The mkiv Supra Owners Club

just dropped a little spring into the radiator - what now?

wez_p

i was just replacing my radiator cap with a new one and as i took the old one off, the insides all came apart & the little spring that was under the cap went into the radiator & sunk into the water

am i goosed or is there a nice little mechanism to stop it finding it's way round the engine & into the water pump or something? :(

i had to drive it a few miles to get home too

Don't worry too much , it will only sit in the header tank or get stuck in the stat.(at least you will know where the little bu**er is then)

At least that's the way i see it, anybody else got ideas?

Dave

i was just replacing my radiator cap with a new one and as i took the old one off, the insides all came apart & the little spring that was under the cap went into the radiator & sunk into the water

am i goosed or is there a nice little mechanism to stop it finding it's way round the engine & into the water pump or something? :(

i had to drive it a few miles to get home too

Guest gzaerojon

if it was me, i would take out the rad, put a magnet in into the top tank where the top hose goes, then shake F$%k out the rad on it's side and see if you can get the spring to work it's way accross the tank and end up on the magnet.

or you could anways wait a few years and let the spring rot away from natural causes :D

many thanks for the replies chaps

Pete, i like yours best :) it's the most confident! are you 100% on this? i was thinking of getting one of those telescopic magnetic tools & seeing if i could fish it out for piece of mind really & not drive it any more until then. i've got access to another car while my mum is away on holiday so it doesn't need to go anywhere

thanks again all for your replies

thanks all, feel a bit better about it now. already sourced a magnetic pickup tool in the meantime so i'll give that a try, just in case it is magnetic & within range!

think i'll get some of that 4Life & flush the radiator anyway since i've replaced the knackered cap & had bubbling in the expansion tank/empty expansion tank so hopefully it will turn up then :)