The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Now it's Brake pads, what y'got

Guest Mycroft

Guest Mycroft

Cheers, Portefield you say.

Any of you seen this?

Porsche Twin Turbo GT1 brakes (the best on ANY road car in the world produce 2060 Braking Horsepower.

The Jap-spec Supra TT produce 1010 Braking Horsepower.

The UK spec Supra TT 4 pots produce 1665 Braking Horsepower.

Standard Porsche 996 C2/C4 1590 Braking Horsepower

It would explain the startling braking distance/time reduction of cars when fitted with the UK Spec brakes.

(Edited by Mycroft at 8:43 pm on Mar. 22, 2002)

Quote: from GavinL on 8:36 pm on Mar. 22, 2002[br]Hi

What :Porterfield race pads, front and rear

Why: Suitable for trackdays and improved braking.

Where: Paul Whiffen on this BBS.

regards....

There are also Porterfield true fast road pads which I think are the R4-E and not the R4-S.

My UK spec car has apparently got Porterfields on it as well, but I have yet to really try them out to see how good they are.

Chris Wilson also does a range of race and fast road pads, somebody did say they are portfields as well but I found CWs race pads gave more initial bite than the Porterfield race pads.

And at about £250 for a full set of either, its not the sort of thing I ever got a chance to test back to back.

JB

I have used porterfield pads, on Supras and 928's. they work well but are incredibly hard on discs, especially their race compound, R4 I think they designate them. The ones I sell are German, and I find they have better cold bite than Porterfields, and seem to give much better disc wear. Unfortunately, like Porterfields race compound "my" race compound is also a bit noisy. If you want very quiet pads, that work from cold, and to beyond "my" race compound and porterfields, you could try Performance Friction brand. i use these on my own cars, but sell very few. they are a lot dearer, but are also a lot better. I am very faddy about pad material and am happy to spend what some consider obscene amounts of money on pads and fluid. I also usually outbrake similar cars on track days For road usage with the ocassional on track foray both "my" pads and Porterfields seem good. Needless to say mine are better... ;-)

I'd like to try Endless pads in Supras and Skylines, the Ozzies love them, and they are considered the ultimate for underbraked road cars used on track. I don't know of a UK supplier though and info over here is sketchy. They use them a lot for Enduarance racing, they last "endlessly", which I guess is how the name was coined..

Guest Mycroft

Hmmm, Endless have been praised up big time by the Ozzies on the LSOC, this leads me to think that I might get a set to test, I have very good contacts in Japan, so I should have no trouble.

I'll send Yoshiro an email tomorrow, and get a set sent over.

I'll try them out for 3/4000miles (guessing) and then go back to the Toyota standards, if you want to try them at that time I'm sure 50miles will re-bed them if I mark them correctly for re-installtion.

(Left Inboard, Left Outboard, right etc)

Would you be interested?

You do have vastly more experience of the differing types on the Supra.

Quote: from Mycroft on 12:33 am on Mar. 23, 2002[br]Hmmm, Endless have been praised up big time by the Ozzies on the LSOC, this leads me to think that I might get a set to test, I have very good contacts in Japan, so I should have no trouble.

I'll send Yoshiro an email tomorrow, and get a set sent over.

I'll try them out for 3/4000miles (guessing) and then go back to the Toyota standards, if you want to try them at that time I'm sure 50miles will re-bed them if I mark them correctly for re-installtion.

(Left Inboard, Left Outboard, right etc)

Would you be interested?

You do have vastly more experience of the differing types on the Supra.

Sure, I'll give them a go, but bear in mind they do a BIG range of compounds, the Oz I know uses their endurance pads in a Skyline on bigger than stock brakes, it may not be a suitable road compound, i just don't know quite what compounds they currently make, especially for the MKIV, if any in fact. I have to get my german pads made in batches, they don't actually list the MKIV, they water cut them from a bigger pad, which is wasteful, but cheaper than true custom backings in the quatntities i can handle.

Thanks for the offer, keep me posted!

Guest Mycroft

I'll ask Yosh to find a Supra pad for fast road/ part race, sort in the 'higher middle' if you know what I mean.

