The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slack drive train

ZippyTT

Can anybody help?

I seem to have quite alot of slack in the drive train. Whilst backing off and then accelerating again in 1st / 2nd / 3rd there is a thud as the transmition takes up the slack. Also a bit of a thud when pulling away. It's a 6sp manual with 56,000 on the clock.

Is there any way of adjusting this out or is it something in the diff. / mounts?

I have done a search but cant find anything. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Zippy

i get a thud too. i think mine is something to do with the diff cos when i was under the car i turned the prop a bit by hand and could see the driveshafts being pulled slightly inwards towards the diff as they rotated and thats when the thud happens so it could be that mate. still not sure how to fix it though, i have been avoiding the issue cos i dont have a clue :)

I've always had a bit of a clunk when letting off the throttle at lower speeds/rpm. I've taken the diff off before (and put my new rear diff and subframe mounts on) and rotated the prop by hand and the clunk remains. It seems to come from around the gearbox area so I don't think it is the diff. I assumed it was just a characteristic of the V160/161 gearbox; strong but not very refined.

I'd had this too only my old 6spd. There were two issues found

1) The flywheel dampener was beyond limits, new flywheel needed. This made a massive difference to the feel of it

2) Diff backlash was quite high. I never did get it fixed, so not sure how much of an issue it was

However, 6spds are quite clunky boxes, have you driven another 6spd to see if your one is that much different?

whiftbiz bushes will sort it out mate..

its a nice mod to do for the throw..

speal to paul he sells loads..

easy job to do aswell

Which bushes are you referring to, the shifter mechanism or the greabox support bracket?

Either way, stock ones should be fine and not cause the symptoms he's explained. Solid bushes would not be desirable on a road car, they transmit noise and can mask other problems.

Which bushes are you referring to, the shifter mechanism or the greabox support bracket?

Either way, stock ones should be fine and not cause the symptoms he's explained. Solid bushes would not be desirable on a road car, they transmit noise and can mask other problems.

gearbox support brackets - i was led to believe this helps with the throw and imporves it ?

As homer said. The gearbox is ok, it's when backing off and the re-accelerating in low gears when the thud happens (without changing gear).

From the posts it seems to me that it may be the fly wheel and worn diff. bushes.

Will have a look under the car this weekend.

As homer said. The gearbox is ok, it's when backing off and the re-accelerating in low gears when the thud happens (without changing gear).

From the posts it seems to me that it may be the fly wheel and worn diff. bushes.

if the flywheel was worn your clutch will slip also..

I get it too. It seems to happen mainly in 4th when going about 30-35mph when I let of it makes a clunk noise twice and the car feels like it rocks back and forth slightly as the noise happens.

Also while we're on it, as no one answered it in my other thread, when going over bumps, when the gearstick moves (as it normally would), it's making a creaking and squeaking sound. I can't replicate the sound when moving it by hand so I can only assume it's something (maybe gearbox if that's possible) moving around when the car goes over a bump.

I get it too. It seems to happen mainly in 4th when going about 30-35mph when I let of it makes a clunk noise twice and the car feels like it rocks back and forth slightly as the noise happens.

Also while we're on it, as no one answered it in my other thread, when going over bumps, when the gearstick moves (as it normally would), it's making a creaking and squeaking sound. I can't replicate the sound when moving it by hand so I can only assume it's something (maybe gearbox if that's possible) moving around when the car goes over a bump.

That sounds like old/worn gearbox mounts.

The noise I get is not when changing gear

Does anyone know if you should be able to rotate the prop a few cm either direction by hand? If not, what could be the cause of this? I think the issue is connected to that and that the clunking noise is the drivetrain picking up and taking off that slack.

Could be gearbox mounts I guess but I wouldn't of thought I could re-create the noise with so little effort on the prop for it to be that?