The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with 2nd turbo! Help!

supra_surj

The SMIC would cause that problem would?

No don't think so, if the SMIC was old and knackered then it would affect the boost and performance would reduced as the turbos got hotter and hotter. From cold the car would perform fine especially in the cold weather.

Also I really don't think a knackered SMIC would cause the car to "start shaking and juddering and doesnt go past 5k" this definately sounds for like a miss fire, fuel and or Electrical problem to me.

but then what do i know ? just my 2ps worth

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried a few things today,one of which put a smile on my face :)

I temporarily changed the vac hoses cutting out the VSV's so the car was set up in TTC mode and went for a bit of a drive.

Resulting in that both turbo's boosted fine at 4000 rpm :D back to 1.2 bar and the car didn't shake or splutter.

I'm going to place an order at Mr.T for some new VSV's.

As previously stated, it sounds electrical and missfire related. However i would start with running in TTC mode (ie bypass the VSV's) just to rule them out. Obviously check for error codes too.

If that doesnt work then replace the spark plugs with NGK BKR7E's, only cost £13 for all 6 from a motor factors. They wont last as long as platinums but i prefer them and just change them when i change the oil.

Then check sub TPS sensor, spark plug/injector connectors, gearbox sensor, etc...its not fun finding the source of a problem. If you could get a video of it running so we can hear the engine it may help.

I was checking my coil pack connectors yesterday and kind of broke the plastic bit round a pin,the bit the white bit clips to and now i get a funny noise from my turbo when it spools up and 2nd Turbo hardly comes on.

But when i went to TTC mode today all was fine,so im going to MR.T for new coil pack connectors and vsv's.

I have what sounds like the same problem........pretty much had everything checked apart from the vsv actuators themselves. I'm getting these checked ina couple of weeks.

How do i re plumb the car to run in TTC mode when i have the avcr boost controller fitted. Does anyone have any diagrams??

This would possibly help to diagnose the source of the problem.

Very interested to see how u guys get on with this problem.

I have what sounds like the same problem........pretty much had everything checked apart from the vsv actuators themselves. I'm getting these checked ina couple of weeks.

How do i re plumb the car to run in TTC mode when i have the avcr boost controller fitted. Does anyone have any diagrams??

This would possibly help to diagnose the source of the problem.

Very interested to see how u guys get on with this problem.

Its easy mate, there is a thread somewhere with pics i think.

Basically you just bypass the IACV + EGCV vsv's so the actuators are always opened.

See this first pic, at the top left you can see the IACV actuator and vsv. The vacuum pipe goes to the vsv then to the actuator, all you have to do is bypass the vsv.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13940&d=1112558977

The EGCV actuator is shown in the next pic, just follow the actuator hose to the vsv thats mounted to the hanger on the front of the first turbo (cant find a good pic of it, sorry). Just bypass it as you did with the first vsv. Hope that helps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13944&d=1112559002

Its easy mate, there is a thread somewhere with pics i think.

Basically you just bypass the IACV + EGCV vsv's so the actuators are always opened.

See this first pic, at the top left you can see the IACV actuator and vsv. The vacuum pipe goes to the vsv then to the actuator, all you have to do is bypass the vsv.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13940&d=1112558977

The EGCV actuator is shown in the next pic, just follow the actuator hose to the vsv thats mounted to the hanger on the front of the first turbo (cant find a good pic of it, sorry). Just bypass it as you did with the first vsv. Hope that helps.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13944&d=1112559002

thats a wealth of knowledge and should be put in the techy section. :thumbs:

Ok guys i checked the plugs and seem ok. Checked the coil pack connectors and they also seem fine. Tried the TTC mode and 2nd turbo works just like it should so that narrows the problem down. HOWEVER ive been driving around all afternoon and quite enjoy the TTC mode. The sound from the exhaust is lovely! Also the fuel consumption reduced loads. So might keep it this way for a while.

If running in TTC mode, the vacuum hoses ive taken off, do i block the parts that are left exposed?

Surj

Ok guys i checked the plugs and seem ok. Checked the coil pack connectors and they also seem fine. Tried the TTC mode and 2nd turbo works just like it should so that narrows the problem down. HOWEVER ive been driving around all afternoon and quite enjoy the TTC mode. The sound from the exhaust is lovely! Also the fuel consumption reduced loads. So might keep it this way for a while.

If running in TTC mode, the vacuum hoses ive taken off, do i block the parts that are left exposed?

Surj

I had a feeling that may be the case, i loved TTC mode! (going single now :D ). Ideally i would block the vsv connector holes not being used with the bit of vacuum pipe you took off when bypassing them, just loop it over.