The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sell my Golf for a Supra?

Guest J_S

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, how you know what I have been driving about.......???? :blink: Who is this :D

GVN start work this Monday, but not bothered about time as long as everything gets done right and there is a few things for them to do......but about 2 weeks probably.......

EDIT: This is Mel aint it....... ;)

I'm not sure if I want a supra anymore, im not sure if i'm loopy enough to warrant one!!

Just dont date members using forum names. You'l be fine:)

Coming from a SIMILAR background, I own a SEAT Leon Cupra (same chassis as the golf, and mostly interchangeable parts too) and I've got mine tuned from 180 to around the 220bhp mark. Admittedly, IMO, any more than that through the front wheels would not be very useable, but I know of many 300+ bhp FWD cars that seem to handle it ok.

Personally - I'm going for the Supra TT - when I've moved house. But the one thing I'm worried about is because the Supra attracts more attention, it's more likely to get damaged/nicked/whatever. This is why it'll be garaged or at least parked VERY close to my house :)

You have 7k to spend on a supra, and you dont want a TT?

Nope - Im not interested in an auto and I know manuals are a bit more. Yeah 7k could get me a TT, but probably not a very well looked after / good condition / low mileage one. I'd prefer to get a nice NA, save the difference and save another 2k or so to get a nice manual TT for 9k ish (provided the NA gets me hooked on Supras!)

But the one thing I'm worried about is because the Supra attracts more attention, it's more likely to get damaged/nicked/whatever. This is why it'll be garaged or at least parked VERY close to my house :)

Car crime's really not a problem where I live, its a small market town, and I have a private drive with lockable gates. Id hate to have a Supra addiction and live somewhere like London!

Let me start by saying I think the Golf and all its off spring are great day to day little cars (Except the R32 which is the biggest waste of money the world has ever seen!!:blink:). They are however common as muck, that is especially true for GTIs and TDIs.

Lets face reality here, the Supra is getting a little old now and there are plenty of cars now on the market that, standard, will give the Supra a run for its money, but these are brand new cars against a 13-15 year old car!!

Speed is most definately not everything and I think the Supra is one of the best looking cars ever made. Look how the styling is catching on in the Aston Martins and XK jags (There is a kit that makes it look identical to a Supra!!). The supra was decades ahead of its time both in terms of cost, styling and performance (Except the interior which dated quickly).

Basically, IMO there is no contest between a Golf and a Supra either NA or TT. Go for the bloody Supra, you wont regret it. It brings a smile to my face ever time I drive it and it always gets noticed, unlike the boring golfs.

I know there are die hard golf fans around so I await the brimstone!!;)

Man I really don't believe a couple of the things I am reading here. First off your golf turbo is only pushing out 150 bhp??? WTF the diesels from about 7 years ago pushed that out.

You want a car that is a GT tourer suited more to the motorway than the town instead of a sportier hatch?? You are under the impression that a supra handles better than a golf gti?? You are having a laugh right? OK OK I am talking about a stock NA here but I am guessing you haven't altered the suspension on your golf either. I'll put it this way I aint shy when it comes to a bit of a sporty drive but a ford ka ck buggered me right up in town in my NA and I doubt I would have gotten near it in my current car either. Yeah I showed it a clean set of heels on an open road but almost lost my licensce doing it.

Lastly you think that if you have problems controlling a FWD car that isn't actually all that powerfull (the newer alfas and volvo's stick well over 300 out the front now) that you'll fare better in a RWD car hmmmmmmmmmm.

My advice for what its worth is get some track experience in your own car with an instructor.