The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my Supra a write off?

Andrew

In your case, as you had a witness who was going to stick up for you, you should have grabbbed the bloke who hit you's keys and kept them so he couldn't drive off, and if he'd given you any shit, just punch him, or if you're not too good with your fists, kick him in the balls, he fuckin deserves it, just remember that!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the insurance companies that need a good kickin Chris.

Just recieved a letter from my insurance asking for an additional £219 to my premium, as they have just realised it's an import.

Talk about rub salt into my wounds, my car is mashed to bits and the cheeky fuckers want more money :mad:

Fortunatly for me I have this habbit of when speaking to people about contracts etc, I write down names,dates and times of conversations. Had them bang to rights :)

I had a cnversation months back with them, making sure they understood what Supra it was.

They record conversations to catch us out in legal wrangles, but seems too have back fired in this case ;)

Your car was an extremely looking mint machine before Mr Drunken Wreckless Driver got involved.

I guess it means you've still got the good codition running gear, engine and such so it would be a waste to Write it Off.

Like homie was saying, if you were planning on running it in2 the ground, this is a great opportunity to seriously individualise your car, and it won't be a half hearted part respray attempt, a very good quality kit and a full respray (why find another mint one to to maybe consider doing the same!)

:stupid:

Cheeky insurance ba***rds, stitched me up when i bought my Supra earlier this year, i must have checked with them a million times about the car specifications etc, put a deposit on the car, got back to the insurers to take out the policy and i got oh sorry we havent got your quote down as a Twin Turbo, it's down as a NA! Pooped me pants for a couple of secs expecting them to want another £1000 or summink silly but it hiked up another £200 or maybe a little more, i try to forget.

Hope your accident story has a happy ending mate.

:thumbs:

Yeah thanks Stevie, I think it's going to turn out better than I first thought.

I've put in a personal injuiry claim, for my back and neck. Not sure whether I'd win that or how much I'd get though. I just want something back, as it will be very hard to sell at a good price now.

Insurance companies don't account for that loss :(

I was wondering, how much of the car do they respray?

The roof is slightly damaged, the door and rear panel obviously need a respray :stupid: How much do they blend in? I mean I don't want a car with nice new spray job down one side, and the front panel the dull faded colour of a 10 year old paint job.

Originally posted by Andrew

I was wondering, how much of the car do they respray?

The roof is slightly damaged, the door and rear panel obviously need a respray :stupid: How much do they blend in? I mean I don't want a car with nice new spray job down one side, and the front panel the dull faded colour of a 10 year old paint job.

I dont think they will do more than is necessary mate, although you could have a word with the body shop and come to a deal for a full ALL over? Or ask and see if they have a ten year old can of paint you could use so it blends better?

:D

Hope you get it sorted soon mate

Dave :flame Dev

:p

Funny guy, see if they've got 10 year old paint!

Well what i do know of bodyshops is if there any good the aim is to get an undetectable finish, this may need you to be fussy bout your repair, i think theres some sort of law that is sposed to guarantee a repair for a certain period of time too, think it's 3years but that sounds pretty long to me, also should have to sign some form of paperwork to say you accept the level of repair so make sure you go over it with a fine toothcomb. You can pretty much be sure that every damaged panel should get painted and with aged paint they usually try a closer tailored match with colour swatches, then for a decent undetectable repair adjacent panels will have to be blended into, which i would have thought from your damage shouldnt leave too many panels. therefore you can always slip the bodyshop a few extra quid and get the whole lot done in that lovely 'Candy Apple' u always wanted if thats your cup of tea! My work colleague had a scrape down the side and damaged front bumper on his 3yr old Beemer, left it at the bodyshop 3times before accepting the colour match and signing the paperwork!

After the second repaint he had the paint depth checked and so for the 3rd paint job they had to take it right back to metal to keep the original depth he wanted!

Fussy or what!?

