The mkiv Supra Owners Club

best behaviour for my stock A340E autobox

carl0s

I've been meaning to ask for a while, which is better for my autobox: holding on the brake at lights w/the TC doing it's stuff, or dropping out of drive into neutral? will doing the latter bother the box at all, long term?

It seems very happy to be dropped into drive while it's moving, say for example I'm coming to a red light so I knock it into neutral, then the lights have changed so I drop back into Drive while still rolling.

any thoughts?

cheers,

Carl

I think it depends on how long you're going to be sitting there. If it's any length of time I'd bung it into neutral. I'm no expect (no, really) but I would have thought all the time it's sitting there in D it's just wear and tear on the TC.

As for the other one :eek: It doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but someone more knowledgeable may pop up shortly and say 'Nah, it's fine'.

Just remember - there are no serviceable parts in the autobox, once damaged it's a straight replacement (£++). Treat it nicely :)

I thought that was only the case with the Getrag 6sp. The A340 was used in the MkIII Sup, (A340E is an evolution of it) and as such I thought some people kind of had an idea what was going on inside it and could maybe fix certain problems?

you can get uprated gears, i have had a new oil filter for my gearbox and have had a broken oil pump swopped from a uk gearbox to my broken jap box. you can get replacements in america as i have asked about them.

seems over here they dont offer parts. CW told me.

if your box goes you can pick up a spare box as there is lots of auto supras about.

i keep mine in drive most of time and have pulled the trac fuse too

I read this in a Supra buyer's guide in Japanese Performance Mag

I was gonna back order that issue, but unfortunately I've come to the oppinion that even Japanese Performance Mag is not much more than another showcase for new 'tuning' companies.

The article was 'okay' - it had a few inaccuracies and just briefly touched on stuff like the VVTI, paddle shift and Aerotop models which was a bit poor. The actual car they used for the photoshoot wasn't a particularly good choice either being a J-Spec with UK bonnet scoop (just to confuse people!).

Didn't really seem to be anything in there that you couldn't find out on here.

Every time you put an auto box in neutral or park brake and / or clutch packs engage and disengage, and that causes wear. As any New York Yellow Cab driver will tell you max auto box life comes from leaving in drive unless you are expecting to be staionary for many minutes. They also run modified valve bodies to give hard shifts. Uncomfortable for passengers but less slip equals less wear, and these boys don't like box rebuilds ;)

So leave in drive unless you are stuck in a major jam.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

Every time you put an auto box in neutral or park brake and / or clutch packs engage and disengage, and that causes wear. As any New York Yellow Cab driver will tell you max auto box life comes from leaving in drive unless you are expecting to be staionary for many minutes. They also run modified valve bodies to give hard shifts. Uncomfortable for passengers but less slip equals less wear, and these boys don't like box rebuilds ;)

So leave in drive unless you are stuck in a major jam.

Buggering buggeration. And there was me thinking how good I was being by conscientiously shifting into neutral every time the car is stationary for two nanoseconds.

Sigh.

Originally posted by Tannhauser

Buggering buggeration. And there was me thinking how good I was being by conscientiously shifting into neutral every time the car is stationary for two nanoseconds.

Sigh.

hehe that's exactly why I asked :-)

• 3 years later...

Sigh.

Same here. :( Thanks Chris.

Perhaps we could collate all of Chris's "pearls of wisdom" into one cohesive document. Would save a lot time and embarassment. :)