The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High Idle on N/A engine

supRo

2JZ N/A engine (Lexus GS300 Auto UK spec)

I'm getting high idle - just over 2000 rpm on cold start and about 1000-1100 when hot/

I will renew the air filter. Should I also remove and clean the intake manifold???

I will clean the MAF and air temp sensor - is brake cleaner (spray) ok?

Also can exhaust leak cause high idle?

Thanks,

Ro

600 - 650 is right for my TT also. With A/C on it's close to 1,000.

Cold start is 2,000rpm, as we already know, due to the fast idle procedure.

Are you sure A/C isn't switched on?

Nope - the AC is off.

Fuel consumption is high too (Higher than my BPU Supra, even when giving it a thrash!)

Faye's NA idles at about 600 or so when hot! Certainly not 1200!

I don't know the NA engine at all - but I would have thought what I'm getting is a little high. Obviously the relatively high Idle (compared to my TT anyway) is quite load and a cruiser like the GS300 doesn't seem to be right being that loud

Firstly a big thanks to Absxxxx, who was kind enough to check and diagnose the car.

The car is indeed running high Idle - the throttle cable has been tightened. This is masking the underlying issues. I knew there's bit of a misfire and slight exhaust leak but it's worst than I thought. The fuel consumption is higher than my BPU TT because it's running on 5 Cylinders!!!

Abs colleague stepped in and this guy is a genius - By standing next to the car he said "the misfiring is not because of a ignition or exhaust leak issue - it's a vacuum problem"!! And indeed he was right!

They then sprayed a special fluid over the vacuum pipes (This is a Maf sensor based N/A engine) and found out that it's coming from the throttle body to intake manfold gasket. Hopefully it's just the gasket and not a crack somewhere.

So it's time to get my hands dirty and start fixing her up.

Cheers Abs and everyone who posted,

Ro

• 1 year later...