The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Torque converter lock up with a difference

viper

Hi all,

cars on the dyno at the moment and an seeing slip in 3rd at 5200rpm.

i know you can lock out the TC when using a standard ecu set up but im running stand alone and have no electronic control for the gearbox.

is there a way you can lock out the TC without it being wiring into the ecu?

many thanks?

just done a quick search try pulling out the TRAC fuse might work and is very quick to do

- - - Updated - - -

this will also help

14b is the pin and wire that controls torque converter lock-up, I can't remember the wire colours?

In 'my garage' - Tuning - AEM 30-1100 link there's a diagram showing the ECU pins.

Link to info for colour codes and volts. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/content...rical-Diagrams

If Ryan can't work out what the problem is, I can't do more than this without seeing it!

• 2 weeks later...

Dave you said wire in to resistors to the ecu wires. I'm sure would be good advise if I know what wires, what resistors and what pins in the original ecu to use as I'm running stand alone the original e u is obsolete.. I'm all ears though if it will work. Do I just need to wire the original gearbox wiring into the original ecu and power up the e u? Will this drive the gearbox?

As I explained to you whilst building your transmission and have consequently also posted into the Transmission Group, you could piggyback a stock T.T. auto ECU into the equation to control the transmission.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=165&do=discuss

Give the ECU ignition-live, earth, speed, neutral-start, transmission-temp and engine-rpm sensor feeds and connect the 3 solenoid wires to the transmission common with N/A, which will allow gear-change tables and torque-convertor lock to function and fit resistors (value unknown?) to the 2 redundant transmission wires because the line-pressure is now controlled by cable.

Or fit a Suprastick and have the choice of 2 auto shift patterns and flappy-paddle changes too.

I hope that you have the line pressure feed cable functioning as it should?

Edited by David P (see edit history)

At the moment I have nothing but TC slip all the way through the gears. I need to find away to lock out the TC. Fluid is new, level is great. 2 srd coolers. I'm all ears.

Are you SURE it's converter slip?? Not clutch / brake drum slip? What line pressure are you seeing under WOT? Once you start fiddling with auto boxes the line pressure is one ESSENTIAL to monitor. I'm no expert on automatic boxes, but I know a guy who is and he always drummed "LINE PRESSURE" into me as diagnostic tool.

I have recently suffered a spate of folks' laziness leading them to imagining that an auto box doesn't need to be plugged in silliness!

Some have proven silly enough for their laziness to persuade them to believe that line pressure control is not required either!

Without electronic control of the torque-convertor lock solenoid and line-pressure control, it is not possible for the transmission to function correctly.

Period!

Edited by David P (see edit history)

As you were explicitly informed during the second attempt at the birth of your Hybrid and as you have subsequently been reminded on more than one occasion, you have two options, a piggybacked T.T. auto ECU and 20 peneth of resistors or a Suprastick, electrickery difficulty factor being about the same for either.

I'm a technolexic old dog, but find setting up the Suprastick easier than sending text messages.

Either way, please don't crucify that transmission with 600 ft lb? on the dyno again until the installation is complete.