The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FSE and Walbro Dyno Results

Dragonball

As you are aware much controversy has surrounded this piece of equipment

As a keen advocate of it's use as part of an overall fuelling package that includes Walbro pump, relay (12V mod undertaken with walbro)

We now have some definative dyno results that I believe speak for themselves

I will add (for all the hassles) we are selling this combo FSE. Pump for only £195.00 and with Relay for £220

:thumbs:

These dyno runs were taken within one hour of each other at THOR ENGINEERING

many thanks to Peter - great service every time m8

Same car - Peter Betts

FSE and Walbro fitted

Retested

Std Fuel pressure set-up with FSE

Conclusions (I am sure some others are self explanatory)

Same Boost of 1.24 Bar achieved for both runs

First turbo max torque achieved at almost 500rpm earlier than without the FSE due to earlier boost response (as advertised by the FSE)

Overall torque improvement +14.1 lbs

Overall HP improvement +18.2 HP

Fuelling - immediate improvement by 0.9 AFR (from lean to good)

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

http://www.mpaconsultancy.co.uk/miamirice/images/supra_fsepump2.gif

You're gonna hate me for this but it would have been great to see the results with *just* the fuel pump upgraded :D The boost pressure curve in the very first graph is a bit odd as it looks shifted to the left by 100 - 200rpm - it comes on song faster but also drops off eariler, I dunno what that's all about. The other graphs look OK though.

But apart from that it shows that the fuel pump is a good upgrade and the FSE valve isn't doing any harm :devil:

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

You're gonna hate me for this but it would have been great to see the results with *just* the fuel pump upgraded :D The boost pressure curve in the very first graph is a bit odd as it looks shifted to the left by 100 - 200rpm - it comes on song faster but also drops off eariler, I dunno what that's all about. The other graphs look OK though.

But apart from that it shows that the fuel pump is a good upgrade and the FSE valve isn't doing any harm :devil:

-Ian

Well nothings perfect :) :twak:

We have alwayd advocated this as part of the fuelling package - no harm by itself as you say - but better as a double act (or even treble act!)

looks like it works. i have a dvd of a mr2 on rollers in australia he was maxing out his injectors, the rolling road bloke said to fit a fpr and they got it back on rollers and it helped him out with his problem.

them walbro pumps are tiny aint they, was expecting something like the size of a coke can.

well done on the tests

Hi Paul

I think it's great that you've gone to the trouble of testing these products quantitatively and back-to-back. And it's really, really good to see some testing science instead of relying on opinion and the seat-of-the-pants meter.

Perhaps you or anyone else can help me out with a query, though. The original thread that led to this test was a debate over the effectiveness of the fse regulator - nothing else, just the fse.

But in your test, you seem to have changed both the stock regulator and the stock fuel pump? Therefore, you can't ascribe any improvements in response and power to the fse - you've changed another variable (the pump) as well. I don't really understand why you did this if the idea was to prove that the fse 'works'.

I know that you advocate the whole package of fse+pump and the tests seem to show that the package as a whole makes a noticeable improvement. But it would be incorrect to say that the tests vindicate the fse alone, wouldn't it?

In that case, your efforts to resist saying 'I told you so' (on the other thread) are probably for the best. :)

As usual, I'm a little out of my depth here and therefore prepare to be corrected.

Regards,

Cliff

Edited for spelling.

Originally posted by Tannhauser

Hi Paul

I think it's great that you've gone to the trouble of testing these products quantitatively and back-to-back. And it's really, really good to see some testing science instead of relying on opinion and the seat-of-the-pants meter.

Nuff said really - we said it was a good thing - some others not - and you can see the dyno shows we were right!

:Look again how the torque comes on line earlier - that doesn't happen because of the pump

No need to go any further - either decide to get it fitted as part of your fuelling improvement or not

So lets leave it at that OK?

I think the point here is that Paul allways claimed the FSE should be fitted in conjunction with a pump , it was never claimed to be needed without the pump , the bottom line is fit the pair and this is the gain you will see , also bear in mind Matt B had just the pump and his fueling looked nothing like that , shame some people dont lose arguments as gratiously as they win them (sometimes) !!!!:cry:

Dude:flame Dev

Thought I'd step in as it was my car and my dyno it was tested on.

Well.

1: Dyno'd my car running at whatever level I've had for the last 3 years

2: It was lean. but then I knew that.

3: Fitted FSE and set to stock pressure.

4: Dynoed again and noticed in the process of measuring the fuel pressure that it was actually dropping pressure.

This could only mean one thing. The pump did not have enough flow to cope with the requirements fo fuel at stock fuel pressures.

Something I wish I'd measured before I started the tests.

So I was now left in the unfortunate position that meant I had no choice but to fit the pump. Again I wish I was able to show before and after JUST the pump but I cannot.

