The mkiv Supra Owners Club

autobox problem/query?

LOGIE

hi i done a search on this issue but to no avail :( ive owned my supra for 14 months now with no probs whatsoever but one thing i did notice is my oil level on my autobox dipstick is always very high (approx an inch above top notch) no matter wether its hot or cold, ive purchased TYPE IV Automatic trans fluid because i was going to change the oil in the autobox sump. So my main Question(s) are..

1 is the high level a problem?

2 if i change it where do i top it up as i can only find the drain plug?

thanks for your advice ;)

Refilling the auto is not straight forward.

You have two choices. A top up, about 1.5 litres, is exactly what it says. Drain a couple of litres and top up.

However to get a complete change, you need to drain it and then run it in various gears and keep topping off. Lots of oil on the other side of the converter.

Quite possibly yours has been overfilled. You'll need one of those pressure fillers to squirt the oil in. I think the filler is quite out of sight/reach on the top of the box. Not easy bud. I paid a garage to do it. :)

Yep you fill it up by the dipstick tube

No, don't do that! to check the oil level, it's only a rough guide.

The correct procude for checking the autobox oil level is:

1) park the car on a level surface

2) With the engine idling and handbrake applied, select the shifter into all positions from "P" to "L" and then back to "P"

3) pull out the dipstick, wipe off the excess oil, re-insert the dipstick and check that the oil level is in the "hot" area

This must be done with the car at normal operating temperature (gear oil at 70-80 degrees C)

Wait until the engine has cooled down (30 mins) if the car has been driven at extended high speeds, if the weather is hot (30+ degrees), or if the car has been sat in heavy traffic.

No, don't do that! to check the oil level, it's only a rough guide.

The correct procude for checking the autobox oil level is:

1) park the car on a level surface

2) With the engine idling and handbrake applied, select the shifter into all positions from "P" to "L" and then back to "P"

3) pull out the dipstick, wipe off the excess oil, re-insert the dipstick and check that the oil level is in the "hot" area

This must be done with the car at normal operating temperature (gear oil at 70-80 degrees C)

Wait until the engine has cooled down (30 mins) if the car has been driven at extended high speeds, if the weather is hot (30+ degrees), or if the car has been sat in heavy traffic.

ok cheers homer, will it do any damage if the level is still too high? its been like that for about 15 months that ive owned it.

If it's more than say an inch over the full mark measured correctly (running engine) it may foam the fluid or vent some out. It may also over heat. Too low may cause slippage, air inclusion and over heating. I would correct the level if it's more than 10mm overfull. If it's low it MUST be corrected, **slightly** over full isn't as bad.

If it's more than say an inch over the full mark measured correctly (running engine) it may foam the fluid or vent some out. It may also over heat. Too low may cause slippage, air inclusion and over heating. I would correct the level if it's more than 10mm overfull. If it's low it MUST be corrected, **slightly** over full isn't as bad.

thanks chris, im gonna drain it this weekend to be sure. much appreciated