The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powerhouse/MVP/HKS 3.4 stroker

tooquicktostop

Think you will find Robbie is on a stock engine now after having some problems with his Jun engine, HTH.

Bit of a thread hijack here, but what actually happened to the JUN...problems anything to do with the stroker or rev limit that it was running?

Thought they were bullet proof:search:

• 1 month later...
Guest crackanoon

hey all! greetings from across the pond.

have been giving the idea of going with a 3.4L stroker a great deal of thought recently, and would appreciate your opinions on the the attached dyno graphs from to4r.com.

in an attempt to decide whether the stroker conversion was worth the expense, i have compared Ken Henderson's dyno graph to 4 others. Ken's setupis known to many in the supra community; he runs a 3.4L (presumably the only stroker of the bunch) with gt3240 twins.

keep in mind, that i don't interpret this as a definitive analysis... just a "broad brush strokes" comparison btw the "bottom end" performance of the 3.4L and 3.0L motors. i realize that many variables influence the results; i just found it interesting.

for instance, note that below 5500 rpm, the stroker motor is making more power than ONLY 1 of the other 4 (a T66 twin setup running only 18 psi); and then only marginally. the other 3 motors (all 3.0L) produced more power down low. and surprisingly, the greatest "area uder the curve" below 5500 may very well be the only single turbo of the bunch (a 3.0L gt4245)!

i eagerly await the opinions of those much more knowledgable than myself.

craig

3.4L dyno comparison.php.png

• 5 weeks later...
Guest crackanoon
hey all! greetings from across the pond.

have been giving the idea of going with a 3.4L stroker a great deal of thought recently, and would appreciate your opinions on the the attached dyno graphs from to4r.com.

in an attempt to decide whether the stroker conversion was worth the expense, i have compared Ken Henderson's dyno graph to 4 others. Ken's setupis known to many in the supra community; he runs a 3.4L (presumably the only stroker of the bunch) with gt3240 twins.

keep in mind, that i don't interpret this as a definitive analysis... just a "broad brush strokes" comparison btw the "bottom end" performance of the 3.4L and 3.0L motors. i realize that many variables influence the results; i just found it interesting.

for instance, note that below 5500 rpm, the stroker motor is making more power than ONLY 1 of the other 4 (a T66 twin setup running only 18 psi); and then only marginally. the other 3 motors (all 3.0L) produced more power down low. and surprisingly, the greatest "area uder the curve" below 5500 may very well be the only single turbo of the bunch (a 3.0L gt4245)!

i eagerly await the opinions of those much more knowledgable than myself.

craig

no thoughts on this?

anybody?...

no thoughts on this?

anybody?...

create another thread, of your own, in the tech section and you should get some more responses... :D

Unfortunately my knowledge is limited, so have no good answers for you.

Were all the dyno runs done on the same dyno, same day, etc?

Was it not the HKS 3.4 stroker kit Leon had so many problems with, killed a couple and has now gone back to a 3.0 and run record times in the 8's?

crackanoon - big twin turbo kits are viewed as pretty laggy over here, not surprised the single turbo'd car delivered more power quicker.

In summary, for most of our needs, stroker kits are an unecessary expense. The standard bottom end has proven to be extremely strong and should be rebuilt if required to address the weaker points like the rod bolts.

I personally would keep the standard bottom end, fit as close to standard bore pistons as I could get away with to minimise the weakening of the block taking cylinder wall thickness away (obviously this is dependant on the boring of the block required to take away any bore damage, usually you can get away with a .25mm overbore and run 86.25mm pistons. If the bore just needs honed you can get away with 86mm pistons again). The type of pistons would likely be JE because I've seen proven results with them and I think I'd get a custom batch made (they don't charge much extra for this, we did it on my bro's 3S-GTE) to drop the compression ratio slightly to 8:1 with extra boost / timing advance without det in mind. Other brands mentioned such as JUN and CP, Wiseco also would all be a good choice. I'd pair these with Totalseal gapless rings and Carrillo H beam conrods, which come with uprated caps and fasteners (rod bolts). Bearing wise I'd go for ACL duraglides or Clevite 77's, sized according to the crank. I'd stick with the standard crankshaft as it's hardly a weak point, assuming it doesn't need any major grinding because of spun bearing damage or suchlike. I'd fit a standard Toyota headgasket and clamp with ARP headstuds / nuts, although the standard Toyota stretchbolts don't appear to be a weakness. I suppose at least you can torque the ARP to a more precise value rather than x lb/ft plus so many 90deg turns. With the bottom end built I'd be looking to uprate the head for increased RPM, but this can be done seperately finances permitting!

Cheers,

Brian.

I dare you to price all that lot up :)

-Ian

JE Forged Pistons $850 for 6 + custom CR = $1,100 approx

$40 per piston for High Heat Ceramic Coated crowns and Moly coated skirts - x6 = $240

$8 per piston for Contact Reduction Grooves - x6 = $48

Above piston extras as recommended for turbo application and priced according to top end performance website (this is who we used for 3S-GTE parts)

Pistons total $1,388

Carillo or Pauter (also excellent) Forged Conrods (incl. matching uprated fasteners) - $1,200

Total-Seal Gapless rings - x6 = $120

ARP Head Studs- $90

Clevite '77 Rod & Main Bearings - $135

Toyota full gasket set (includes MHG and all gaskets necessary for a full engine rebuild) - $300

Total Parts - $3,233 at today's exchange rate that's £1,612

Machine shop work depends on the condition of the old block but allow £500 to include balancing of the full rotating assembly. Could spend as little as £200 here if block and crank in decent condition.

So allow a grand total of around £2,300 for the above plus delivery / customs charges or £2,000 if minimal machine shop work performed. That's not too bad considering the price of turbo kits etc.

Pricing is a guideline going on prices from Top End Performance (www.racetep.com) who we've used previously as mentioned. They are good via email and are known to offer rebuild bundles so may even offer discount when ordering that lot.

I hate you for asking me to price that up Ian, took ages!

Cheers,

Brian.