The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Biggest HP Supras on this board...

suprafan72

Would this require me to take the engine out and take it to them for mapping?

Yes, it would. Swindon don't have 2JZ mounts made up, but they would, of course, make some. There's at least one UK engine dyno operator with the mounts for a 2JZ engine though, I think Terry had his engine on a proper dyno once.

The good things about engine dynos are there ability to repeat to within 1BHP, and their ability to control temps. Engine access is superb, making cam timing changes, finding leaks, blah blah, trivial. The expense is getting engine mounts made up mfor the fisrt engine, and possibly making a flywheel adapter place. Once that's done any similar engine will just bolt straight on. It's all but impossible to control temps at full power on a rolling road, everything gets mad hot and to be honest, other than hub dynos, anything over about 300 BHP is a nightmare on a normal rolling road. You can hold an engine on a proper dyno at full power for hours and control temps, if you so wish. They will hold a fixed load FAR better than a rolling road, too.

It's not all about power output. There's far too much focus on this and not enough on the car as a whole package.

True... but most people arnt really serious about the all round package are they?... so its more about pub bragging rights or comparison to other owners.

There are very few people who are dead serious about drag racing let alone taking it on a track.

True... but most people arnt really serious about the all round package are they?... so its more about pub bragging rights or comparison to other owners.

There are very few people who are dead serious about drag racing let alone taking it on a track.

I think to be honest i've achieved my goal as having a reasonably fast road car, i don't intent to drag race it or go on the track, Just want a good allrounder.... In road form i don't believe Supra's are designed for the track or drag racing really unless you just about modify everything on it... Even with my set-up which is pretty near to being a track car but with full weight im still not sure it's ideal for anything like the track.

I think to be honest i've achieved my goal as having a reasonably fast road car, i don't intent to drag race it or go on the track, Just want a good allrounder.... In road form i don't believe Supra's are designed for the track or drag racing really unless you just about modify everything on it... Even with my set-up which is pretty near to being a track car but with full weight im still not sure it's ideal for anything like the track.

I think you'd be surprised how competent they can be on a track. They are a very well sorted chassis, and will hold their own with most road based cars of similar weight. It's all about what you want. If you want to be able to lap a pro driver in a Gallardo round Oulton in under 3 laps you can, for under 20K, but you can't go to the pub in it ;)

I think you'd be surprised how competent they can be on a track. They are a very well sorted chassis, and will hold their own with most road based cars of similar weight. It's all about what you want. If you want to be able to lap a pro driver in a Gallardo round Oulton in under 3 laps you can, for under 20K, but you can't go to the pub in it ;)

Very true..... I guess im just underconfident of the car's capability even with my set-up.. ive never really pushed it to any soft of degree on a track... Im pretty happy with its road set-up at the moment...