The mkiv Supra Owners Club

labour required for replacing engine mounts?

wez_p

i'm going to go ahead and get the engine mounts replaced on the car, to try & rid this vibration i get at idle. the car has been checked over by a few different people & the mounts are pretty much the last thing to try

my choice now is:

(a) to get the parts in quite cheap (approx £55 + vat per mount) and let the mechanic i know at the local Toyota garage attempt it (they haven't done this before & are thinking it requires the subframe dropping)

OR

(b) go to someone trusted who's done this kind of thing before, i.e. one of the traders on here

can anyone give any details of what is required or whether it's a massive job? i've heard prices more like £130 each on here just for the mounts & can't afford another spend hitting £500+ at the moment and choice (a) will cost me a lot less afaik if it's something they could do without problems

Chris, how the heck do you get the last line in your sig all scrunched up and chopped up like that? Or is it just me?

I think it is because there is a limit to the size allowed on the sigs. He has overstepped that limit... ;) If you loose the spacing Chris you should be fine.

BTW, if it has an aftermarket clutch or flywheel on it, suspect those if the mounts still have clearance.

thanks for your replies Chris. it's an auto, you did my decats etc & checked the engine mounts at the time as the vibration was in its early stages but has got worse since then

if you get chance can you PM me an idea of what it would cost to come & see you again? & if it's another trip i could make there & back in the same day? as i posted, i think i've got a decent price on the mounts but am not convinced with the experience of who's doing it (and neither are they really) but it's so convenient being in the same town!

the vibration is alot more prominent now & i would imagine easier to diagnose than when you last saw it - the guy at Toyota has had it up side by side with another Supra to compare everything & can only now put it down to the mounts, which appear to be alot more 'on their arse' (in his words!) than the one he was comparing it too & when he used a bar or whatever to try & restrain the engine it appeared to go away

it also still appears to only be noticeable when the car is in Drive at idle

thanks,

Wes

p.s. you lot stop chit chatting in my technical thread :p i've got the main man's interest at the mo!!

Guest gzaerojon
Chris, how the heck do you get the last line in your sig all scrunched up and chopped up like that? Or is it just me?

"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as they fly by" - Douglas Adams

copy/paste

:D

thanks for your replies Chris. it's an auto, you did my decats etc & checked the engine mounts at the time as the vibration was in its early stages but has got worse since then

if you get chance can you PM me an idea of what it would cost to come & see you again? & if it's another trip i could make there & back in the same day? as i posted, i think i've got a decent price on the mounts but am not convinced with the experience of who's doing it (and neither are they really) but it's so convenient being in the same town!

the vibration is alot more prominent now & i would imagine easier to diagnose than when you last saw it - the guy at Toyota has had it up side by side with another Supra to compare everything & can only now put it down to the mounts, which appear to be alot more 'on their arse' (in his words!) than the one he was comparing it too & when he used a bar or whatever to try & restrain the engine it appeared to go away

it also still appears to only be noticeable when the car is in Drive at idle

thanks,

Wes

p.s. you lot stop chit chatting in my technical thread :p i've got the main man's interest at the mo!!

Get them to CAREFULLY take a bit of weight off the mounts by LIGHTLY jacking the engine up on the sump with a piece of thick wood as a load spreader. DO NOT crush the sump AT ALL!!! If the noise changes to the point it's all but gone it's probably the mounts. No way would I want to cahnge them both in a day with someone needing to get home in the car, they really are a PITA to do in situ. It may be the torque convertor has gone out of balance, lock up convertors used to be notorious for this, although the Toyota one seems prety good.

It may be the torque convertor has gone out of balance, lock up convertors used to be notorious for this, although the Toyota one seems prety good.

is this something that can be reset or fixed or would it be a new torque converter required?

• 4 years later...

I am finding the late model engine mounts are a problem area for the Supra, they often fail, in fact they are as bad as Porsche 928 mounts used to be, and that's saying something. I now recommend the early mounts and brackets are retro fitted to late cars with failed engine mounts. It's not cheap, and they are a total PITA to fit with the engine in place.

• 2 weeks later...