The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Underseal

SkyJawa

Tricky. It might be that what ever you use to get the underseal off might also remove the finish of the wheels.

I would have though that celulose thinners and a bit of effort would get underseal off but whether it's safe to use on those lovely wheels ........... who knows?

Originally posted by Fiftyplus1

:D

try a chisel lol

I would advise soapy water only using thinners - dangerous.

Fat chance :( Unfortunately, soap won't do it, its almost like spots of tar, if you try and remove it with you finger it smudges due to the nature of what underseal is like.

Against better judgement I tried Wonder Wheels and that got nowhere either :(

Tried to call the bloke, busy. Emailed, chased the email, got a reply saying he knows of something he'll get back to me, that was a week ago, chased again yesterday and still nothing....... (but is a bit slow on email unless he has your car).

grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

He said wheels were off the car when it was done and must have caught overspray. Not far enough away IMHO, as they've sprayed the outside of the wheels, and the centre caps are covered inside and out :eek: :mad: :twak: grrrrrrrr.

Originally posted by Jake

Tricky. It might be that what ever you use to get the underseal off might also remove the finish of the wheels.

I would have though that celulose thinners and a bit of effort would get underseal off but whether it's safe to use on those lovely wheels ........... who knows?

My thoughts too Jake, hence I don't want to chuck stuff willy nilly onto them :( I guess if the wheels get ruined they can pay for the refurb.

My mum had this on her proton though a few years back and the garage managed to shift it all, without damaging the wheel so it must be possible. They were normal alloys though, not anthracite.....

Originally posted by Fiftyplus1

:D

Turtle Wax Tar remover??

just a thought

Oh hang on - I have some autoglym tar remover, its a liquid but safe on paint, i'll give that a go - good thinking mate as it works wonders on tar :)

Just a shame I have to spend ages of my time now clearing up their mess :mad:

Originally posted by SkyJawa

[Ace Ventura]

Reeeeee, heeeeeeee, heeeeeeeeeelllllllleeeeeeeey :D

[/Ace]

Yeah, and I'd go so far as to say - don't try to sort it out yourself. If you cause any damage to the wheels that won't get paid for by any court decision and they can use it against you in general. You need lots of photos of the wheels, all the bad spots and all the good spots as well, and photos of the underseal so you can prove that's the stuff on the wheels. Any receipts, emails, credit card payment slips/records etc to prove they did it may unfortunately be required in the long run. Then write, ye olde letter style, recorded delivery, to the idiot that did the work and tell him you want the wheels cleaning to your satisfaction, or replacing, or compensation to the value of the wheels and if it's not sorted in 10 working days you'll take him to county court. You do this in a letter (and keep a copy) so that you get everything across to him in one go without him changing the subject, talking over you, waffling, or generally avoiding the subject and it's non-confrontational.

Shock and Awe mate, it works. Grunts like this expect you to come round or phone and be a bit 'put out' and he can bullshit you with "it'll come off with elbow grease" or "it wasn't me guvnor" and have a laugh and a smile with you and you'll go away and not come back. Tell me if you've never expienced this :) Drop this world of shit on them, all of which is completely within your rights to do so, and hopefully they will cave and fix it or pay you pretty quickly.

-Ian