The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Definitive weight reduction thread

uzthedentist

Thought id set up a thread for all those people whom are stripping their supes for track/drag/drift or even street. In this thread you can put what modifications you have done what lighter batteries etc and what you think of the mods. Hopefully mine wont be the only post lol

ill start, stripping mine for street and track, so still has to be drivable ;)

Removal of rear seat (2 piece)

Removal of rear seatbelts

Removal of front seatbelts and replacement with harnesses (minimal weight reduction)

Removal of spare wheel

Removal of jack

Removal of rear styrofoam and tool kit

Replacement of both cats with aftermaret downpipe

Replacement of stock exhaust with HKS Hiper Muffler (SS)

Replacement of steering wheels with 320mm aftermarket wheel (minimal weight saving)

Removal of rear subwoofer

Removal of Factory amp and ancillaries

Replacement of stock seats with fibreglass BRIDE bucket seats

Removal of under radiator cover

Removal of Glovebox and replacement with Carbon plate

Replacement of standard aluminium bonnet with CF Abflug bonnet

Removal of Air conditioning pum and ancillaries

Anyone using a lightweight battery? whats the best one to use in your experience?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havnt done any lightening as such but i cant tell how much difference it makes when you remove the spare wheel, it makes a big difference i think, also little things that you wouldnt think made much of a difference like a different exhaust, i think its important to take note of the weight of these items before purchase, ive just had a HKS carbon fitted. Sounds light huh but no i dont think its as light as my old Trust exhaust and makes a difference to the supra performance, particularly off the line.

Hi UZ, thought I'd add my steps taken so far....

Done :

Removal of rear seat (2 piece)

Removal of rear seatbelts

Removal of front seatbelts and replacement with harnesses (minimal weight reduction)

Removal of spare wheel

Removal of jack

Removal of rear styrofoam and tool kit

Replacement of both cats with aftermaret downpipe

Replacement of stock exhaust with HKS Super Dragger ( heavy - titanum full system would be better )

Removal of rear subwoofer

Replacement of standard aluminium bonnet with CF Abflug bonnet

Removal of Factory amp and ancillaries

Single conversion ( but added FMIC/oil cooler )

Fluidine Rad ( possibly lighter )

KAD brake conversion all round - considerable saving over UK brakes

Removal of Front active spoiler ( with motors etc )

Removal of Charcoal canister

Removal of full stereo system

Removal of all interior trim ( except dash )

Removal of carpet and mats

Empty washer bottle :)

Going to do shortly...

Rear wiper

Ariel

Replacement of steering wheels with 320mm aftermarket wheel ?

Replacement of OEM Recaro seats with fibreglass Race seat .. and they're not for sale :)

Considering ...

Dry battery placed in passenger side seat location ( or there abouts ) - Chris has recommended Red Top 40 or 30 which are 12.5/9.0 kg

Not Considered ...

Removal of under radiator cover - 'cos I don't know what this is!

Removal of Glovebox and replacement with Carbon plate

Removal of Air conditioning pump and ancillaries - 'cos I like air-con :cool:

As its not going to be a trailer queen, I'll be keeping the 'safety aspects' of the car.

I'll update this as I go along, as I've got some testing to do at Brands Hatch next week....

BTW - anyone know what the minimum fuel tank level is for track use before starvation occurs?

The Braille battery comes in at 5.5kg, recommended if you dont have ice, the aluminium front chasis collision bar is a couple of kg as well as the dreaded charcoal canister, clear up all the wiring too

I have also removed rear windscreen wiper and aerial

Rear speakers

Probably subsided with the weight of water meth injection and nos though

I have taken the 5l washer fluid bottle to behind passenger seat, you want all uneccessary stuff either binned or between the wheels

I have had Supras in here with at least 2 different carbon fibre bonnets and both were considerably heavier than the stock one!

Yep - I reckon mines the same weight, but I went for it because of the vents to get rid of heat build up.

Have a look at this:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=106834&highlight=weight

Here is what I have done:

Rear seat removed (2 pieces)

Rear seat belts

Load of plastic bits

Space saver and all tools

All speakers

Front seats replaced by fibreglass sparco seats

I have kept the front seat belts as I cant be bothered driving everywhere with a harness on

Considering:

Door cards (might be going, I have carbon door cards)

Moving the battery to the rear or behind the front seats

Carpet

Unsprung weight is also important:

Wheels (volk 18") - significantly lighter than stock 17s

Coilovers

Brake calipers and discs

Can't believe no-one has mentioned the 15-20 kilos of tar sound deadening thats stuck to the floor under the carpets.

When I do mine I'll try and get some example weights.

My mk2 supra weighed in at 1200kg dead on, from about 1315kg,

after I removed all the interior trim (except the main dash, doorcards and front seats which were still stock) engine damper and ALL the A/C system removed (including the evaporator under the dash), all the tar sound deadening, all the stereo, amp and all speakers, charcoal canister.

Could have got lighter, had I replaced the seats with buckets, polycarb'd the windows, removed the bumper support bars, etc etc.

I have had Supras in here with at least 2 different carbon fibre bonnets and both were considerably heavier than the stock one!

Good quality Fibreglass bonnets are the way to go, my Shiftsports Bonnet has the oem hooks for the latches and my abflug nosecone sits a couple of mm above the front of the bonnet, aerodynamically sound:)

I've replaced the bonnet, boot lid & doors/door cards with carbon fibre.

I'd say the bonnet is the same weight, if not a touch heavier, but the doors and especially the boot are seriously lighter. I keep meaning to get to a weighbridge and find out what the difference is, but haven't had the time yet.

I'd say the bonnet is the same weight, if not a touch heavier, but the doors and especially the boot are seriously lighter. I keep meaning to get to a weighbridge and find out what the difference is, but haven't had the time yet.

Where did you source carbon doors, and what do they weigh? Thanks.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned the 15-20 kilos of tar sound deadening thats stuck to the floor under the carpets.

When I do mine I'll try and get some example weights.

My mk2 supra weighed in at 1200kg dead on, from about 1315kg,

after I removed all the interior trim (except the main dash, doorcards and front seats which were still stock) engine damper and ALL the A/C system removed (including the evaporator under the dash), all the tar sound deadening, all the stereo, amp and all speakers, charcoal canister.

Could have got lighter, had I replaced the seats with buckets, polycarb'd the windows, removed the bumper support bars, etc etc.

Where is all this sound deadening??

attachment.php?attachmentid=35849&d=1148114896

I have had most of the interior out, and saw very little...

Where did you source carbon doors, and what do they weigh? Thanks.

They came from the Future Motorsports group buy, but MVP are probably the best bet. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh them before they got fitted as everything went straight to the bodyshop for painting & fitting.

I'll be wanting my geometry setting-up soon, so you can have a shufty at them then.

Even with the glass back in and the stock wing fitted, the boot lid is probably half the weight of the original.

have u got a lexan rear window mate? this cf rear hatch thing is something im considering