The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How easy to replace shock absorbers?

simonas

One of my shock absorbers ( rear passenger side) was pissing fluid yesterday. You can hear its gone when press car up and down.

I was going to try and do this myself. I've located nuts at top and I can see where its attached by suspension. what else needs doing and can this be done easily enough by a technical mong like me on a ctrolley jack? :D

Very very easy to change, just remove the cover in the boot to reveal the top suspension mount, obviously you need to remove the rear wheel for access and there's one big bolt holding the bottom to the suspension arm. Once the nuts n bolts are removed you just wiggle it out.

You'll need a spring compressor to remove the spring from the old shock.

It's also a good idea to replace shocks as pair's on the same axle, so both the rear should really be done or you could get a miss match in damping forces;)

Nah, ye of little faith..

It isn't a bad job, I did it the other week in the pissing rain....

Undo the bolts in the boot, three of them... then undo the big bolt on the bottom of the suspension assembly (damper and spring), and then a little bit of persuasion on the hub (up and down) and it will come out..

If you use the search button, I believe there is a wonderful IanC tut on how to do it.

Guest L33JSA

Si.....like I said mate...bring it down we'll do it together!!!! Dont fancy the thought of letting you loose with a set of spring clamps!!!! :oP :oP

• 1 month later...
Guest L33JSA

Job done.....piece of cake to do!!! ;);)

When Simon said his shocks where knackered he wasnt lying....the passenger side you could press down with your little finger & it would stay put!!!!! :spank::spank:

Anyway.....drives much nicer now....doesnt it mate!!!! :D:D