Should anyone be having this mod done soon then I can always check their car.

With the new pump and FSE (set to stock pressure) the results are as above.

The reason I believe I have more power now the mixture is richer is that the ECU was retarding ignition due to knock detectoin.

There is now scope to map the fuel properly across the RPM band to get the most power out.

Still not bad for a 110K mile car :)

Check out my new updated website (going live end on Monday) which will show all the bits I'll be reselling and services I offer.

Vastly improved I think. There will be (at long last) the BHP hall of fame. Plus EVENTS calendar, showing when are where we'll be with the dyno. Plus a BIG section on denso iridium plugs, NGK plugs, Highpower NOS kits, fuel additives, K&N filters, 106 octane fuels etc etc plus large FAQ's.

If there's anything you need just ask.

THOR Racing

Regards

Pete

Originally posted by TRL Performance

Thought I'd step in as it was my car and my dyno it was tested on.

Well.

1: Dyno'd my car running at whatever level I've had for the last 3 years

2: It was lean. but then I knew that.

3: Fitted FSE and set to stock pressure.

4: Dynoed again and noticed in the process of measuring the fuel pressure that it was actually dropping pressure.

This could only mean one thing. The pump did not have enough flow to cope with the requirements fo fuel at stock fuel pressures.

Something I wish I'd measured before I started the tests.

So I was now left in the unfortunate position that meant I had no choice but to fit the pump. Again I wish I was able to show before and after JUST the pump but I cannot.

Should anyone be having this mod done soon then I can always check their car.

With the new pump and FSE (set to stock pressure) the results are as above.

The reason I believe I have more power now the mixture is richer is that the ECU was retarding ignition due to knock detectoin.

There is now scope to map the fuel properly across the RPM band to get the most power out.

Still not bad for a 110K mile car :)

Check out my new updated website (going live end on Monday) which will show all the bits I'll be reselling and services I offer.

Vastly improved I think. There will be (at long last) the BHP hall of fame. Plus EVENTS calendar, showing when are where we'll be with the dyno. Plus a BIG section on denso iridium plugs, NGK plugs, Highpower NOS kits, fuel additives, K&N filters, 106 octane fuels etc etc plus large FAQ's.

If there's anything you need just ask.

THOR Racing

Regards

Pete

Good stuff Pete, and the new website sounds excellent......

Originally posted by dude

shame some people dont lose arguments as gratiously as they win them (sometimes) !!!!:cry:

Hope that wasn't aimed at me :) I tried not to make it look like I was waah-waahing about the results by saying it wasn't tested with the pump only, I was just making a point that it would have been interesting to see the change with pump first and then FSE added afterwards. Kind of what Cliff has said as well. I'm not going to argue with empirical testing like Paul has done though, there are improvements when pump and FSE have been fitted together (and set up). That sort of testing is way beyond "I spent money so it must feel better" results :)

After all, I sorta proved that running 1.5bar was no faster than running 1.35 bar on my car but the EGTs edged into the caution zone, but you still run 1.5bar :D And if it feels faster, why not? Plus it's a different setup etc etc. so my results may not fully apply.

Shockingly marginal, that J-spec pump :mad:

-Ian

Hope that wasn't aimed at me :) I tried not to make it look like I was waah-waahing about the results by saying it wasn't tested with the pump only, I was just making a point that it would have been interesting to see the change with pump first and then FSE added afterwards. Kind of what Cliff has said as well. I'm not going to argue with empirical testing like Paul has done though, there are improvements when pump and FSE have been fitted together (and set up). That sort of testing is way beyond "I spent money so it must feel better" results :)

After all, I sorta proved that running 1.5bar was no faster than running 1.35 bar on my car but the EGTs edged into the caution zone, but you still run 1.5bar :D And if it feels faster, why not? Plus it's a different setup etc etc. so my results may not fully apply.

Shockingly marginal, that J-spec pump :mad:

-Ian

I wouldnt AIM anything at you Ian

You may AIM something nasty back !!!:D and youer mates have a reputation !!!

Originally posted by Scooter

one or two not massively over engineered parts in the car is not too bad! your a unforgiving lot you serial modders:D

There is something else not massively overengineered lurking in my car, causing my running problems and when I find that you'll see unforgiving I can tell you.

-Ian

There is something else not massively overengineered lurking in my car, causing my running problems and when I find that you'll see unforgiving I can tell you.

-Ian

Ah yes I forgot about your current problem :stupid:

I hope it gets sorted, i know its bad enough when your car isn't running ok, not knowing 100% whats wrong or how to sort it must be a mare...... :(

Originally posted by lovatt

well i have a walbro fitted and am looking into getting a fse, it will be set up by pete and maybe you could use my car to do the tests ?

Go for it - get Pete to fit the FSE while you are there!

Do you have one or need one?

Cheers

Ricer