The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Auto

RobSheffield

I'm a bit of a closet auto fan too, all the ones I've driven have been superb drives. On the bigger open roads they're faster and easier drive as a point to point car. Also as a daily comuter they're far easier to drive in traffic and quicker off the mark.

The manual is only really useful for smaller B and small road twisties where you get a great deal of pleasure from the closer gear ratios.

If I had an auto as a daily driver I wouldn't consider going the single route, the TT setup works so well with them I don't see it's worth the expense/hassle.

I wonder if my opinion would be further skewed if i knew all the various bits and could boot it (as in if it was my own car)

Despite it being dry, warm and sunny i was concerned over the kickdown!

Now a tiptronic might really change my mind!

Sticking the tip into 2nd before hitting roundabouts has got to be one of my favourite things of all time. :D

My only criticism of the autobox is that it has 4 widely spaced gears, the jump from 2nd to 3rd is too big, the jump from 3rd to OD is massive, yet imo OD is itself a little too short to cruise at 100mph without sinking juice. Basically I'd like a 6spd auto.

Does anyone know if that 7 speeder from the LS460 fits?

With enough money I'm sure you could make it fit!

When at motorway cruise I keep checking if I'm in 6th (it always feels like I'm in 5th), it could really do with a low ratio cruise gear like the vette's have. It'd make the smaller single turbo's so much more economic too!

JIC is where I got mine too, I was impressed by them, sadly I assume they went bust later. My expereinece was the same as yours both there and a week earlier where we tested a couple of manuals in Wiltshire somewhere.

I got mine in Sept 04 when did you get yours?

Got mine in May '04 but not from JIC, they were kind enough to let me try different models they offered me hardly anything on my car i wanted to trade in and recommended i sold it private.

Then i found a Supra TT at a car dealer in Basingstoke or around there somewhere, turned out they were willing to do me a decent price on my trade in all though they had my pants down in that i had to give them full asking price on the Supra.

My first MkIV was an aerotop so I bought an auto by default. (It was the only auto I'd ever had except an old Daimler Soveriegn whch I hated) I had reservations untill I test drove it.

2003, JIC started looking for my ideal Supra in Japan and found one spot on except that it was Tiptonic. I was under the impression they were rare then, and accepted it, despite JBs write up:). Once it was over here and I'd driven it I loved it. Not once in the four years I've had it did I regret not having a 6 speed

I love rolling up to stage at a drag strip and hearing cries of "oh it's an auto :rolleyes: " like they've already written me off. Then I rip the scooby next to me a new ass hole and strangely everyone's quiet next time round :eyebrows:

Cheers,

Brian.