The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got stopped at 115mph

Epic

to be fair the 70mph limit has been that for so long, when everyday cars struggled to go much faster, and when the safety features were pretty much non existent, with brakes that weren't as good as today.

As for doing 115 in a supra, it is capable of 185ish, therefore this speed is pretty damn safe for this car, just as long as the driver is aware of surroundings and the road is fairly clear.

Take a look at any motorway (and that part of the A1 is effectively that), and you'll see loads of cars doing those speeds, but how many of them have the braking and control that a supra has at that speed......

not sure why you've taken it on as a personal attack against someone who has obviously posted because he thought himself damn lucky to not lose his license....

He'll probably learn from this and not go as fast next time, but we're not all saints. To expect to be on a forum for owners of highly powerful cars, and not hear anyone talk about the speeds they've done is a bit niave to be honest...

and as for kids on motorways, they shouldn't be there in the first place full stop!!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry - but the way he came on here bragging about it (and to a degree, his manner of writing) came across like one of the Max Power brigade. That's not to say he is like that - its just how the post read to me.

:yeahthat:

No one is as naive as to think that everyone drives around all the time under 70mph. But after last week and a large thread about someone going to prison for causing an accident - probably going a lot slower than this, the whole thread is a tad show offy.

to be fair the 70mph limit has been that for so long, when everyday cars struggled to go much faster, and when the safety features were pretty much non existent, with brakes that weren't as good as today.

As for doing 115 in a supra, it is capable of 185ish, therefore this speed is pretty damn safe for this car, just as long as the driver is aware of surroundings and the road is fairly clear.

Take a look at any motorway (and that part of the A1 is effectively that), and you'll see loads of cars doing those speeds, but how many of them have the braking and control that a supra has at that speed......

not sure why you've taken it on as a personal attack against someone who has obviously posted because he thought himself damn lucky to not lose his license....

He'll probably learn from this and not go as fast next time, but we're not all saints. To expect to be on a forum for owners of highly powerful cars, and not hear anyone talk about the speeds they've done is a bit niave to be honest...

and as for kids on motorways, they shouldn't be there in the first place full stop!!!!

Exactly
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_grin.gif

this should perhaps be moved to the spirited chronicles???

... ...He THEN says "ill give you the bennefit of the dought and let you off this time. its not you its everone else thats the problem, you got a nice car but the A1 aint the place for it"

Shook me hand and off he went :D

RESULT!

Looks like your attitude was right and the veiled threat didn't hurt either.

You didn't try to claim that you weren't speeding (implying that he's incompetent or lying).

Yet you did hint that he could have a fight on his hands 6 months later on, asking from him to attend court and perhaps to answer questions. More paperwork and potential embarassment. If you play it right and he comes out still looking cool, you can get off with a warning

Maybe his mph figure was plucked out of thin air and he couldn't support it in court (which you indicated that he'd have to). Who knows. Who cares now.:eyebrows:

I'd be very pleased with this result:d

I Said "OH... so how fast was you going to catch up?" he paused n was like erm, "115mph" hmmm

If he has his lights on then it doesn't matter how fast he was going.

He said he used to be a traffic officer, was very nice to me in all fairness! Didnt have a traffic car, just the astra and he said he was at full wake at 115, i count my self lucky!

I have a standard SRI Astra Sports Hatch and I have done 115 in it, I doubt the Police version would be struggling since they are usually 'loved up'. Also whats an Astra doing on the motorways? - Isn't it usually the bigger cars such as the T5s?

Either way you were lucky

But Epic wasn't the only car on this stratch of road - there was an Astra following him at the same speed.

If he didn't notice that, then his observations skills aren't up to much.

If he did notice that, then he's even more stupid than I thought from his initial post.

The officer was coming off a slip road from the junction b4 the one i was getting off at, was no way in the world i could have seen him, and it took him a whole junction to catch up as he had the astra, weather i was driving a metrol or the supra, he would have taken awhile to catch up

Looks like your attitude was right and the veiled threat didn't hurt either.

You didn't try to claim that you weren't speeding (implying that he's incompetent or lying).

Yet you did hint that he could have a fight on his hands 6 months later on, asking from him to attend court and perhaps to answer questions. More paperwork and potential embarassment. If you play it right and he comes out still looking cool, you can get off with a warning

Maybe his mph figure was plucked out of thin air and he couldn't support it in court (which you indicated that he'd have to). Who knows. Who cares now.:eyebrows:

I'd be very pleased with this result:d

And yeah.. sometimes officers what you to see what you have done. how wrong you have been and i think once they see that in someones eyes they kinda know they have done there job! he could see i drive for a living as i was in my work uniform.

don,t think he is trying to impress you matey:p

aint trying to impress anyone, its nore funny or clever, but like people have said... creeping past these speeds are easyly done. and with no traffic you fel slower yet

Thanks for the suppose guys on getting ripped apart by neo last night. wasnt to sure how people would take it.

But Epic wasn't the only car on this stratch of road - there was an Astra following him at the same speed.

If he didn't notice that, then his observations skills aren't up to much.

If he did notice that, then he's even more stupid than I thought from his initial post.

Sorry - but the way he came on here bragging about it (and to a degree, his manner of writing) came across like one of the Max Power brigade. That's not to say he is like that - its just how the post read to me.

Just my 2p.

Sorry that was more in reference to my driving style as thats how I judge when its safe to go above the limit. If Im the only one that bit of road at that time then I tend to nail it....;)

wouldnt matter if i was doing 40 on the motorway, if u hit sumone they will die. you can walk into a fire and get burn, walk onto a train track and power lines you get a shock and die! u walk onto a motor way or carrage way you get hit by a car! people know the risks and you just looking for someone to blame.

dont care how you defend it i can do 115 in mine should i want, your bragging that you got away with it, not only is that bad cause your doing 115 on the road but your showing off you got away with it

A poster is available to commemorate this thread:

(Sorry, a bit mean :))

illiterate battle.jpg

The officer was coming off a slip road from the junction b4 the one i was getting off at, was no way in the world i could have seen him, and it took him a whole junction to catch up as he had the astra, weather i was driving a metrol or the supra, he would have taken awhile to catch up

No, you wouldn't have seen him on the sliproad, but during the process of him catching you up, you would've had a set of headlights somewhere in your rear view mirror, (unless the motorway was particularly twisty! ;) ) If he could see you and he reckons he knows what speed you were doing, you must have been able to see him closing on you. (You did more or less say he caught up to you when you questioned how 2 vehicles going at the same speed can catch each other up)

Apart from that, I NEVER go past an entrance sliproad to a motorway or dual carriageway at anything over about 78mph as these are well known places for Police cars to just sit and wait for someone to go tanking past. It's like shelling peas for them FFS!

if you know your car then you know when your speeding by the way it sounds and feels. perhaps some supras have double glazing but there is no way mines a quiet as the bmws i have had before, id say they where rather noisy at speed

I have a totaly stock car, to be honist, its pritty quiet and im sure people that have seen Dave with the car at meets will also agree its silent! good for creeping up on people hehe. and i got window tints... does that count as double glazzing? :)