The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra, GTO or 300ZX?

Guest SupraJohnny

After owning 2 of the 3 and having a mate who ran a GTO, I can saafely say the 300zx and Supra are both excellent cars which are highly tuneable and present excellent value for money.

You are spoilt for choice on the Zed front however and your money will buy you a very clean low mileage manual TT for less than a Supra TT Auto (the same spec i.e manual will be considerably more IMHO).

There are also good tuners for both and good Owners Club Forums as well so it would be a 2 car race for me with budget, preference (get some test drives under your belt as they respond and display individual character traits only noticeable with hands on experience) and see how you get on.

The final thing I'd say is how many immaculate highly tuned Zeds do you see on the road these days as opposed to Supe's? Just a point to think about although my personal preference is still and will always be for the Supe.

Might be tempted by a SWB Manual TT or even a one-off SWB Manual TT Convertible would be a wicked project.

The Zed is a sexy looking car for it's age and the value for money is hard to ignore unless budget is not an issue.

Just my 2p worth, but the good thing is whether you choose the Zed or the Supe, you'll be guaranteed a rewarding, fun and enjoyable time getting performance you would pay a huge amount for if you were looking at similar european cars like a porker! ;) :D

Good luck either way and let us know which one sways you.

Cheers,

Pete :)

Guest SupraJohnny

Thanks for all the replies guys - some helpful :), some not :p

Looks as though my budget keeps me just irritatingly away from a TT :( which is a pity as it makes me look at the other two models. In particular as Peter P indicated a good club UK 300ZX TT manual is easily available for £3000 -£3500

Apart from it's drop dead looks I dunno if the N/A Supra is going to be quick enough to be interesting; I'm driving a Fiat Coupe Turbo at the moment (200 BHP and considerably lighter than the Supra) so it might not work out.

Thanks for all the replies guys - some helpful :), some not :p

Looks as though my budget keeps me just irritatingly away from a I'm driving a Fiat Coupe Turbo at the moment (200 BHP and considerably lighter than the Supra) so it might not work out.

Buy a 300zx then :D

Find a clean 300ZX TT Manual (SWB if possible and within your budget) and don't look back to be honest.

If you can't get a Supe TT (remember when I couldn't - who am I kidding haven't got one now!:() then of the 2 others the Zed makes better sense IMHO.

GTO was a very advanced car for the time but also has a very complex suspension setup that costs mega bucks if it goes wrong (mate had one and spent £7k odd fixing it about 2/3 years ago!) as that 4WD system has some nasty gremlins. Add in the weight of the 4WD system and you get a clear cut case for the Zed and it's more robust setup.

I had 2 autos and was very please with the looks, performance, reliability and comfort levels given the considerably lower price they command and with subtle body mods they can look stunning.

The other thing is they seem to have levelled out as far as values so you could sell up for minimal losses in a year or two after saving hard and get a nice Supe TT instead! :eyebrows:

PM me if you want any specific info/advice as am happy to help if I can mate.

Cheers.

Pete :D

i asked this question to a friend who knows a lot about imports, and he said that the spares for a GTO are extremely expensive.

i nearly bought a zx purely on the price, but after much consideration i decided that they look far more dated than the supra.

i asked this question to a friend who knows a lot about imports, and he said that the spares for a GTO are extremely expensive.

i nearly bought a zx purely on the price, but after much consideration i decided that they look far more dated than the supra.

Would disagree with the bodykit options available and the updated spec lights etc.

The Zed can still look superb IMHO and parts,mods are reasonable from memory, used a top bloke called Ryan over at a company called Z-TECH who was superb.

Pete :)

Guest Darkside TT

Hi to you all,

New to this club but felt i had to put my 2p's worth in.

I currently run a 300ZX TT, and love it, gives me a smile every time i put the foot down, i agree with some of the comments although IMO Supra's are far too comment, which is what made me choose the Z, however rairlity is not always good,i have found it difficult to get some parts, which i assume isnt a prob with the supra?!? There are about the same amount of Tuners and Styling parts for each of the cars, if you know where to look.

Also the Price of a Z at the moment is low compared to the Supra, so you get more bang for your buck so to speak.

I'm looking at geting a Supra soon but not because i dont like the Z just i'm greedy and though it might be nice.

IMO nothing Wrong with the Supra or the Z just down to personal opinion. Cant comment on the GTO never really had anything to do with them.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest diddy_p

hi guys, i've had a 300zx UK spec twin turbo for two years, only had 36k miles and now just b4 my accident 2 weeks ago 50k.

its an excellent car, and i never spared any expense and only updated the look of to that of a '99spec. it never let me down, but now that I've done the 'zed' thing for 2 years, i'm considering a supra, shame the uk spec one Ray was selling has gone! LOL

Like mentioned, all stupid car rivalry beef aside, they are amongst the best cars to have ever come out of japan, the zx paved the way for this class of car on the international stage in '89.

Either car will reward you big time. BUT remember not to skimp on maintenance on either and you will be fine.

I like the 300ZX but IMO it looks very dated these days whereas the Supra has 'timeless classic' curves.

Also to be considered is the fact that the VG30DETT engine in the Z TT does not seem to be as robust as the Supra's legendary 2JZ-GTE, with the VG30 being a V6 configuration it's also much more of a packed engine bay (have a look in one) with access to components being a major PITA and so engine out for stuff you can do with the nice straight 6 engine of the Supra in situ. As a result, maintenance costs of the 300ZX are considerably higher, especially because of the immense heat under the Z's bonnet causing niggly problems - hoses perishing over time etc.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that on the whole performance Nissan's are not as reliable as performance Toyota's - my S13 200SX was a case in point. These comments are from someone who has personally worked on / maintained several of each marque - I don't go to garages.

That said, when it's going right a SWB 300ZX TT is a very nice car with excellent performance.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Brian.