The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to fit oil squirters in to NA.

HadeS

The info I have says that the cut off point for needing piston cooling jets is when the engine brake power divided by the piston area is greater than 3.5MW / m^2

For an 86mm bore the total piston area is 0.035m^2

600bhp is 447kW

So power / area = 12.8MW/m^2

....so yes, I would say you need them :)

Are the TT and NA oil pumps different? Oil squirters consume a LOT of oil, and they rob it from the main gallery, so it will globally drop oil pressure around the engine.

If the NA oil pump isn't specced to feed oil squirters then you might cause a crankshaft lubrication problem.

Are the TT and NA oil pumps different? Oil squirters consume a LOT of oil, and they rob it from the main gallery, so it will globally drop oil pressure around the engine.

If the NA oil pump isn't specced to feed oil squirters then you might cause a crankshaft lubrication problem.

Yes I know how they work and good oil pump is required to make sure there is good lubrication.

Has any one got some pictures from instalation?

It's been proven that the engine doesn't always require oil squirters. Jekyl runs 500hp and hasn't had any problems. The limitation of that calculation states 400bhp is the limit before squirters are needed. There are many people running just over this, but Jekyl is the first one that comes to mind. His engine (and his last one) running 500 gives 4.3MW/m² which is over the 3.5 recommended. Obviously there is a number of other areas that can affect performance engine wear etc.

There are other considerations such as compression ratio and I think without taking that into account you can't reliably state if they need to be used or not.

There is NA-T runners pushing 700 without squirters, and claim they haven't needed them or at least haven't failed because of them. I looked into this when I was aiming for more than 400hp and found lots of US information on other forums as it's not hugely done here. It will probably be cheaper to use uprated pistons if you want peace of mind.

If you are running stock NA or TT pistons then it would be a very good idea. If running forged pistons then they are not necessary until you get to very high hp.

To do this you need the TT oil pump and an oil feed to the gallery the oil squirters get their oil from. On an NA block this gallery is dry, so you can either get oil to it by:

1. drilling across the front of the block to feed the front of this gallery from the oil gallery on the intake side. This is a PITA, or

2. drill a hole in the turbo side of the block where one of the oil feeds to the TT normally is as this is just a blank on the NA engine block. Then feed oil in to this hole from a splitter where your oil filter or aftermarket oil cooler is.

I went with option #2. :)

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)