The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Web site design questions

Elliot

Has anyone with no previous knowledge of making websites set up their own websites, and got them running successfully etc?

I'd like to start on a site soon, and just wanted advice on what the best packages are, and any costs involved that I will need to think about.

I'm a complete beginner, so any help would be appreciated.

Do's & don'ts also appreciated!

There's a bit more to it than I can post here I'm afraid.

I run an ISP, host websites, design, program and make ecommerce sites etc.

The questions to ask first are:

1) What do you want to achieve from your website? (marketing/brochure , sell things, hobby, info resource etc)

2) How much are you willing to spend?

3) Do you want it to be interactive?

4) Do you have a domain name or any web hosting currently?

5) If you need hosting, what are your requirements? Programming / Databases / bandwidth on busy sites, backups, mirroring, etc.

By far the most popular package is Macromedia Dreamweaver. I use this a fair bit. Not entirely intuitive, but if you're willing to invest some time and read the tutorials you'll get there in the end. There's some really good plugins for it too which can add interactivity with minimum programming knowledge.

If you're REALLY technically challenged there are simpler/cheaper packages such as WebPlus 9.

We set up an ISP specifically for WebPlus 9 users with Serif, they get slightly cheaper rates. It's called http://www.speedy.uk.net

It's a stable cheap hosting package with no bandwidth charges or nasty surprises. We do monitor the bandwidth usage and would knock any really heavy users on the head because it's just not fair for the others.

What he said.

Authoring wise, if you've got a recent MS Office with Frontpage then it offers some pretty decent templates, ranging for one page websites to database driven. Could be worth having a look. It's a bit "do it all for you", but if you're intersted you can view the code and make changes.

As above, Dreamweaver is great. It what I use, but you'll need to devote some time to working it all out.

Dreamweaver is the best software to use but is quite complicated.

I made my website from scratch (1st website i'd done) with FREEWAY (mac only).

Very easy to do with impressive results.

No knowledge of HTML needed.

see here: http://www.Suprastar.org

also, did the whole thing for FREE including web promotion, ISP and design, but I did pay for the URL name ;)

Good Luck!