The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fueling setup for a small single

Homer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex,

Do we have any afr logs to look at for the run that didn't produce the goods?

What about intake temps and fuel quality - any timing pulling going on?

Compression or leakdown test results?

Cam timing correct?

Definitely getting 100% throttle opening?

Trac butterfly in correct orientation?

Boost pressure we think was run, was this measured - at turbo? or at plenum?

Just a few ideas.

Hands up who's got a Precision based T61 or a Garrett GT35R on 550cc injectors

errrr that will be me then Boostlogic T61 on tubular manifold 510 rwhp @ 1.4 bar boost, s**t i said i was done with this thread but it annoys me that some people get so upset that you CAN run this turbo on 550's and shock horror SAFC/ITC and even worse ......................wait for it :eyebrows: .............an FSE fuel regulator:hide:

No s**t...I meant other people....as you were done with this thread and all you wanted to do was rant.

I think that is a little unfair mate. He defended his set up against certain (in your words) mis-information. You then asked if anyone was running a BL type turbo with 550's etc and he replied he was. Hardly a rant eh?

alex, if i hit 510 at the wheels (hubs, whatever :D ) then flywheel would be a lot higher with an Auto!

I beleive its around the 20% mark (can of worms :D )

Believe what you like mate - not a fan of Thor figures myself. :thumbs:

I think that is a little unfair mate. He defended his set up against certain (in your words) mis-information. You then asked if anyone was running a BL type turbo with 550's etc and he replied he was. Hardly a rant eh?

He got arsy twice...even after I'd held my hands up...what more did he want?

Thanks Scott...definately looks like there was an existing problem before Pig's was modified.

Looks like you're all able to get to the ~550FlywheelBHP old rule of thumb maximum on 550cc injectors.

Only if there's an increase in static pressure or you run them at 100% duty :eek:

A good "rule of thumb" is that 1cc of fuel will make 0.6-0.65BHP (B.S.F.C) on a turbocharged car. Multiply that up to 550 and you get 523bhp, but then you wouldn't want to run your injectors more than say 85% so 85% of 523 is 445BHP.

Of course if you increase the static pressure, then effectively you're increasing the size of the injector, but then it's no longer flowing 550cc's is it?

if you increase the static pressure, then effectively you're increasing the size of the injector, but then it's no longer flowing 550cc's is it?

Which is why - I've got myself an Aero FPR. My car runs 1.4 bar for the occassional play. AFR's are about 11.7 at that point - if memory serves.

My car's fueling is setup - safe. But I want it to be safer & the map more accurate. Because as far as I know .. the SAFC-2 only monitors RPM - not boost pressure. So, upgrading to an E-Manage blue - shortly.

Go for a Dyno anywhere! Someone will always say "their figures are bullshit"

No win situation!

It's not that sinister. But it is true. It's only because Dyno numbers - given from rolling roads can vary alot. Because of this, performance figures are either overstated or understated - so getting an accurate BHP figure is v.difficult.

I think the trap times from a standing quarter ... gives a much better comparison.

It's not that sinister. But it is true. It's only because Dyno numbers - given from rolling roads can vary alot. Because of this, performance figures are either overstated or understated - so getting an accurate BHP figure is v.difficult.

I think the trap times from a standing quarter ... gives a much better comparison.

Yea so if you get your car dyno'd anywhere apart from thor,there seems to be a lot of members on here that seem to think it doesnt count,the dyno sheets bullshit,the graph looks wrong etc etc etc.

IMO:)

alex, if i hit 510 at the wheels (hubs, whatever :D ) then flywheel would be a lot higher with an Auto!

I beleive its around the 20% mark (can of worms :D )

I am defo gonna go to thors.lol..

I only made 430bhp at the wheels @ about 1.3 bar..

I have bought various turbo's in the past encluding the ebay type units. The pt70 turbo , that is advertised on the SS autochrome is a 60.5 trim turbo with a .70 AR , I have used this on a friends car , it does provide an excellent replacement if your twins have gone , the power on these units is very aggresive -(they do kick in at a very steep power curve) and fade off at the top end scale , i found the driving method to be to aggresive as i prefer a turbo that brings the on gradually , even with the boost controller gain set to the min , we were still spinning the tyres at 4500rpm from 1-3 gears . He established a good 550hp at the crank running 550 injectors boosting at 1.4 bar . the inject duty cycle was hitting 95% so there was no room to play with . He has now installed a gt4080 turbo this has a 64 trim and .80 AR , running high imp 650 MOTRON (power enterprise) injectors test flowed to 90%. The power delivery on this turbo was not as aggresive but very liner across the power curve, he likes the setup because you can control the power delivery exiting a roundabout rather then oh shit power is on, power is off as on the t70 ebay job . He now still had 550hp but torque went up to 410 and duty cycle on 1.4 bar is only 65%. .

spec :

gt4080 .80ar

dual fuel walbro fuel pumps

aeromotive fpr

650 high imp MOTRON

hks fuel rail

ebay FMIC

AEM

So to recap , 550 will run a T70 ebay or PTE61 /BL61 but if you run on on the 500-540hp border region then pushing the 550cc to 90-95% cycle is not really recommended, but on the flip side running 550cc using stock rail and sp61 set at 1.3bar is much better then twins , remember is not all about HP , but about how the turbo brings the power on ... well thats my little bit of input based on my experiance .

Oooh, this took off in the last couple of days.

Paul Mac, my dear chap, I wanted to know those numbers to see what's different between your setup and all the other 550cc ones I've personally seen. It wasn't a trap, or a shot across your bows, just a genuine attempt to see why yours works. Unfortunately you don't know these things so, as much as you say "it works!" there isn't really much useful info in that :shrug: I'm not saying it doesn't work, obviously it does because your car moves :D

I think it's all down to fuel pressure and possibly how far people are willing to push their duty cycles. If you want to wind the pressure up to make 550's behave like 620's or so on your own car then that's fine, but I'm not going to do that on other people's cars. Same for running 95%+ duty :shrug:

-Ian

I think it's all down to fuel pressure and possibly how far people are willing to push their duty cycles.

Ian, how much fuel pressure are we talking about ? Mine is currently set to 40psi which from many sources I'm told - it's stock. But I've read on here that 36psi is stock too.

I ask only because - you're going to mapping my E-Manage ;)