The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damn...

Pot

Did the bumper come with the OEM metal strips that fit on the inside to secure it to the wing? Without them it can be difficult to get it to fit exactly right, it definetly needs to be moved back around 1cm.

On the drivers side it looks like the bumper is not hooked over the top over the lower support, that'll stop it from sliding back into position too.

Even if it came off a crashed car it'd would stop it from fitting, they're polyurethane and can flex a HUGE amount, if it was bad enough not to fit the thing would very visibly damaged.

Also, UK and jspec bonnets are the same size, which further confirms the bumper is not in the right place (Unless the rear bonnet mounts are bent, but I'd be very surprised if they were).

Edit - just read that you said it was rubbing by the windscreen when up, so it could well be the mounts. There is a little bit of movement allowed with the bolts, but not a great deal. Shame you're not closer as I could take a look... had plenty of experience lately putting supra's back together!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did the bumper come with the OEM metal strips that fit on the inside to secure it to the wing? Without them it can be difficult to get it to fit exactly right, it definetly needs to be moved back around 1cm.

Are you talking about the ones roughly mid-wheel height? I assume not, as that can't make a difference to fit, just flex? I didnt' realise there were others.

Are you talking about the ones roughly mid-wheel height? I assume not, as that can't make a difference to fit, just flex? I didnt' realise there were others.

These bits steve (labeled 1). They make life much easier when fitting and alligning the bumper. Even the lower wheel arch liners help keep the lower part of the bumper in shape.

Pot, the centre part (labaed 2) also helps pull the centre of the bumper into place. They can "droop" if left off a car for a while which means they need to be pulled back into shape again.

bumper mounts.jpg

These bits steve (labeled 1). They make life much easier when fitting and alligning the bumper.

Pot, the centre part (labaed 2) also helps pull the centre of the bumper into place. They can "droop" if left off a car for a while which means they need to be pulled back into shape again.

Interesting. Not the bits I've seen hanging down off my car like spare parts then! ;)

It's clearly not quite right, I wouldn't be paying for that. If your chap is SURE he can't make it any better, I suggest he's the wrong bloke for the job.

Cheers Steve, you're right, the time it's taken so far shows he's the wrong man, funnily enough he wants me to make him a website for his business... I might do one of my own for free ;)

To be honest, I can't remember, I bought the bumper shortly after the crash so it's been a while (From a member on here, so I can check its history, personally I'm confident it hasn't been crashed before), but I know the strips you're on about, so I'll be checking for them...

Even if it came off a crashed car it'd would stop it from fitting, they're polyurethane and can flex a HUGE amount, if it was bad enough not to fit the thing would very visibly damaged.

Aye, I remember the old one flexing a lot when I took it off, and the paint didn't even crack, l told him I was shocked it would have been permanatly bent out of place...

Also, UK and jspec bonnets are the same size, which further confirms the bumper is not in the right place (Unless the rear bonnet mounts are bent, but I'd be very surprised if they were).

Thanks for confirming that for me, the bonnet mounts are 2nd hand, but off an un-crashed car (one of mine was bent)...

Edit - just read that you said it was rubbing by the windscreen when up, so it could well be the mounts. There is a little bit of movement allowed with the bolts, but not a great deal. Shame you're not closer as I could take a look... had plenty of experience lately putting supra's back together!

I'm hoping it's only the adjustment on the bonnet, as the mounts 'should' be straight, as long as he's put them in correctly of course!... Now I'm wondering about everything he's done!... I'm also going to contact the garage who straightened it to get their views, but I'll certainly be looking into getting a 'professional' to look over it before any cash is handed over!... (Thanks for wanting to come! (If only you'd moved down here! lol)) I've had the front off mine before, when I fitted the active spoiler (Smashed in the crash :(), so I know how fiddly they are to get straight, but I'd expect a professional to know how it is!...

I'd offer to come and look, but I know jack, sorry. :(

No worries mate, it's cool...

Thinking about it too, he's only gone and fitted the bumper with the headlights in (Dad saw it a couple of days ago, now he tells me)... That'll explain the rubber being pushed underneath on the OS Headlight...

No worries mate, it's cool...

Thinking about it too, he's only gone and fitted the bumper with the headlights in (Dad saw it a couple of days ago, now he tells me)... That'll explain the rubber being pushed underneath on the OS Headlight...

What a pillock, you can't even get to the front securing bolts with the headlights in place, which explains why the thing isn't fitting!!

What a pillock, you can't even get to the front securing bolts with the headlights in place, which explains why the thing isn't fitting!!

I hang my head in shame... Why oh why did I ever go there :( - Now for the NSF issue!... lol

On the bright side Pot, it shouldn't take much effort to sort out the bumper fitment :)

Aye, I'll even take an afternoon off work to go there and do it myself!... (He'd have to sign a disclaimer first... lol)

I'm going to contact the place that did the jigging, and see if they did anything about the NS Inner wing, as I want to find out the possibility of that still being bent, as that was in the impact area, it very well could be if not bent back exactly, and would explain the wing sitting too high...

Another update... After a weekend of kicking off and pointing out their incompetence, they've done more work on it. It turns out they hadn't fitted the bumper correctly at all, Homer was right about the supports on the sides. They've also sorted out the issue over the nearside headlight, I'm not sure what they had to do, but I'll find out when I go there in a day or 2.

It's also now passed it's MOT, and didn't need a single thing doing :) - So fingers crossed, I should be picking it up on Saturday or Monday, so I can finally sort out getting the kit on and get it painted :)

Nice one :)

I'd like to see the chap explain why the bumper couldn't possibly fit any better than that, but then after you gave them some advice it magically did. ;)

Aye, me too, I'll be checking it over thoroughly before any cash is handed over, and won't be going there again!...

Glad you got it sorted xxx

Cheers Hun, me too :)

I know this is way to late but I have a front set of those wheels if you are interested, they are black but could be re furbed.

Ah, cheers for the offer, but those wheels are being chucked, I've already got a set of new 19's on it :)