The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hidden Speed Traps

terribleturner

Just read yesterdays (Friday 5th Nov) Metro newspaper and found an article i think everyone on here will be interested in.

Police do have the right to set hidden speed traps, motorists were warned yesterday.

They can legally set ups speed cameras which are not visable to drivers and use speed guns from hidden postions by the side of the road.

There has been much debate over whether officers have the power to carry out 'covert speed enforcement'.

But the law was clarified in a handbook published by the government.

It stated: "The police have statutory discretion to undertake covert speed enforcement to deal with exceptional circumstances. This does not form part of the safty camera programme."

There are about 5,000 visible speed camera sites in Britain, which generated £68million last yaer.

But police belive hidden traps are needed to catch speeding drivers who slow down when they pass cameras.

AIRSO, a charity working for safer roads, welcomed the clarification.

It said: "If covert speed enforcment is done selectively then that is fine and appropriate." But the AA Trust said an acceptable level of 'transparency' had been reached with visible cameras and that covert traps could muddy the situation.

"We do not really want to see randomness coming back," it added.

Shadow Transport Secretary Tim Yeo clamied ministers were more interested in raising revenue than in road safty.

He said: "People have lost faith in the way speed limits are enforced. They belive there is a war on drivers and that cameras are being used as cash raisers not life savers.

Guess it was only really time before they decided to do it.

It was only a matter of time- not surprised the anti speed trap gizmo market is booming. It really provides our only protection against the fines and a loss of license. However, I read somewhere that they want to ban these gizmos too. The bastards

Mike

Originally posted by annan

However, I read somewhere that they want to ban these gizmos too. The bastards

Mike

Yeah i read that too. I reckon that instead of points they should just issue fines. That way people wouldn't mind as much and the police/councils get more money, specially form repeat offenders. Maybe introduce a points for people who get 3 or more fines within a certian period of like 6 months. I know that i would rather shell out for a fine rather thn collect more points on my license.

Originally posted by terribleturner

There are about 5,000 visible speed camera sites in Britain, which generated £68million last yaer.

What a crock of shit.

£68m / 5,000 is £13,600.

Divide by £60 = 226 per year.

That's absolute rubbish. Some of the Spec's systems were rolling in a £.5m a day...

Gaz.

• 1 month later...

I was started long ago ... Had enough of these money grabbing bastards. If you work and earn money then they take more money from you. Hardley surprising they want more people in work...... so they an take more off you for their pensiom plans and communist perks.................... :respekt:

Actually afaik they have been able to do that for years, just haven't fearing a backlash

Yep. This is just clarifying the situation as it has always been. It's nothing new I'm afraid.

Speed limits apply all the time, not just when a Police officer is about to nab you.

We all know the limits and if we decide to go beyond it, we realise as (ir)responsible adults (!) what punishment we stand to receive if caught. I speed on a fairly regular basis in 60 and 70 mph limits, and if I get caught for it I don't really think I have anything to moan about.

Not nice if I do get caught, but I can't really argue if and when it happens.

Yep. This is just clarifying the situation as it has always been. It's nothing new I'm afraid.

Speed limits apply all the time, not just when a Police officer is about to nab you.

We all know the limits and if we decide to go beyond it, we realise as (ir)responsible adults (!) what punishment we stand to receive if caught. I speed on a fairly regular basis in 60 and 70 mph limits, and if I get caught for it I don't really think I have anything to moan about.

Not nice if I do get caught, but I can't really argue if and when it happens.

Spot on there Dogg :D

I was started long ago ... Had enough of these money grabbing bastards. If you work and earn money then they take more money from you. Hardley surprising they want more people in work...... so they an take more off you for their pensiom plans and communist perks.................... :respekt:

Tottaly agree Ben. My Gran dies a few weeks ago and my family have found out that the government are gonna take 40% of the inheritance. So not only do they tax you when your alive on everything, but they take you when you die. WTF???

And Soop, you put it perfect. We all speed from time to time and you realise when your doing it and so if you get busted then that's that. You chose to do those speeds so accept any and all results. The answer is just don't get caught :tongue:

I think the government should turn their attentions towards the standard of driving now. They've put all these speed cameras up and it's not stopping accidents enough. Try a new approach.

Its a sad fact that you need to think about things before you cark it to ensure that in the vent of you or a relative dying the full value of the estate is passed to the family/benficiary and not the government

There are lots of ways to ensure this happens though so with planning you can get out of the tax, although obvioualy with a sudden death its not always in place in time

greedy gits

Its a sad fact that you need to think about things before you cark it to ensure that in the vent of you or a relative dying the full value of the estate is passed to the family/benficiary and not the government

There are lots of ways to ensure this happens though so with planning you can get out of the tax, although obvioualy with a sudden death its not always in place in time

greedy gits

Did you know that everything has to be signed over 7 years previosly? I'm trying to convince my parents to sign the house over to me now, and i'll give them a sort of pocket money each month. :p