The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are variable a/r vane turbos available ?

Muffleman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It can be done, but the control required is much more then used in current gasoline calibration.

Normal requirements are:

PID control with mappable P, I and D terms and limited control authority for each

Base boost demand map

Base duty cycle map

Transient duty cycle map interpolated from the base map by rate of change of speed or load

Transient boost demand map interpolated from the base map by rate of change of speed or load

Altitude compensation duty cycle map

Altitude compensation boost demand map

Turbo overspeed compensation map

Temperature (both air & engine) correction duty cycle compensation map

Others I can't remember!!

Its possible but you need instrumented turbos, a good rolling road dyno, ideally an engine dyno, software capable of controling this..... and lots of money ;)

Thread resurrection time!

I've been looking into this, and other than the Porsche with the VNT turbo, there has only been one other gasoline VNT .... the Garrett VNT25. Chrysler was the first to put a variable nozzle turbo into a production gasoline vehicle in 1990 (it was also used in the 1989 Shelby CSX). It was fitted to the LeBaron, the Shadow, and the Daytona and although 1700 were planned, only 500 cars were built with VNT turbos. The other 1200 turbos were sold off, for various uses ;)

These VNT's were fitted with simple diaphragm type actuators, with both pressure and vacuum ports to enable control by boost pressure and vacuum (to fully open the vanes at idle and reduce back pressure).

Although quite small, rated up to 220 hp on a gasoline engine, these turbos are near identical to the Garrett T25 turbo, and bigger T28 compressor wheels were a good method of increasing the output. A VNT25 modified in this way was capable of supplying 20 psi to a 2.0 engine (std was 15 psi max) while spooling up at 1500 rpm!!! Sounds interesting?

How about a pair of these???

:D So what's the plan mate ?

First, check out what they can do! The biggest restriction will be the turbines which are normally quite small in comparison to 'normal' sized medium power twins.

The compressor wheel is bigger than the VNT25, so hopefully that will be able to supply a resaonable amount of boost.

I'll need to make up some adaptors for the stock manifold (spare manifold anyone???) and probably incorporate a wastegate (or 2) to bleed off some of the exhaust gas to prevent the turbos over spinning and going off the efficiency map.

The turbos themselves are controlled by boost pressure (and vacuum at idle to open them up) and as such are controllable with a good aftermarket boost controller :)

The wastegate(s) will serve to limit the turbos when they have opened fully and can't move anymore to drop boost.

Needs some figuring out but should work!

None of this fancy controller stuff, just plain & simple mechanical set up (to start with ;)).

How big are they compared to stock tubbies ?

Compressor is about 47mm minor, and a guess at 60mm major, 62 trim (from T28) and .42 A/R.

Turbine is approx 55mm minor, major not known. A/R is .64.

Will know for sure when I pick them up. These sizes don't seem too bad :D

The whole idea behind these turbos is great.

However after 1/2 an hour at the wheel of a 997T i started to think it was something I'd personally never want. Reasons are, it takes and age to kick in @ 2.5K in 6th, drop your big tub supra in 2nd and be outta sight by the time the long 6th gear started to pull. Secondly, I like the low power revs, great for traction on shitty greasy roads. Thirdly the fuel economy is pretty good when in the laggy area. Anyway, only granny would try and race from 2K rpm.

It will be great for Tdi golfs etc, but Supras, hhmmm if they ever make one and I get a spin in it, I might get converted, but I'm in the "its a gimmick" camp for now.

Well, I'm aiming for full throttle boost from sub 2000rpm. How it actually performs we'll have to wait and see. If there are driveability gains by getting on boost lower in the rev range then its a bonus, but for the moment this will purely be a feasibility study. I have no intention in aiming for the power that big singles achieve, just a better response that pulls from low down and just keeps on pulling ;)

If you've driven the VW Toureg (Toe rag??) V10 twin VNT turbo diesel then you'll know what I mean by a seamless and constant power delivery :)

I guess with the control systems they are running then they can make them boost at whatever revs they want. Handfulls of boost at low revs in the lower gears would mean excessive wheelspin all the time :)

I had diesel engines producing positive boost at idle. It just depends on what you want to do. That's the beauty of it I guess.... boost exactly where you want it!