The mkiv Supra Owners Club

looks like tesco 99 is king of fuel

supra matt

I was reading that they were taken to court in Greece (and lost) because they were doing the same thing - implying it to be SUL but not stating anything at the pumps.

Other fuel suppliers pushed the issue, because they were subjects of random tests (to prove their warez were indeed SUL) while Shell wasn't - but still ripping the commercial benefits of selling SUL. It's hot over there and fuel fizzles out fast.

I find this as a bit strange behaviour from such a large company.

On private emails they may claim 98RON but not at the pumps.:blink:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading that they were taken to court in Greece (and lost) because they were doing the same thing - implying it to be SUL but not stating anything at the pumps.

Other fuel suppliers pushed the issue, because they were subjects of random tests (to prove their warez were indeed SUL) while Shell wasn't - but still ripping the commercial benefits of selling SUL. It's hot over there and fuel fizzles out fast.

I find this as a bit strange behaviour from such a large company.

On private emails they may claim 98RON but not at the pumps.:blink:

That was certainly the case in the early days but I know I'd seen 98RON on the pumps for Optimax... can't say I've looked since it's been V Power.

They state 98 minimum as they cant always guarantee 99, but thats their target figure.......this has been done so many time before....... ;)

Becasue they cant guarantee it will be 99..........but thats there aim.......but no one seems to be listening. I dont care what they state the RON is on their link, or what little booklets they produce saying its 99, they dont advertise this on the pumps for one reason only. If you drive off and its a batch that hasnt quite hit the mark and its only rated at 98 then their in trouble if your engine goes bang........search for previous threads, this has been killed so many times Im feeling like a parrot, or dont believe me......

Fuel looses its RON rating over time, this isnt supposed to happen for a while but after reading this article I reckon it happens a lot quicker then people think, and with Shell never advertising it, I think they know this too........

Becasue they cant guarantee it will be 99..........but thats there aim.......but no one seems to be listening. I dont care what they state the RON is on their link, or what little booklets they produce saying its 99, they dont advertise this on the pumps for one reason only. If you drive off and its a batch that hasnt quite hit the mark and its only rated at 98 then their in trouble if your engine goes bang........search for previous threads, this has been killed so many times Im feeling like a parrot, or dont believe me......

Fuel looses its RON rating over time, this isnt supposed to happen for a while but after reading this article I reckon it happens a lot quicker then people think, and with Shell never advertising it, I think they know this too........

This is true that test said the the shell v power lost its punch in a week of not been used :blink:, tesco was the best all rounder and was the most consistent.

This is true that test said the the shell v power lost its punch in a week of not been used :blink:, tesco was the best all rounder and was the most consistent.

Well yeah, sort of backs it up a little more dont it......:search:

EDIT: So shell produce a batch of Vpower, it then probably spends a couple of days being stored at the plant, then transported to where ever, another day or two, then into the filling stations tank, and then can probably sit there a week or so before being used to the bottom, bit worrying that it could degrade that quickly though really aint seeing as your paying for a premium fuel.........you would think Shell would get that a little bit better....

Its a bit like Coke-a-cola producing coke but leaving the lids off, by the time you pick the bottle up from Asda and get it home, its flat.....;)

Its a bit like Coke producing coke but leaving the lids off, by the time you pick the bottle up from Asda and get it home, its flat..... LOL

They seam to no what there doing to + using a m3 CSL as a test car ,

cant wait to see there test on the racing fuel to that's going to be a good read ,

This is the conclusion just to refresh it so people don't have refer to the link all the time ,

In simple terms, Shells V Power is near identical to the Optimax product that it replaced, in power and ‘feel’ terms it continued to out perform all 95 octane fuels and we’d still recommend owners of all performance cars use the highest quality fuel they can find. However the performance offered by the fuel was sometimes inconsistent.

The Tesco 99 fuel again outperformed V Power in all the tests but the differences between the two fuels were marginal and we doubt most people would tell the difference in their cars on a day to day basis. However the Tesco fuel was the most consistent.

The BP 102 fuel showed the best gains in terms of ‘feel’ and performed better on the dyno and on initial fill up, when the fuel was fresh the power gains were noticeable even above the Tesco 99 fuel. However the gains seemed to dramatically diminish over time or with increases in engine bay temperature a feature which we are continuing to test.

The testing we have conducted deliberately concentrated purely on the performance gains offered by the premium fuels without reference to cost, cost is a financial measure not a performance one. However it would be puerile to simply ignore its reference in testing deigned for the general fuel buying public. In pure cost/performance terms its very hard to beat the Tesco product, on average the Tesco 99 fuel was 5-6% cheaper than the V Power (up to 10% cheaper when compared to some motorway fuel stations). The BP fuel at almost £2.50 a litre was obviously the most expensive and even with our £50,000 per year fuel bill it would be impossible to justify using the fuel with any degree of regularity - £147 to fill the tank of the CSL was even worthy of a picture of the pump price guage.

Bottom line? Use the Tesco 99 fuel where you can find it, it offers the best, most consistent performance of the fuels available and it’s cheaper than V Power. If you can’t find a Tescos that sells it then go for Shell’s V Power. If you’re feeling really flush, have a point to prove on a rolling road day (days where car enthusiasts compare their cars power on a dyno) or want to extract the maximum potential out of the car on a track day then the BP 102 fuel is worth a go, just bear in mind that £150 a tank would pay for a good proportion of tyres or some decent driver training.

Thorney Motorsport is continuing the fuel testing (we’ve made a rod for our own backs now it seems) so next up on the agenda is a performance test of all the race fuels currently available to see how they compare to the BP 012 fuel which we will undertake on our fleet of Vauxhall VX220 race cars and on our new Corsa VXR road car. We hope to have this next instalment (starting to feel like a soap opera now) at the end of the year. In the meantime we will continue to test the pump fuels and will continue to publish all of our findings.

John Thorne

Interesting reading.Don't know if this applies to Tesco 99.When i was on the Vauxhall site,Migweb,a member who was a chemical tech and whose job it was to test daily the fuel in the various storage tanks at the depot he worked in; concluded that the only fuels he would recommend are:Shell and BP.Supermarket petrol he said contained too many contaminents,was older fuel,and therefore its RON rating was degrading.He didn't give his name,but he was known by other members and deemed to be reliable.I've never tried Tesco 99;there is only one garage in my town that sells super and thats Shell.Next one is 16 miles away-BP.Those results are impressive though.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Bringing back a dinosaur thread here - just wanted to know what the effect of ethanol is on Supra engines? I'm filling up with 95 octane fuel that's 10% ethanol (I think 95 translates to eithr 99 or 100 RON).

E10 is a very good fuel, min ron rating is 99. its been a life saver from it was introduced into the south of Ireland along with e85 as the best available before this was 95ron. Hopefully its availability will come more widespread.

Morrisons E85 is being used widely in the Subaru scene, with great results and excellent power figures. Similar to people running meth mixes with the fuel.

US figures for 95 Octane is prob around 99, so with the meth mix your running a good mix. E85 is typically rated at around 110 Ron, however more importantly it's MON rating is higher than a "mixed" 110ron fuel, so will yield better results.

BTW, with regards to Thorney's findings back then, it wasn't just coincidence that Tesco's were the primary sponsor's of their race car... ;)

Tesco's is primarily a 95ron fuel and mixed up to 99 using octane boosters, wheras the V-Power is actually a pure 98/9 ron fuel. Which is why you will probably get better MON ratings with the V-Power, better actual performance.

Best way to see how your car performs or see which fuel is best is check the MBT on each fuel. :)