The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LPG conversion what the Fu***

kslb

there's a guy over on the aristo forum that's fitted lpg to his Aristo...we'll see how his turbos like it.

not sure how long he's had it in there for but doesn't seem to be any adverse effects from what i can see.

going on 5 years and counting:d

I bow down to you fountains of knowledge but I would rather eat my own arm than spend £1800 on an LPG conversion when that could be spent getting a few extra ponies or on the aesthetics of the car inside and out. A lot you could do with that money that sure beats the living cr*p out of an LPG conversion I can kind of understand it on the Aristo due to the family dimensions of the car itself but this is a Supra.... It's supposed to polute the world and cost a fortune to run otherwise they would be driven by Chavs and "Green aware" politicians and lets face it neither of them should ever be aloud behind the wheel of a dream!

Rant over!

Well if you look at the savings in fuel at 33p per litre you could make your money back in no time and spend that on mods, modding is no different with lpg it can in fact take higher boost but the ceramic turbos would not like it!

I have an LPG pump somewhere from the old Jag days.

All you'd need is a pump, some big bottles of propane that roofers use (I think they're 45Kg ones) and you can refuel at home.

Oh, and its about 35p/litre delivered to your door if you find a low cost propane bottle supplier.

You must tell HM customs etc of the fact that you're using it as road fuel & pay the duty of course.... just like I used to ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest munchie

I sell propane for a living, I can do a 47kg bottle for £30, thats 108 litres for £30 works out to be 27p per litre compared to 97p per litre for regular unleaded.

Imagine only £16 to fill your tank up!

I obviously dont pay that for a bottle so i'll be doing a bit more reaserch for sure!!!

Im going BPU+ soon so i'd like to know how well LPG runs with around 400bhp

Guest mike_s14
I know of someone who runs a fairly big power 200SX S14 and there is not much difference in performance using LPG.

Thats may be me youre thinking about, in any case I've run lpg on my s14a for towards 7 years and has paid for its self many times over. Its still using the old venturi system but shall probably go injection if I decide to fit an uprated engine

Car is running 350 bhp 330 lbs/ft on petrol and slightly down on those figures on lpg

Road driving I actually prefer lpg as the power is slightly softer :)

I really want to get my standard tt converted when I have some spare cash. I hadn't realised that the LPG system is bolted on in addition to the usual petrol system. So you can still hack it around when you want to and save the world in the rest of the time :)

I'm waiting for it to be reliable enough with higher power and I am going to get my singled up aristo done. Mainly for the long hauls I do from Holland to UK. In the supra its the tank that would put me off as there just isn't the room in the car.

How big a tank are we talking? I have no idea how big they are.

you used to be able to get a government grant towards the conversion.

and they used to do a production astra on lpg which a lot of busines's used (low tax), but its discontinued, theyre all going hybrid nowerdays.

i cant help thinking that if LPG takes on, price/tax hikes will follow, and if it doesnt, itll become harder to get hold of at petrol stations.

filling up at home could work though.

I'm waiting for it to be reliable enough with higher power and I am going to get my singled up aristo done. Mainly for the long hauls I do from Holland to UK. In the supra its the tank that would put me off as there just isn't the room in the car.

Here's mine Brian!!

I am looking to get a big NOS sticker for it.....:D

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5372/pict0909rz5.jpg

H.

Guest munchie

thats mint, how many litres is it and how far can you go on that sized tank?

I wouldnt mind loosing my spare wheel, its not like im ever gonna fit a tiny space saver on my car anyway!

Er you really are not going to get very far on that tank at all. Lets put it this way the one in my rangey is a 90 litre one and I will be lucky to see 300 miles on that at about 20 mpg petrol usage. That tank looks like it may only be 30 litres. Fine for town driving not much cop for the longer distance stuff. A tyre well tank with that one may help as welll lol.

Guest munchie

Delivered to a customer of mine today, he has LPG on his chevy, he reckons about £800 for a full sequential kit for the supra.

Ive dont a nitrous install before, how hard can it be to fit?

The problem will be you need it certifying just like gas in your home. You will pay a good wedge of cash for an inspector to examine and certify your motor. That said you can do the hard part by plumbing in the injectors, ECU and associatted pipework and leave the gas connection to the experts like I have on my range rover. Or Ideally offer someone an ecu loom swap and inlet manifold swap for someone with LPG that doesn't use it on their supra :D