The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Overheated today.

TonyP

Firstly I have to admit I have absolutely zero knowledge about what happens under the bonnet of my car. (I fill it with petrol, clean it and pay the bills) So please keep it simple and forgive me if I sound like a t**t.

Drove from Bournemouth to Basingstoke this morning app. 60 miles mainly motorway, no problems.

When I drove back had gone about 40 miles, doing about 80, put my foot down and nothing would accelerate for a second and the completely lose power then accelerate again.

By the time I was able to stop had the main red ! triangle light on, the ! light by the temp gauge and a light in the centre console that looks like an exhaust box with smoke coming off?!

Stopped for 30 mins, checked radiator, that was full but steaming and set off again. Got back to bournemouth and broke down again. Stopped for five minutes to cool down and got home.

Also I think at one point the orange oil light may have come on.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Doesn’t sound good, where was the steam coming from? Was the temp gauge in the red? Was the air con on, did you try putting the heaters on full to cool it down?

Took rad cap off. Not steaming as such just hot. Temp gauge normal. Happened with air-con on, and later with it off.

What are the levels like in the coolant bottle and on the oil dipstick? (no offence, just don't know how much or little you know about cars!)

No offence taken. Seriously I know nothing. Really it's quite embarrassing getting to my age knowing so little. I think I'm going to have to make more of an effort now.

Haven't had a chance to check the dipstick and what the hell is a coolant bottle???lol

coolant bottle should be between you and the rad cap when you are stood infront of the engine bay.........it should be half(ish) full

You say overheating in your title but it seems that the coolant level and temp are fine?

can you describe the breakdown? you were obviously ok to restart it? any noises? did it just die on you again?

coolant bottle should be between you and the rad cap when you are stood infront of the engine bay.........it should be half(ish) full

You say overheating in your title but it seems that the coolant level and temp are fine?

can you describe the breakdown? you were obviously ok to restart it? any noises? did it just die on you again?

Never actually brokedown as such. Even when I stopped on the motorway, ( on motorway could only manage about 45mph) could still start it.

When I stopped in bournemouth It would start but not idle. Waited for 5 minsstarted and just made it home.

Now as you know I'm no expert, but, when I lifted the bonnet it did smell hot and there was smoke coming from somewhere. (Don't ask me where!! On the left at the bottom somewhere)

(By the time I was able to stop had the main red ! triangle light on, the ! light by the temp gauge and a light in the centre console that looks like an exhaust box with smoke coming off?!)

sounds like ya cat was cooking. poss blocked if you could only get 45mph?

Now as you know I'm no expert, but, when I lifted the bonnet it did smell hot and there was smoke coming from somewhere. (Don't ask me where!! On the left at the bottom somewhere)

On an NA i can only immediately think of the water pump/thermostat area.......

Water pump is directly behind the big fan (think WWII aircraft propeller!)

Thermostat is off the rear of this and from this comes a pipe approx 2" diameter that goes to the bottom of the radiator on the left.........If you look directly down from the left of the distributor (top of the engine, on the left with all the leads/wires coming out of it!)

you should see the pipe join the thermostat/water pump.........if you are feeling brave, one 10mm bolt will remove the plastic air intake that sits over the top of the left side of the radiator....remove this and you should see the pipe and where it enters the rad..........

If all fluids levels are ok, i would try starting it and watch the areas described..........if its low on coolant i'd advise topping up and doing the same...........low on oil may be more serious and you should be more cautious in starting/driving it (post back here)

:D :D :D

On an NA i can only immediately think of the water pump/thermostat area.......

Water pump is directly behind the big fan (think WWII aircraft propeller!)

Thermostat is off the rear of this and from this comes a pipe approx 2" diameter that goes to the bottom of the radiator on the left.........If you look directly down from the left of the distributor (top of the engine, on the left with all the leads/wires coming out of it!)

you should see the pipe join the thermostat/water pump.........if you are feeling brave, one 10mm bolt will remove the plastic air intake that sits over the top of the left side of the radiator....remove this and you should see the pipe and where it enters the rad..........

