra, and the instructions say that the -ve terminal should be mounted on to a suitable earthing point and not the battery itself.

Two questions, does it really have to be on an earthing point or can I put it on to the -ve terminal on the battery, AND if it does have to be on an earthing point which one is best?

thanks

JB

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my car mostly sat with a trickle charger on it for the past 3 years or so. Mines connected directly to both positive and negative on the battery and nothing has blown up or melted yet.

However, if you'd prefer to stick to the instructions, you can use pretty much any bit of exposed clean matel you can see. Engine bolts, battery clamp, suspension top mount bolts. Preferably nothing made from alloy though...

I do the same as Matt, have done for years.

The use of a remote earth is recommended as there may be Hydrogen present near the battery which can ignite if there is a spark.

Battery explosions are rare....but extremely violent and have been on TV recently. Can't remember where but the individual concerned was extremely lucky to survive.

They're basically covering their backsides. A battery 'can' explode as Phil said, but the chances of that happening with a modern battery are incredibly rare. About as common as a running car blowing up a petrol station...

If you wanted to be extra cautious, connect the charger to the battery terminals first, then switch on at the mains afterwards.

Personally, my charger is always on, and as soon as the car goes back in the garage, I just put the croc clips on the terminals and walk away :)

Rather than connecting the charger directly the battery, why not permanetly wire a connector with a molex plug which you could leave somewhere attached to the front grill. That way when you get home you can just plug the car straight in, rather than fiddling with the bonnet and general phaffing around.

Rather than connecting the charger directly the battery, why not permanetly wire a connector with a molex plug which you could leave somewhere attached to the front grill. That way when you get home you can just plug the car straight in, rather than fiddling with the bonnet and general phaffing around.

I've been meaning to do that for years!!! :innocent:

thanks folks. I have jump started the car with a boost pack by going straight on to the terminals for years, but wasnt sure if the trickle charger might be different.

I have the remote cabling included in the pack so I may wire all that in, but will use the crocodile clips for now.

thanks for the advice.

JB

I've had an Accumate for a couple of years, it's on all the time while my car is in the garage and simple to disconnect when I want to drive it using a waterproof connector.

It's superb, plug it in every time and it conditions the battery. I was on about the 3rd battery and as I don't use it as a daily driver anymore so I could see that one getting knackered too but the Accumate has done it's job well.

I got one after having it recommended by a guy at work who's into classic bikes, he has used them for years.

I've had an Accumate for a couple of years, it's on all the time while my car is in the garage and simple to disconnect when I want to drive it using a waterproof connector.

It's superb, plug it in every time and it conditions the battery. I was on about the 3rd battery and as I don't use it as a daily driver anymore so I could see that one getting knackered too but the Accumate has done it's job well.

I got one after having it recommended by a guy at work who's into classic bikes, he has used them for years.

I'll vote for the accumate as well. Used one on my father in laws ZZR1100 which was his weekend bike. Always started nicely and didn't go through any batteries.

as this thread contains some good answers it might be useful if somebody can explain the difference between a battery charger and a Battery Maintenance Charger.

I think all the ones discussed above are maintenance chargers as people tend to leave them attached for weeks/months but Im not sure if that is the case.

JB

Mine was a Christmas present from my Dad, its a Halfords Maintenance Charger.

JB

That's what I've got. Worked fine for the past 3 years on the same battery and went most of last year without being driven.

as this thread contains some good answers it might be useful if somebody can explain the difference between a battery charger and a Battery Maintenance Charger.

I think all the ones discussed above are maintenance chargers as people tend to leave them attached for weeks/months but Im not sure if that is the case.

JB

A battery charger will do just that. Charge the battery by constantly holding the voltage at a set level. Usually 12.6-13.8v, although some will charge at a higher voltage to charge batteries faster, (Which has a detrimental effect on the longevity of a battery). If a battery charger is left on for too long, it heats the battery causing the acid inside to evaporate, which will generally cause the battery to die prematurely, or even melt or explode!

A Maintenance charger will do exactly the same as a normal charger, with the exception that it monitors the current needed to charge the battery.

As soon as a maintenance charger reaches the point where hardly any current is being draw, it will stop giving out a constant voltage and begin it's maintenance cycle which is basically pulse charging. The unit will keep giving short pulses of voltage to the battery. If the current draw begins to get high, (battery going flat), it will revert back to a constant voltage and the whole cycle begins again. (note that after the initial charge, a resulting 're-charge' may only take 10 seconds before reverting back to pulse charging).

Hope that makes sense :)

I could do with one, but the car is not in a garage.. :(.

Do they do ones that can be used outdoors?

With the extension on the 12V output side it must be about 3 metres or so?

Not sure how long you would need and how many extensions you can add but the 12V cable would be fine outside with the charger indoors, maybe plugged in a socket in a porch area?