Also apparantly if your stubborn enough with your insurer, which i must say you probly need BIG CAHOONERS for, you can insist on a perticular repairer, although this may only be a main dealer situation, but anyway Nemesis Performance up in Colchester ESSEX is meant to have a brand new state of the art Muts Nuts Body Shop and produce some shockingly beautiful looking Jap cars, i'm not a big fan of aftermaket body kits, but those guys really know how to fit kits.

They've always got a 3page spread ad in Jap Performance mag too much info to list but @£25+vat an hr labour sounds reasonable to me, and oh its says Import Insurance Work Undertaken!

That's an invite for u if ever i've seen1!

http://www.nemesisperformance.com

:D

Not wanting to appear like kicking you when your down or rubbing any salt in any wounds but i'm after a set of Stock Supra 17" wheels, not really to bothered bout the condition as long as there not buckled or missing chunks.

Just i think u said summink bout getting new rims outta this accident affair so if u'll take a couple hundred quid for em i'll be interested, but you'll probly want them for track wheels too i guess so only if you wanna.:thumbs:

I will be getting a set of new alloys, but I can see it being a long time till I get my car back to be honest mate.

They are 17' and they got a little bit scuffed up last year in the snow, other than that they are fine. Have two new rear tyres and plenty of life in the front tyres.

I'll sell them first on here, but like I say might be a while yet.

No Probs cheers anyway im still looking around, just i didn't realise how much they were like Gold Dust! The majority of Supras i see around have aftermarket rims, just makes me wonder where all the Std ones go! I guess the Std1s come in handy so you don't have to Spank precious Split Rims into kerbs in the snow, My Supe had Aftermarket 18" Split Rims when i got it, i don't think they'd appreciate being spanked around in the snow, Help! Need some winter shoes before the Global Warming snow storm begins!

:eek:

Originally posted by Stevie Boy

No Probs cheers anyway im still looking around, just i didn't realise how much they were like Gold Dust! The majority of Supras i see around have aftermarket rims, just makes me wonder where all the Std ones go! I guess the Std1s come in handy so you don't have to Spank precious Split Rims into kerbs in the snow, My Supe had Aftermarket 18" Split Rims when i got it, i don't think they'd appreciate being spanked around in the snow, Help! Need some winter shoes before the Global Warming snow storm begins!

:eek:

You will find that the majority of aftermarket alloys went on cars that had 16"s as standard see. You cannot give away 16" wheels I know cos i have almost 2 sets. The 17"s that do come up go onto cars like my old one to enable the fitting of UK spec brakes.

Makes sense i guess, i don't get what Toyota were thinking putting 16's on a car like the Supra anyway!

It's like Ford putting Roller Skate wheels on a Focus RS, can't imagine there much cheaper to produce, i mean come on Supes are big ol cars, 17's min 18's should have been the upgrade!

Originally posted by Stevie Boy

Makes sense i guess, i don't get what Toyota were thinking putting 16's on a car like the Supra anyway!

It's like Ford putting Roller Skate wheels on a Focus RS, can't imagine there much cheaper to produce, i mean come on Supes are big ol cars, 17's min 18's should have been the upgrade!

The SZ's were very cheap cars in japan. It was all about cost at the end of the day. I mean why put shit brakes on a TT FFS but they did.

• 5 months later...

Talk about resurrecting a really old thread!!! :eyebrows: But I stumbled across this story whilst using the search facility.

Anyone know if Andrew got his car back in a decent condition and how much the insurerers bill came to?

Just wondering like.....

Bloody hell how olds this :)

Yeah got the car back, fortunatly it didn't sustain any structural damage, they did a great jo fixing it up.

Considering the impact the car sustained, I can safely say Supras' are built like shithouses :)

The cost was around £5000 for repairs and £2000 for car hire.

The process to get the car back did piss me off though as it took several months, this was mainly due to the car being an import and their claim they had to get Jap parts, which was a passenger door. May have had something to do with my folding mirrors.

Happy now though ;)