The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ticking in front of engine bay

seba

Hey just bought a supra yesterday in UK. Driving it home to belgium there where no problems or funny noises. 2 days later i start the car and immediately it starts ticking in the front of the engine. This ticking becomes faster as i rev up. no matter if the car is cold/hot ,idle or driving its there. Anyone ideas on what i might check? The car is a N/A 5 manual with about 100.000 miles combined with km from 95'. I heard a good oil flush and change might help? going to do this tomorrow but i dont have any hopes in it. I know the car has had a not so good service histori as the previous owner was so kind to be honest. Maybe timing belt?

thx

I'd have a look at the cam belt and the cam belt tensioner and pulley, and I'd also do the Tipex test on the crank damper and make sure it's torqued up properly.

I have no idea what a tipex test is or a crank damper :blink:

I'll look it up on google thx for the ideas :D

• 2 weeks later...

been a while since i posted something on this issue due to a lack of time.Last weekend i figured out that the ticking is comming from the powersteering pump. Now for the replacement, is there something in particular i have to watch out for? As i've never done this before. The pump still works as the car turns without any problem but the ticking is definitely comming from the pump. I read there are some refurb kits available, are these gonna do any good or should i just swap?

• 2 weeks later...

Well my problem seems to be "solved". I thought having problems with the powersteeringpump so i took of the belt to take out the pump. But after reallising it was a bigger job then i thought and had no time at the moment i just put the belt back on and ... the squeeking was gone. Easy and most importantly very cheap. :p

thx for the replies anyways

• 1 month later...
Well my problem seems to be "solved". I thought having problems with the powersteeringpump so i took of the belt to take out the pump. But after reallising it was a bigger job then i thought and had no time at the moment i just put the belt back on and ... the squeeking was gone. Easy and most importantly very cheap. :p

thx for the replies anyways

Its prob the belt dude, we had one the other day brand new belt and making a very mettalic noise, changed the belt and it was gone, put the belt on another car noise came back, the ribs can go out of line apparently just a faulty part. Austec had this on a TVR and virtually stripped the motor cause they kept refitting the brand new belt everytime they tried something!!!!!!

I have a ticking in the front of my engine bay but I know what it is, its the aircon fan you can see through the front of the bumper. The top bracket has rusted off and the fan wobbles and taps the bracket it came off. Check play in that.

I have a new fan I need to put on but its just getting time to get the bumper off.