The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual mode = increased risk?

SUPRASUZUKI

No it doesn't.

In MANU you only have the first 3 gears. D Holds 3rd gear.If you reach the redline in 3rd (D) it will shift into O/D to save the engine and gearbox.

If yours was shifting from 2 to D and going straight into O/D then there was something amiss.

I'm sorry to disagree with you mate but if you leave O/D selected as on in manu mode the box will automatically select the overdrive fourth gear if its at a speed that will not stall the engine ie more than about 35 mph. If you leave the box selected to O/D off in manu mode no matter what you do with the speed on the way up it will not select up, I have tried in 5 seperate cars and all the same. If you select down a gear in manu mode it will protect itself and not drop down until its safe to do so. If you don't believe me I will take you for a drive in your car and prove it :D

On track I would say it is vital to use "Manu" mode, you need to KNOW when the things going to change up, and not have it surprise you mid corner. Post pictures of it airborne over The Mountain on Sunday morning please, chop chop! ;)

Like this?

I would if I could but a) I think a Sup would struggle (specially with me holding it down:) and b) {and the best excuse} we're only on the short circuit so no mountain, hall bends etc. Pity really.

18 7 05 at Cadwell_320x240.jpg

I'm sorry to disagree with you mate but if you leave O/D selected as on in manu mode the box will automatically select the overdrive fourth gear if its at a speed that will not stall the engine ie more than about 35 mph. If you leave the box selected to O/D off in manu mode no matter what you do with the speed on the way up it will not select up, I have tried in 5 seperate cars and all the same. If you select down a gear in manu mode it will protect itself and not drop down until its safe to do so. If you don't believe me I will take you for a drive in your car and prove it :D

Seeing as you're in Holland and I'm in Oxon and I helped to do the write up for the faq on the autobox operation then we're going to have to disagree on this one.

Just to clarify in my experience in MANU mode

MANU light ON dash

No O/D button off illuminated

You have L 2 D in effect in MANU mode 1st 2nd & 3rd gear.

D in MANU mode hydraulically locks out the box to 3rd gear.

You still have kickdown (on the TT) but in order to get kickdown you must press the accelerator ALL the way down to click the kickdown switch on the floor. (The N/a's don't have that function in MANU mode)

With MANU off and the O/D switch engaged to off (O/D off illuminated on dash panel) and engaged in D you only have L 2 and D (1st 2nd & 3rd gears) if you turn the O/D on (so the light goes off on the dash) then the car (at a sufficient speed say 35mph) will coast in O/D .

Pls anyone pop over tomorrow. I'll take you for a drive. I can assure you that MANU mode locks out D to 3rd gear.

See here re the autobox modes of operation.

:shrug:

Seeing as you're in Holland and I'm in Oxon and I helped to do the write up for the faq on the autobox operation then we're going to have to disagree on this one.

MANU light ON dash

You still have kickdown (on the TT) but in order to get kickdown you must press the accelerator ALL the way down to click the kickdown switch on the floor. (The N/a's don't have that function in MANU mode)

With MANU off and the O/D switch engaged to off (O/D off illuminated on dash panel) and engaged in D you only have L 2 and D (1st 2nd & 3rd gears) if you turn the O/D on (so the light goes off on the dash) then the car (at a sufficient speed say 35mph) will coast in O/D .

Pls anyone pop over tomorrow. I'll take you for a drive. I can assure you that MANU mode locks out D to 3rd gear.

Get yourself up to Cadwell and dmonstrate??:)

Thats what I was saying ish lol. Overdrive when its switched on is overdrive engaged. With it off you only have first, second and drive ie third. It will not select fourth as you have O/D selected off.

If you are in manu ie manu light on and in D with the O/D off light not illuminated the car will go into O/D ie fourth. You can prove this by pressing the O/D button to off with an O/D off light on the car will drop down a gear.

Again I will say try it. I know as I tested it enough times.

MANU light ON dash

See here re the autobox modes of operation.

hmmm, maybe I disengaged manu for OD?!