The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dyno results, or "How to waste £80"

Jake

I took my 6sp VVTi to REWorx in Portsmouth today to get the fuelling checked. Since I got the car last week I've only been running it at 1.0bar because I didn't want to take any chances with it until I'd had the fuelling checked.

When I got there the guy said that it would be about 20mins before they could do it. No problem, I'll hang about for a while.

While standing around and looking at my car I noticed the exhaust hangs pretty low, so I got down on the ground to have a better look ....

...and, bugger me - it's still got the second cat on!

I bet that's really helping the spool!

I had it dyno'd anyway, seeing as I was there, but the results were frankly disappointing:

At 1.25 bar it made just 377.9rwhp with AFRs in the tens after 4000rpm.

At 1.50 bar the AFRs were off-the-scale rich so the run was aborted before peak revs.

So, can anything meaningful be gleaned from these dyno results or was it a complete waste of time dynoing a single turbo Supra with the stock 2nd cat fitted?

Let the piss-taking commence! :D

IMG_0110 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0109 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0108 (Medium).JPG

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They charge £80 just for that?
We were messing about with it for an hour. The boost controller was just set to Auto on each setting (1.0, 1.25, 1.50bar) but we found it gives earlier boost if you manually set the Gain, so we were doing that for a while. The car actually did ten pulls on the Dyno.

Guest Terry S

You need to have that Mapping looked at mate. Its a pretty similar setup to mine, but overlay the spool and you can see there is a problem.

I sure I read that it still had a second cat in. In fact I definitely did as it struck me as a little "different".

Looks like a little investment in some serious mapping is in order. Keep us posted on the results once it's done.

No shit! :D

Even with the cat out it's not going to gain a huge amount is it?

And to think I thought it was really quick! :rlol:

Hey, look on the bright side you have a lot to look forward too!

Surely the cat is going to limit the ultimate power you're going to generate? or am I reading into it too much?

Was the previous owners dyno done when de-catted?

I texted Mike (the previous owner) asking about the cat. He said

The car was initially mapped without a cat but I asked for a cat to be fitted so not sure if he remapped it after he made and installed the cat.

I presume when he says 'made' he's referring to the v-band fitting being welded to the cat. There's no bill for remapping it as far as I can see. Maybe they did it for free, eh? :D

Wouldn't it be nice if it starts running perfectly after I get that cat off? Something tells me it's not gonna be that simple though.

I took my 6sp VVTi to REWorx in Portsmouth today to get the fuelling checked. Since I got the car last week I've only been running it at 1.0bar because I didn't want to take any chances with it until I'd had the fuelling checked.

When I got there the guy said that it would be about 20mins before they could do it. No problem, I'll hang about for a while.

While standing around and looking at my car I noticed the exhaust hangs pretty low, so I got down on the ground to have a better look ....

...and, bugger me - it's still got the second cat on!

I bet that's really helping the spool!

I had it dyno'd anyway, seeing as I was there, but the results were frankly disappointing:

At 1.25 bar it made just 377.9rwhp with AFRs in the tens after 4000rpm.

At 1.50 bar the AFRs were off-the-scale rich so the run was aborted before peak revs.

So, can anything meaningful be gleaned from these dyno results or was it a complete waste of time dynoing a single turbo Supra with the stock 2nd cat fitted?

Let the piss-taking commence! :D

Strange that there's a cat in there, we definately didn't fit, may be he stuck it in there just for the MOT and didn't bother changing it back again after? I'm sure the downpipe and midpipe we fitted had v-band flanges on them so the std cat would have to be modded to fit, are you 100% its on there?

Sounds like another great map there then, off the scale sounds about right, you'll gain a load of power with it setup correctly. Did they say they can remap it there for you?

Seems a lot better now.

Rolling along at 3000rpm in 5th gear, with the boost controller on the 1.25 bar setting (same as the dyno sheets in the frst post), floored the throttle and watched for when it hit 1.2 bar. (Is this right way to test it?)

It's now hitting 1.2bar at 3400-3500rpm. (difficult to tell exactly when the revs are rising so fast)

On the above dyno sheets from this morning it was making slightly less than 0.8bar at 3500rpm

and not reaching 1.2bar until 4600rpm.

So 1.2 bar at 3450(ish)rpms is quite an improvement I'd say!

Strange that there's a cat in there, we definately didn't fit, may be he stuck it in there just for the MOT and didn't bother changing it back again after? I'm sure the downpipe and midpipe we fitted had v-band flanges on them so the std cat would have to be modded to fit, are you 100% its on there?
Well it's not on there now 'cos I've just taken it off, but yeah, it's definitely a stock Supra cat with bolts welding to the DP to allow the cat to bolt up to the DP.

I've put it back to PHR midpipe and vband clamp now.

Sounds like another great map there then, off the scale sounds about right, you'll gain a load of power with it setup correctly. Did they say they can remap it there for you?
I don't think I blame Tuning Japanese for this mornings dyno results if he mapped the car without a cat and it's since had one fitted.

REWorx can't alter the map that's on the Motec at the moment because Tim at Tuning Japanese won't tell us the password he's put on it. I don't fancy starting over from scratch with a new map either. I haven't decided deciding what to do about that.

Yes, Dave Rowe sounds like the man for the job from what was said about him the other day. He can also wire it in as a stand alone I think? Is your car still running the HKS VVTi controller as well? if so better off getting the Motec to run that as well....I'm sure Dave will transform your car.