The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine mounting gone.

SIMON LC

When my J-Spec TT warms up off fast idle it vibrates alot when you put her into drive and hold her on the brake.Has anyone else experianced this?My suspicions are one of the engine mountings.Just wondered weather these are a common failure part and these are the symptons you get when they do go.

hi bud, it is quite common for the older mounts to come away inside due to the heat of the motor, some had little alloy collor to deflect the heat, some were fitted with the slightly larger mounts with different angled stantions and a different liquid inner, they look like the trd stlye mount.

i had an issue with mine and it took my best part of two years to find, only found it by taking the engine out. the passenger side one was knocking when i used the brake, or reverse then used the brake, it felt like a clunk but would only do it once! and to me it felt like the drivers side one so i replaced that and it still happend.... now i know why.

Sounds like engine mounts to me unless you have something rubbing against the body possibly. If its a facelift car its more or less definately engine mounts, we're changing loads of them nowadays! Why did Toyota change the design? Who knows.

do they always show up as a vibtration at idle?

can they appear to be a suspension noise?

Is there noticeably movement when physically trying to rock the engine in the bay?

Basically what the best way to diagnose? :D

Also is it a major job, labour and or parts wise?

cheers

It doesnt look too hard to me either, if you have got an engine crane, just undo both mounts from the bottom of the car, hoist it up untill the thread is through the hole and undo the engine side bolts, fit new one and wala. Nthing ever goes exactly to plan though :rolleyes:

They haven't "got it wrong". Liquid damped mounts have a finite life, if you had a Porsche 928 you'd be justified in saying "they got it wrong" as they eat their similar type viscous engine mounts in short order. They rarely give trouble on MKIV's, even on ultra high mileage autos, but I am seeing manuals, especially those where the owner likes burning rubber, getting to the age where the engine mounts are settled, or ruptured. We are talking of an elderly car here :)

Do you mean between the 2 metal cups that make up the outside of the mount?I asume that gap is zero once the mount is off the car and has no tension on it.The bottom cup on the one I replaced was lose and spinning round,this is what made me think it was this mount.