The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil pump photos, a comparison

Chris Wilson

Whilst my camera is working I thought I'd post some pics of the Toyota oil pump V a Tomei Skyline RB26 race pump. Design and function is very similar, but not how much extra drain back area there is on the RB26 pum, via 3 holes. I also show how the seal cannot actually pop out due to the immediate vicinity of the star wheel for the crank position sensor, and I show the very small drain area behind the seal, down which all oil that escapes the front of the pump must go, or pressurise the seal. Any abnormal wear will allow mor oil to escape the rotor than the drain can flow without a pressure differential. the design of the casting precludes just drilling out the hole a worthwhile amount bigger, but i have an idea to increase this via a different, but expensive means.

Hope they are of interest as i have seen few clear photos of this stuff posted.

http://www.chriswilson.tv/oil_pumps/pumps.html

Nice clear pics Chris, if only Toyota had the foresight to put in some decent drainage in the first place, surly there are some makers in Japan of an uprated pump that would cover all the bases? whats the idea you have? would it involve just elongating the drain hole into a slot? or are you thinking of adding some material first?

The drain hole on the Toyota pump looks a bit like an afterthought to me - especially the way that the entry to it is a milled groove inside the seal housing bore. I wonder whether it was a last-minute development bodge...?

The drain hole on the Toyota pump looks a bit like an afterthought to me - especially the way that the entry to it is a milled groove inside the seal housing bore. I wonder whether it was a last-minute development bodge...?

I think your on the right track there;)

Chris, have you got any pics of the seal side of the drainage holes, of the Skyline pump?

I think your on the right track there;)

Chris, have you got any pics of the seal side of the drainage holes, of the Skyline pump?

Not without taking the pump off, which I am not going to do :) I don't think I have a stock RB26 pump to hand, off an engine, either, to photograph that. Pity, as the recent floods have goosed the 3 phase for the ramp and other workshop stuff, so I am pratting about a bit today, waiting for a sparkie to have a look see.