The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HSD coilovers v's TEIN's

Guest EncoreWRC

Guest EncoreWRC

Has anyone had experience of Tein Coilovers against HSD Coilovers??

I was planning a Tein superstreet setup with EDFC but the HSD setup seems to do it all at a lower cost.... all except the EDFC adjustments from inside the car.....

Anyone here with any comments or experience on the matter??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had experience of Tein Coilovers against HSD Coilovers??

I was planning a Tein superstreet setup with EDFC but the HSD setup seems to do it all at a lower cost.... all except the EDFC adjustments from inside the car.....

Anyone here with any comments or experience on the matter??

I don't have experience with either set but when you take into account that you can adjust the height of the HSD's without adjusting the pre-tension then there is only one winner for me.

TDR on here went with the HSD's and was very happy with the end result. Tein SS' have always been the budget "brand" option, I almost went for them myself. Can you see yourself using the EDFC that much? I know I wouldn't. I can understand the point of it for on & off track settings but thats about it. If I want to change the damping rate i just pop the bonnet and turn the screw a few notches, not exactly a big hassle lol.

If it was my money I would go with the HSD's, no question.

Guest atheuma

i am not sure about this so dont attack me on this one. I have the impression that the HSD coilovers is for drifting though.... DONT KNOW....ANYONE PLEASE?

I doubt it. If you want to drift and have a good setup it would be down to adjustable topmounts, adjustable wishbones and different settings with the alignment of the wheel (same for any motorsport). I doubt people use different coilovers for different events, possibly different spring rates but thats about it. Most people would choose a brand of coilover depending on their budget, not what they plan on doing with said coilover.

Guest EncoreWRC

Depends what you want to do with drifting. I am a sponsored drifter.. .I have Coilovers, with extenable trackrod / lower ball joint arms as found on a cosworth... thats about it... Its the way you adjust them and camber the wheels with a few steering tweaks.

Scotts right.. the Driftworks S15 uses HSD's but its in conjunction with several other steering and suspension modifications....

I think it all depends on the complete setup as a whole. HSD state its track / road use at the turn of a screw/button!

I've got the HSD's on mine. I haven't had the teins to compare, but I can state the ride is sublime, not crashy at all. It feels smoother than my old stock suspension on my first supra (though that would probably mean the shocks were knackered :D ). It's improved the handling of the car no end. I've had the GEO setup on them and the 19's its rolling on do not present any issues. You'll read loads of comments on here saying that 19's are a big no no, you'll ruin the handling and it'll tramline. Well, that may be the case on a stock suspension setup, but the 19's on mine have no detrimental effect at all. No tramlining, no skittishness, no scary moments whatsoever.

I haven't got the superstreets but have the tein flex's and have been so pleased with them. Car handles brilliantly now and ride comfort is very similar to stock. Can't comment on hsd's tho.

:)

You have the coilovers i would have bought if i could have afforded them at the time. I think the HSD's are very similar to the Flex version. They have very similar operation with regards to height etc. The only difference i can see is a possible difference in the spring stiffness. Won't be much though.

Now its a case of buying the "Name" brand or the not so well known brand. I think money no object they are both as good as each other. Superstreets would be a step down IMO.

Ok well i have had both Teins and HSD's my car currently has HSD's for a few months now. I can say the HSD's are way way better on the road and there is no knocking noise and they are quieter. The ride is very comfortable with these.

:thumbs:

Guest atheuma
You have the coilovers i would have bought if i could have afforded them at the time. I think the HSD's are very similar to the Flex version. They have very similar operation with regards to height etc. The only difference i can see is a possible difference in the spring stiffness. Won't be much though.

Now its a case of buying the "Name" brand or the not so well known brand. I think money no object they are both as good as each other. Superstreets would be a step down IMO.

so you think with tein ss it will be a step down compared to stock coilover of supra?

Internally the valving and piston seals, and the rod sealing are a POS compared to even a basic Bilstein or Koni, but neither of the latter are pretty anodised colours or talked about much in Japanese performance magazines ;) It's what's INSIDE a damper that matters to the tyre, not how pretty they look in the glass case at the dealers.

Are they that bad Chris? Have you opened up a set of HSD's to see whats in them? I would love a set of Billies but I didn't see any options for height adjustable (a must for me unfortunately). I must admit i've had no hassle at all with my Megan Racing coilovers, they feel really smooth. I guess time will tell with the seals though.

Guest EncoreWRC

I must admit.... HSD'd do seem to be up and coming and as I am a drift nut... the HSD's that are being used in that scene really take some heavy abuse and seem to take it well.... However, I do not intend to abuse them to that extent.... still worth consideration in my book....

Adjustable as in ride height, or damping, or both? I can't fathom peoples obsession with adjustable ride height, personally. I would approach Nitron and see how much for a set of triple adjustables, they are pretty good value, although far from "ultimate". I have sold 4 of these kits for Skylines and they are very good for the money. I base most of my kits on Bilsteins, which are quite cheap to revalve, but they don't do an adjustable damping unit at sensible money, unfortunately. I can and have converted them to adjustable ride height though. In fact I have the kits in stock to make my kit adjustable ride height at extra cost.

Guest EncoreWRC

but when you are on a very tight budget.... you are limited to options... and I think the main aim of everyone in that situation is to get the best for your money... not always the best product... and I think thats what I was going on about at the start of this thread. I will only have about £800 available when it comes to my purchase... so I want the best coilovers that £800 will buy..... If I had £3k then I am sure I could buy super dooper carbon, dilithium, titanium starship enterprise stuff... but not with £800 I can't....!

I value your opinion Chris, so what would you go for with a budget of about £800... give or take a few quid..... maybe top the budget at £1k