The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hurricane 1UZ-FE Soarer V8 Headers/manifolds

Delboy52

Australians have RHD cars like we do. Many of the 1UZ aftermarket parts seem to be in Oz. I've not heard of the Hurricane brand before, but they seem to be the only off the shelf extractors left in the world. IMF 4-1 headers aren't available anymore and Neil at Rush has none left. Read some forum posts and they were claiming the 4-1 gave more power at the top end. They tend to be much shorter also.

$695 aud, + shipping of about $300 aud, + import tax £?.

So £650 to get them here plus whatever the tax is here. Still less than a quote I had for custom made ones. Anyone know a fabricator that could make some of these?

i got a set of stainless manifolds made for a rover v8 in a sierra for 800 quid. but if your paying the same money better getting soemthing tried and tested. The 1uzfe is really starting to gain a fanbase as a cheap powerful engine. hopefully the aftermarket parts will start to come through

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process of having the headers fitted along with a full Tanabe exhaust system and a custom Y pipe to connect it all up. I'm not sure if I should keep the mid box or not. The current system on the car drones like mad at 1500rpm and that is a straight through. Would it be too quiet with the mid and back boxes on though? This is a twin decat. If anyone knows what a Tanabe Medallion Touring exhaust sounds like, is it louder than stock?

Tanabe.jpg

I ran a straight through 3" system with just a small back box, running custom headers too, it was very snap crackle and pop, no drone'ing though.

rxv8 would know, he built it. I think it is 2X 2.5 decat pipes from the stock manifolds into a 2.5 Y-pipe, into what I think is a 3" mid and end pipe with a fairly small back box. Similar to the RSR style.

Decided to keep the mid box. I listened to some samples of it on Scoobys and some Supras, and it sounds good still with the mid box in place. Idle is going to be quieter which suits me. I'd like to know what causes the drone because that's more the problem than the actual loudness, if you know what I mean. Imagine someone humming loudly in your ear up to about 1800rpm then it goes away and is replaced with the real V8 sounds.

rxv8 would know, he built it. I think it is 2X 2.5 decat pipes from the stock manifolds into a 2.5 Y-pipe, into what I think is a 3" mid and end pipe with a fairly small back box. Similar to the RSR style.

Decided to keep the mid box. I listened to some samples of it on Scoobys and some Supras, and it sounds good still with the mid box in place. Idle is going to be quieter which suits me. I'd like to know what causes the drone because that's more the problem than the actual loudness, if you know what I mean. Imagine someone humming loudly in your ear up to about 1800rpm then it goes away and is replaced with the real V8 sounds.

Usually when the cats are gutted? Have you got proper decat pipes on it, or were the old cats just bashed and emptied out?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fella! I've had your Tanabe Touring Medallion exhaust in my garage since the London Motor Museum meet (which I didn't go to). It's only just been fitted to a custom Y pipe into Rush headers the last week or so. Here it is fitted and running.