The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Royal Mail Latest - Rad Cover People

M4RK RZ

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that what the Unions and the workers are doing is right.

I just wish when we got shit on from a great height with our pension people would have made a stand. But the soft shits wobbled when the company said they'd shut the pension if we didn't accept it, of course they'll say stuff like this they have to shock you into accepting it. We balloted for action and the rest of the BAE sites rejected the poll for action.

So on the face of it one supervisor lost £50k off his lump sum. After giving the company about 40 years service, oh and he had to work for 3 years longer otherwise it would have cut more.

Labour should have scrapped half of the rules/laws that the amazing woman brought in.

I think that it's good that people are making a stand for there working terms and condition.

We rejected a 17% deal over 3 years early in the year, the money was good but the terms were unsavoury. They wanted agency labour, 100% inspection, acceptance of CI (continuous improvement), amongst other lesser terms.

In the end we settled for 4.5% with no strings pretty much. Again the money isn't the issue the terms are.

If I worked all day at my job, And someone said, The chap next door is going on holiday for two weeks, Can you do your normal job and all his work for two weeks, I'd kick up a fess. It may be two weeks, But all that extra work for nothing, Come on........:)

Ah but imagine your statutory working hours were 7 hours per day, you do a couple of hours work then slope off home early every day. You still get paid for the 7 hours. Then a colleague takes some time off and you then have to do his round too, you might have to work a whole 4 hours in a day!!!1!! Doesn't sound that bad now does it? They're just being asked to work a full day for which they are paid.

I still think that what the Unions and the workers are doing is right.

Can I just point out that these current strikes are unauthorised.

Ah but imagine your statutory working hours were 7 hours per day, you do a couple of hours work then slope off home early every day. You still get paid for the 7 hours. Then a colleague takes some time off and you then have to do his round too, you might have to work a whole 4 hours in a day!!!1!! Doesn't sound that bad now does it? They're just being asked to work a full day for which they are paid.

Can I just point out that these current strikes are unauthorised.

The national strikes are legal and have been balloted for..there are a few offices on unofficial action at the moment which i dont aggree with.

The national strikes are legal and have been balloted for..there are a few offices on unofficial action at the moment which i dont aggree with.

Yes you need to give 90 days notice to a company before taking legal industrial action.

I am pretty sure that the union will distance themselves from the "unofficial" strikes.

I know they do here when we have a walk out dispute.

Heres my take on it as i work for the royal mail in a management position so i'm not allowed to strike LOL

As a group of companies royal mail had the monopoly on everything from letters to parcels but they sold thereselves short and were carrying parcels for a few quid when it costs £4+ to carry a parcel so the parcel side had to change as they were losing 250 million a year :blink:

So they went through a massive change by building a top of the line hub in coventry and investing in new equipment and yes that also meant job losses etc but 4 years down the line and were doing well and made 17 million profitt last year.

Now the letters and small package side no longer have this monopoly there being hit hard and they need to change ASAP or they will become a dinosaur!! they need new equipment, new working practices etc which does mean job losses but to keep the big beast moving then casulties will happen but at the end of the day Royal Mail needs to keep trading and if the above happens it will be in line with the TNT's and DHL's which are now doing letters etc

As usual the unions are using it as an excuse to get more money which as there losing billions its just not sensible to give anymore because there isnt any to give?? why do they not understand this??

The other side to it is the pension which i agree is a bit shitty as they planning on not paying in £1.5 billion as they simply cant afford to which like many many other pension schemes is down to too many people living longer and the original schemes were too good!! the RM one is 6% staff and 20% RM!! so what they are saying is if people want a pension like that then you may have to work till 65 and people entering the scheme will not get the old rate of 20% because its just not viable!!

Now it effects me as i have a bloody good pension with them but thats no good to me if the whole pension fund melts down goes t1ts up so i would rather them commit to doing something about it now rather than doing nothing!!

These staff need to get behind he company they work for and try supporting it for a change :tongue:

Mike

I hear that next weeks wildcat strikes have been judged as illegal by the courts.

I presume this gives Royal Mail the right to sack anyone pulling any more strikes like today? (Well it's one way to trim the workforce down ;) )

They bloody should sack them... very much doubt they will though.

I'm a customer who is now looking for other ways to send his mail rather than being held to ransom by the workers of the Royal Mail. There are many ways of making a point but pissing off your clients has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of :rolleyes:

Well put! This is exactly what will(and has in the past) happen and eventually the RM will be extinct like the Dodo as people find alternatives. Reading those demands - can they be for real? In an age of technological advances, to demand such terms is ludicrous and in a way plain greedy and stupid, just my opinion! :innocent:

Btw - here in China the 'postie' doesn't even deliver the mail and it has to be collected in person! I usually use couriers which costs a little more but they go 'door-to-door' and nothing gets lost or stolen either!(unlike the normal China Post)

• 2 weeks later...