The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HowTo - changing J-Spec pads.

Konrad

Some time ago I ordered full set of J-spec brake pads for Jola's Aerotop to find out 3 weeks ago, when on holidays, that her brakes are UK Spec. So I thought, that it is good oportunity to change pads in mine, as I was sure, that mine are J-spec :D Having new fancy camera I decided to document this for future generation of "first time" mechanics ;) So there we go!

You have to take off wheel first obviously, after that you suppose to see caliper in different colour variations.

There is 2 size 14 screws there, unscrew bottom one.

Lift up caliper and ask helper to keep it this way. If you do not have assist, just unscrew upper one too and take off caliper. Put it in a way, which will not harm your brake lines.

When you lift it up, you should see your old pads (green on this picture).

Take off both pins.

Pads ready to be removed. They are just to be pushed towards or out of you.

Take off metal anty squeal metal thingy.

Put it onto your new pads.

Antysqueal parts on place, ready to be put back onto caliper :) You recognize rear, hidden part of pads by metal catch on bottom

Push pads back into caliper.

Put metal pins from picture no. 5 back onto place. You will notice small holes made for it.

Now open your brake fluid reservoir (spelling) and leave it like this.

You prolly noticed till now 2 pistons sticking out in back part of caliper. They are pushing out, when your pads are gradiually used up. Now you will need to push them back to put caliper back over your brand new pads.

I used hammer handle (like it is adviced in manual :p) You can use some kind of special pressure tool made for pushing pistons back too. Most important thing is to put pressure equally everywhere. Mine pistons was giving up pretty easy :)

After that put caliper back, screw it together, ask someone to push brake pedal 1-2 times so pistons will set against new pads. You will know this when your brake pedal will become stiff. Close reservoir tank!

Put wheel together and say "thank you" to assistant, which in my case was my sister :)

Here's picture of my old pad :D

It will take you around 2 hours to change all of them. Only difference between front (which you see here) and rear is that rear have only one piston to push in :D Enjoy and have fun and of course tons of satisfaction from job well done :)

Konrad

PS. If mod thinks it can be used as a technical how-to for newbies, please feel free to use as needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent post - I may try to do the fronts myself, soon :)

(They squeal, but aren't too worn. I think they're just glazed).

As a complete noob at mechanical stuff: what's the general wheel-nut tightening guide? I assume as tight as they'll do up with the Toyota tools, or "Purchase a torque wrench with the money you save doing this yourself".

• 3 years later...