If all fluids levels are ok, i would try starting it and watch the areas described..........if its low on coolant i'd advise topping up and doing the same...........low on oil may be more serious and you should be more cautious in starting/driving it (post back here)

Thanks. I'll have a look tomorrow. Btw do actually kow what a distributor is! (and even what it does, kind of) :D

Oh come on what does that mean? And more importantly, is it expensive??

your cat may have overheated (the first orange light you described)........if you want one from toyota yes it will be expensive.....however secondhand you'll get one for £30-60..

Don't think it would smoke as such though..........

your cat may have overheated (the first orange light you described)........if you want one from toyota yes it will be expensive.....however secondhand you'll get one for £30-60..

Don't think it would smoke as such though..........

That doesn't sound too bad. Isthat the first cat? Looking down the lefthand side of the engine when I stopped somehing looked very hot!

Buying a new manifold from Nic which replaces first cat will that cure this?

That doesn't sound too bad. Isthat the first cat? Looking down the lefthand side of the engine when I stopped somehing looked very hot!

Buying a new manifold from Nic which replaces first cat will that cure this?

Well Nic's manifold will replace the first cat........basically under the alloy heat shield on that side of the engine are 2 cast manifolds (3 exhaust ports into 1 exit) the 1st Cat joins the 2 exits from the pair of manifolds and goes from 2 to 1 and joins the 2nd Cat right at the back of the engine bay (you should be able to see this........Nic's manifold replaces all the stock castings and 1st Cat and goes from 6 to 1 in one go...........

This may or may not be your problem........the Cat will be very hot anyway........difficult for us to determine whether is was different to normal?

Well Nic's manifold will replace the first cat........basically under the alloy heat shield on that side of the engine are 2 cast manifolds (3 exhaust ports into 1 exit) the 1st Cat joins the 2 exits from the pair of manifolds and goes from 2 to 1 and joins the 2nd Cat right at the back of the engine bay (you should be able to see this........Nic's manifold replaces all the stock castings and 1st Cat and goes from 6 to 1 in one go...........

This may or may not be your problem........the Cat will be very hot anyway........difficult for us to determine whether is was different to normal?

Thanks for taking the time. It's appreciated. I'll check everything I can tomorrow and report back.:thanks:

did the car do 45mph all the way home?

i would warm it up 2 day and go for another drive!!

i had a lexus gs300 in the other week (same engine) where one of the 1st cat's had broken up and bloked the 2nd cat.

causing the car to go about 50mph, the car also sounded strange when reved from a stand still

did the car do 45mph all the way home?

i would warm it up 2 day and go for another drive!!

i had a lexus gs300 in the other week (same engine) where one of the 1st cat's had broken up and bloked the 2nd cat.

causing the car to go about 50mph, the car also sounded strange when reved from a stand still

No. It gradually got worse. I stopped before it actually conked out but I'm sure it would have done if I'd carried on.

Three miles from home I stopped and the enjine would not start again. Turned over and fired but wouldn't idle. Left it for 5 minutes and it started and made it home. Just.

It does sound strange though. Can't explain it but it doesn't sound right.

Probably your first cat has broken up and debris from it blocked your second cat. This would have caused a loss of power as the exhaust can't get out and made the exhaust temp go sky high.

Either that or the exhaust temp was sky high, melted the first cat which then blocked the second cat and blocked it (this only normally happens at WOT up near peak power).

The smoke is the over heated cat. The place you describe it coming from is the right place.

Take the first & second cats out. The first cat is most probably an empty shell. You can just leave it that way and get some extra power :) The second cat MAY be able to be saved by picking the sludge off the face of the brick (will look like reddy brown sludge, probably mostly in a puddle at the bottom). If the second cat isn't salvegable then smash the brick out and have a full decat.

There may be a reason for the overheat in the first place, if it wasn't the first cat breaking up. That will need to be looked into to make sure all is ok.