The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sports Cat and BPU

Ady

Gaz if I supplied a 3" 1st decat (apexi one) could you fit a sports cat into the pipe?? this is something ive been considering for a while now as mine overboosts like a biatch in the colder weather :(

at the moment ive stuck the 1st cat back in to bring boost down to resonable levels but my EGT's are now a sorry state of affairs and hate to see what there going to be like in the summer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can supply the Weds Revcatalyzer for £369 including postage

http://www.weds.co.jp/images/products/gt/catalyzer_pic_03.jpg

Hi everyone.

Ive been watching this thread develop for a time now and Im very intrested in the sports cat Nic posted, though I have a few questions and if anyone could answer them it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a UK TT with second cat removed and a super dragger and pipe through to the first cat, would adding a sports cat give me a better bhp? would I have a problem with O2 sensors? (are there 2 on a uk?) and slightly aside, everyone talks about fitting an RR on a full de-cat J spec do you not need it on the UK TT?

Cheers.

Bob.

Gaz if I supplied a 3" 1st decat (apexi one) could you fit a sports cat into the pipe?? this is something ive been considering for a while now as mine overboosts like a biatch in the colder weather :(

at the moment ive stuck the 1st cat back in to bring boost down to resonable levels but my EGT's are now a sorry state of affairs and hate to see what there going to be like in the summer

Hi Mikey,

I'd rather put the cat in the 2nd pipe - theres more room TBH.

Gaz.

Hi everyone.

Ive been watching this thread develop for a time now and Im very intrested in the sports cat Nic posted, though I have a few questions and if anyone could answer them it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a UK TT with second cat removed and a super dragger and pipe through to the first cat, would adding a sports cat give me a better bhp? would I have a problem with O2 sensors? (are there 2 on a uk?) and slightly aside, everyone talks about fitting an RR on a full de-cat J spec do you not need it on the UK TT?

Cheers.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

From what I gather sport cats are less restrictive than normal cats which in turn will give you extra bhp. Being a UK you have two O2 sensors, the first is before the first cat and the second is in the second cat. You say you've had the second cat removed so you already have a flange welded to that one with the O2 sensor plumbed in, so no need to worry about the O2 sensors.

If you want to fit a sport cat in replacement of the the first cat then you will need to buy one from the US as they will fit the UK Supra, where as the sport cats from Japan will all be for JDM cars and hence will not fit.

If you wanted to go for one of Gaz's sports cats you could remove your second decat pipe and sell it, purchase a UK first decat pipe along with a sports cat from Gaz. Just make sure you get the flange welded into the sports cat.

In regards to a restrictor ring on a UK spec, you don't need one due to the UK having a larger wastegate. Click on BPU for more info.

Thanks Burna, Im glad somone talked to me. I need to have a good look at my exhaust to make sure that the sensor where the second cat was is there, the pipe I have fitted goes all the way from the rear box to the first cat, so it would work out expensive to get Gaz to do it.

Cheers

Bob.

Thanks Burna, Im glad somone talked to me. I need to have a good look at my exhaust to make sure that the sensor where the second cat was is there, the pipe I have fitted goes all the way from the rear box to the first cat, so it would work out expensive to get Gaz to do it.

Cheers

Bob.

No problem :)

It if were you I would bin the first cat and just get UK first decat pipe. I would guess although sports cats are less restrictive they will still be more restrictive than a straight through decat pipe, and if you planning on running more boost than what the sports cat allows then EGT's are surely going to increase compared to a decat pipe. Whether the EGT's will still be within a acceptable level I have no idea as I don't know of anyone with a sports cat fitted or seen any EGT information posted.

When it comes to MOT time either find a friendly MOT tester ;) or just drop the second cat back in, it's a hell of a lot easier to swap the second one in and out than the first.

You just can't beat the sound of a UK with full decat, sports exhaust, and no restrictor ring when that second turbo comes online :cool: It's like god shouting! :D

• 7 months later...