The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air Bag Warning Light

tDR

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by redline Rooster

other wise you WILL trip you airbag warning system and you'll have to take it to Toyota for them to reset it!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Martin F

NOt quite true, you can reset this with a piece of wire and some dexterity.

^^ As above, managed to trip the air bag warning light by turning the ignition on with the top part of the dash removed whilst wiring up chip / fog etc.

Yes, I know I'm a donkey :baa: :twak: :baa:

Question is, how do I extinguish it myself so I don't have to take it to Toyota? (Already done a search to find the above quotes)

Just found this:

How to turn off the airbag light

Problem: Disconnecting the connector behind the upper dash piece where the odometer is located while the ignition key is turned on will result in the airbag light staying on.

Here's how to turn it off :

Go under the hood and open the diagnostic cap located on the passenger-side near the firewall (see photo). Look for AB & TC. Make two plugs with wire to fit into these connectors. With the ignition key turned to the ON position alternate the two wires to the negative terminal of the battery. They need to be done in a consistent rhythm, about one second apart. TC,AB,TC,AB,TC,AB... This needs to be done several times. If you can't get it to work, try adjusting the speed. It is helpful to have someone look at the airbag light while performing this to let you know when the light goes out/blink.

^^ Sound accurate? It's for the US spec, mine is J Spec GZ Auto.

• 7 years later...
A BIG thank you tDR.

If I had the correct anatomy I'd have your babies.

Sorted the problem out thats been bugging me for weeks.

Awesome mate. :thumbs:

pmsl - glad it done the trick! :thumbs:

(though I'll pass on the offer of more mini-tDR's!!!) :taped:

Mines been like it for ages but CBS to do it. Does it actualy stop the airbag working tho?
I do recall a thread a long time a go where someone was unlucky enough to find out it didn't prevent the air bag from deploying. I'll see if I can find it...

• 10 months later...
Guest charlyboy

WOW, first time on the forum that I have found an easy and exact answer to a simple problem. Took me less than five minutes and hey presto it worked. I found that altenating fast rather than slow did the trick. Now my beautiful (mint condition) is going up for sale, (have two and one has to go) Thank you guys