The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID kits - more than just for looks?

jonathanc

As I would be driving some pretty dark country roads in the future, I am wondering upgrading my headlights. My car uses halogen bulbs (H1) in a projector casing. (01 Audi A8)

I've tried the Halfords Extreme Brilliance which claims it is up to 90% brighter than normal lights but I don't really notice the difference...

I am wondering if HID kits would help here? Will they be better off? If not, any other recommendations? I would prefer a bright light which covers the widest distance and arc possible without annoying oncoming vehicles and of course staying road legal.

Many thanks! ;)

I don't think anyone buys HID's for the looks, do they?

HID lights are one of the best mods you can do to any car IMO. There have been numerous threads on here about them, and I don't recall anyone saying the advantage is the look. People compare the colour but that isn't the advantage, that's a preference.

Looks like all around positives for HIDs then ;) As mentioned earlier, some people go HID for the blue-ish white light as that is hard to replicate with normal xenon bulbs. I don't really mind about the colour as long as its legal and doesn't annoy other people.

So should I go for the lower 32(?)w or the higher 50w ones? What's the best colour temperature for brightness? I just want more confidence driving around the roads - esp when winter is around the corner! I've read good reviews about Osram Nightbreakers and Philip Xtreme power but do they really measure up to HIDs?

My car has a button to level the lights as well so I guess that would mean its easier for me to aim them. That plus the headlight washer should fulfill the legal requirement I think.

edit: I've tried a HID kit on my Supra but I was ashamed I to say I did that purely because of looks :blush: Was driving mostly inner city so didn't need the brightness.

4200K white to 12000K blue/purple. The higher the Kelvin, the darker, or bluer the light.

Stick with 42/4300K, and you won't go wrong. Unless you're after the looks, then 6000K has a blue tinge to the white. ;)[/quote

Ah right, that would really narrow it down then. What's the difference between 32w and 52w ones? Just slightly "brighter"? Don't reckon it's because of energy saving/eco friendly is it? :p

Also, is there a major difference in lumens between 4200k and 6000k?

4200K white to 12000K blue/purple. The higher the Kelvin, the darker, or bluer the light.

Stick with 42/4300K, and you won't go wrong. Unless you're after the looks, then 6000K has a blue tinge to the white. ;)

I found the 8000 better on dipped and the lights in the range rover are very blue/purple I would say they are the same as the 8000 I had in the supra.

Are you getting confused between colour discussions Jonathan or are you referring to a different forum? I've never known anyone to buy £70 HID's to get a blue look when £1 bulbs do the same. Plenty of people go for high temp HID's to get the look of blue, but that isn't the primary reason for buying the HID's in the first place..... it is just the reason for the temp choice.

6000 is the whitest, I have taken pics for a side by side comparison in previous threads, there is no blue until you hit 8000k. 4300k is the brightest light (Most lumens), but not the whitest...... other than on a chart of course... which will no doubt be posted.

The reason for going for colours other than 4300k is for the look, it makes no difference which colour you go for between 4300 and 10000k as they are all FAR brighter than standard bulbs so a noticeable gain will always be achieved. The difference in light between 4300k and 6000k is not noticeable in the slightest.

Are you getting confused between colour discussions Jonathan or are you referring to a different forum? I've never known anyone to buy £70 HID's to get a blue look when £1 bulbs do the same. Plenty of people go for high temp HID's to get the look of blue, but that isn't the primary reason for buying the HID's in the first place..... it is just the reason for the temp choice.

Trust me, £1 bulbs don't give the look... It just looks dodgy as hell plus you get lesser light due to the blue coating.

I guess my primary reason of considering HID is brightness whilst a little street cred wouldn't hurt :p

Why am I so picky? Because I might have to drill a hole in the headlamp assembly to run the wires through and I really don't like doing that to be frank. However, if its worth it and all...

I currently have Osram Nightbreakers and Philips Xtreme on the cards but if they are not going to make much difference I guess HID is the next choice...

edit: the chart supplied by AndrewOW shows different colour to your pictures Scott. Perhaps different kids varies slightly? The prices range from 30 quid to 120 quid for HID kits of the same description.

HIDs are plug and play, etc. No drilling required. Just find a place to put the ballast (behind the headlamps somewhere), and Fanny's your proverbial aunt. :)

My headlamp assembly has a "cup" that seals the bit where the headlight bulb goes in but I guess I could mod it a little no problems.

Most ballasts are waterproof these days if I am not mistaken?

Any recommendations for a kit? :D

Mine are 4300K, and are no way as yellow as that. They are so white, there are no tinges of any other colour.

Strange.

They will look like that, you just won't see it until you do a comparison. The reason they look SO yellow is because I have the cold cathode there showing up the yellow. Without them there and without the 2nd picture to look at you will think they are white as it gets.

Take a piece of a4 paper out to your car at dusk, turn your lights on and project it onto the paper and you will see what I mean ;)

Meh..just popped outside to have a look at the assembly and it has a special sealed cup enclosing the H1 projector bulb housing. I see no easy way of running the wires through without drilling the cups... Only other option is too totally forget about the cup but water will definitely get in contact with the bulb holder which I don't think is too good :p

I guess I would have to resort to xenon bulbs.