The mkiv Supra Owners Club

manual vs auto

Guest projectprelude

Originally posted by 250horses

Enter hair pin corner in say 4th, approach apex of bend, brake, put into neutral, rev, put into second and there is a smooooth change down to 2nd with the max power band available.

If you pratice this can be done really fast.

Very difficult to do whilst heel-toeing though...

Whilst accelerating I tend to "powershift" anyway, hence "reducing" any advantage the auto box would give.

Look now bugger off you, you're drawing me into this and I don't wanna.... :p

The manual box is supposed to be 1 second quicker vs auto in the 0-60 sprint including this third gear change!! So if the manual gear box went to 60 mph in 2nd, its 0-60 would be a gear change faster probably another full second - if you get what I mean.

So in a 0-58 sprint a manual box could therefore be 2 secs quicker than an auto.

Sorry, Charlie, but where did you get these numbers from???

4.9 secs manual

5.1 Auto

These are the figures I have seen for years now for 0-100km/h.

I make that 2/10sec, not a second.

Just had to point that out. Oooh, and the fact that my stock (Other than de-cat) auto used to run 12.8 quarters.

Try racing Angie sometime to see how the Auto goes!

We've ALL lost to her at some time or another!

;)

For me the auto / manual thing isn't about outright speed, its about driver involvement. Its hard to define, but its just nicer to be driving a manual IMO.

The Auto is great and far better than i thought it would be, very quick shifts, wheelspin free getaways, very very smooth and also unlike other auto's i've driven it holds a gear (without changing up) far better on part throttle openings. Its very easy to live with but i also think the manual is too.

Anyway in an auto:

On a hair pin corner, you cant really kick down and maintain full control and power at the apex of the bend and you cant really change down without the risk of sliding.

Double de clutching:

Enter hair pin corner in say 4th, approach apex of bend, brake, put into neutral, rev, put into second and there is a smooooth change down to 2nd with the max power band available.

You are forgetting about the MANU button.

Stick in MANU ... approach corner in 3rd, brake left footed,keeping an ever so slight load on the gas, into 2nd smooth as a smooth thing ..............

Its the MANU mode that makes the autobox IMO

Anyway in an auto:

On a hair pin corner, you cant really kick down and maintain full control and power at the apex of the bend and you cant really change down without the risk of sliding.

Double de clutching:

That isn't double declutching, that is just matching the revs so it's smooth when you bring the clutch up. You wouldn't be in the power in a manual though, as changing from 4th to 2nd implies a big drop in speed so you'd have no boost left anyway and have to change quickly up a gear very quickly.

Besides, if you are driving hard in an auto you'd probably be in manu mode anyway which gets you halfway there.

My opinin is that a manual suits a small nippy car, the Supra is much more suited to an auto.

Drag = auto

Daily = auto

Weekend toy = Manual

Simple one that. I would hate a manual car for daily driving, a auto car just makes it much more pleasant. But in the corners, and for sheer driving pleasure (any Supra owners left that still appreciate this?) a manual is the way, faster or not.

Originally posted by Syed Shah

But in the corners, and for sheer driving pleasure (any Supra owners left that still appreciate this?) a manual is the way, faster or not.

Yup.. and on a track.

But at the end of the day, people are going to defend their purchase, both boxes are GREAT. So you cant really lose whatever you get.

As usual, best advice is, test drive them both and come to your own conclusions from what you want from the car.

Originally posted by matt

You are forgetting about the MANU button.

Stick in MANU ... approach corner in 3rd, brake left footed,keeping an ever so slight load on the gas, into 2nd smooth as a smooth thing ..............

Yes I did forget about that, but before I get lynched by you auto guys, I NEVER SAID AN AUTO BOX WAS BAD :) In fact I even said they were good. Now pick on some other threads on this posting who were rude about the auto............:D

Brian, figures were claimed figures from JIC when they were trading so i dont know

Originally posted by Steve Cargill

You wouldn't be in the power in a manual though, as changing from 4th to 2nd implies a big drop in speed so you'd have no boost left anyway and have to change quickly up a gear very quickly.

Not quite sure of the logic there. Or what double declutching has to do with it either tbh! The sequence is approach corner, brake, change down to correct gear with blip of throttle to match revs and avoid unsettling the rear (i.e. heel and toe), turn in, feather throttle to maintain weight balance of car and desired line, feed in throttle and exit corner. Possibly with braking, and turn in overlapped slightly (trail braking) to reduce understeer if necessary. There's no doubt that can be done far better in a manual which will mean better cornering speed and exit out of corners. But you can also screw it up in a manual by getting the wrong gear or not being smooth enough and unsettling the rear.

Also, all manuals have the LSD, whereas most autos don't. That makes a big difference to the way the car drives.

But hey, nobody drives on a track all the time anyway! Personally I think it's a far more involving drive in a manual, I bought a Supra because I love driving and it's an event every time I go anywhere. I drive it every day to work and I'd hate an auto, if I wanted to sit there doing nothing I would have bought a different car. But it's a personal opinion thing.