The mkiv Supra Owners Club

coolant change

supra steveo

right i have just bought 9 litres of coolant from toyota ( the pink stuff ) they said it needs to be 50/50 mix is this right or did i miss something in the geman to english translation ?

also ive dropped the coolant via a little white knob at the bottom of the rad is there anywhere else to drain from ?

and when its fully drained i just fill up the rad and resivour tank with the 9 litres and then run for 3mins with the heaters on full blast

can anyone just clear some things up for me please its the first time ive done this

cheers

steve

How did you get 9L??? they only sell the 5L jars?? (they do in my toyota dealer anyway).

If its the same as I got 08889-80002 (Toyota part no) then you dont need to mix it. Plus its not pink, its red.

Im replacing mine when i do the cam belt - going to take the rad out and flush it while the belts are off and then put in the new coolant.

When re-filling, where is the best place to fill from?

Had the coolant drained partially due to a leaking pipe. Pipe has been replaced but they have filled the system through the rad only!

My heaters are now worse than they were......:rolleyes:

Is it better to break the pipe just under the wipers and top up from there??

H.

Dude why did you not ask me to do it for you! Would have of done a better job :D They will have brimmed it to the top of the rad and overflow tank and probly not blead it leaving it full of air locks. Use the bleeding nipples on the system to bleed the system of air or do I have to do it for you? :p

When re-filling, where is the best place to fill from?

Had the coolant drained partially due to a leaking pipe. Pipe has been replaced but they have filled the system through the rad only!

My heaters are now worse than they were......:rolleyes:

Is it better to break the pipe just under the wipers and top up from there??

H.

i found it fine to add the new coolant through the rad, and that was after draining all of the old stuff out. If i remember right, i added as much as possible in to the rad, started her up and put the heaters on full, then just kept topping it up at the rad.

the heaters were cold (even when the engine was at normal temp.) until i had added all the coolant and it had fully circulated.

also i remember putting some flushing fluid through the system before draining it and adding the new stuff ;)

Dude why did you not ask me to do it for you! Would have of done a better job :D They will have brimmed it to the top of the rad and overflow tank and probly not blead it leaving it full of air locks. Use the bleeding nipples on the system to bleed the system of air or do I have to do it for you? :p

I think you know the answer to that one....:D