The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo blanket benefits

Ian W

whoa guys, i'm not looking to start a thread on whether an XS turbo is any good or not.

it's at the cheaper end of the market yes, and he's running low boost. it lasts as long as it lasts so i'm sure he'll deal with that if and when it happens to expire.

Thanks for your input re: turbo blankets, i'll advise him to look into getting one soon.

Ian

Don't get me/us wrong Ian, they're crap turbo's but will "work" on a 2JZ just fine provided you want a little extra power and are not going for too much more than BPU power.

As mentioned, I and many others have used the blankets Michel Lane has supplied and have been very happy with the fit. Make sure you wrap that downpipe too, as that emits a HUGE amount of heat. It's all about keeping heat out of the engine bay.

As mentioned, I and many other have used the blankets Michel Lane has supplied and have been very happy with the fit. Make sure you wrap that downpipe too, as that emits a HUGE amount of heat.

that's pretty much what i was looking for mate, cheers.

afaik the dp is already wrapped :)

Not sure what you mean Gaz. Explain?

Just wondered what the heat resistant material was- I've seen some funny drag bikes with blankets over the engine that have (very) small ceramic tiles sandwitched between foil sheets to stop the heat from the engine burning the rider.

PMSL!

Jake, what's this blanket made of- small ceramic tiles or something?

The turbo blankets are made of layers of heat resistant material (duh!), they also have a layer of fine wire mesh sewn into them. The construction is quite complex, as such I can understand why they are a bit pricey. Well worth the money though for the function they perform.