They do make them for Japspec Soarers which has the same calipers as the Japspec Supra so they must do the Optional (in Japan) Supra 4pots...........well I hope so anyway.

Email sent, now we just wait for a bit!

(Edited by Mycroft at 12:51 am on Mar. 23, 2002)

I've gone from srock (I think) pads to EBC GreenStuff on my Jap brakes.  On normal driving I'd say they are worse - lots of pedal pressure and not much stopping power and absolutly no bite.  They are OK, but not good.

Stamp on them a couple of times and they transform, very  light pressure and fantastic bite.  That lasts for a little while then back to normal.  Not great for a daily commuter car.

Guest Mycroft

Yosh has returned my email, they do make pads for the Supra and he says he has been running their NA-S for almost a year, and still hasn't destroyed them or the discs.

He says that if you accord the standard Supra pads for the 4pots as '1' and the DS2500 that he had been using as '1.5' the NA-S is a '2', he says he can scrape the nose of his modded Supe on the road at full stop!

The standard stuff hardly wears the disc, the DS2500 scrape the discs out in a year, the endless are more aggressive than the standard, his discs are 1mm thinner in just about a year, so I think they are OK, he states that cooling air is ESSENTIAL for endless pads as they generate more heat than any other pads he has ever encountered outside of Formula/GT racing, he assures me that almost all the Skylines he sees have Endless pads and they are making there way into every performance car in Japan!

He actually complimented me on a good choice of Manufacturer!!!

So I've ordered some, should be here end of the week after next!

With posting £150.

Reason for edit;

He enclosed a funny advert which shows an old guy driving a Skyline on ordinary brakes, goes to a 'brake shop, fits the Endless NA-s and drives out, the next shot is taken from the outside looking in the windscreen, his false teeth are 'punctured' into the steering wheel and he's sitting back with a 'gummy' smile saying 'need an Endless dentist'

(Edited by Mycroft at 2:18 pm on Mar. 23, 2002)

Guest Mycroft

Hey, they're BLUE, just like my brake fluid....sheeesh..colour co-ordinated brakes and braking....does life get any richer than this!

How about some carbon brake disks and appropriate pads? Oops sorry about the use of the "C" word on the images

http://members.tripod.com/derestricted/itr/mods/Carbonbrake1.gif

http://members.tripod.com/derestricted/itr/mods/Carbonpads1.gif

http://members.tripod.com/derestricted/itr/mods/Carbonbrake1.gifhttp://members.tripod.com/derestricted/itr/mods/Carbonpads1.gif

(Edited by HardHead42 at 11:23 pm on Mar. 23, 2002)

Guest Martin F

I'm also impressed with Pagid pads in our MKIII. Chris this wouldn't be where your German pads come from by any chance would it ?

Currently running TRD HPZ's in the MKIV and they are pretty amazing. Unfortunately they are no longer available. :(

Quote: from Martin F on 8:51 am on Mar. 24, 2002[br]

I'm also impressed with Pagid pads in our MKIII. Chris this wouldn't be where your German pads come from by any chance would it ?

Currently running TRD HPZ's in the MKIV and they are pretty amazing. Unfortunately they are no longer available. :(

No, I have never had any success with pagid pads, under serious duress i have had several of their compounds break up, cost me an important race once!

Hi,

I recently 'upgraded' to Porterfield race front, fast road (R4-S) rear from the standard Jap spec setup. In anticipation of some trackday action soon (tired of spongy brake feel after 2 laps). Purchased from TorqueIC (CCs accepted :-).

The Car feels much more secure under moderate braking in on-road scenarios and no 'heating of the brakes' is required from cold. However, this is of course far removed from typical trackday usage, so judgement is as at yet optimistcally reserved.

Rgds,

I had Porterfield Pads (R4-S) on my J-spec setup, and they wre excellent for the road and also very good for the first trackday I did at Bentwaters (not as punishing as the later trackdays there I gather). I also run them on my Integra Type R and they are amazing, same compound on 285mm disks (standard) and only 2/3 of the weight of the Supra (if that). I'm going to get them fitted to the misses car also (Paul Whiffin and myself jhave sorted out some that will fit (same as the FTO GR Paul)), as soon as the current ones get low.