The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo Debate = BHP

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really ? Then how come Kean from BL can build a 7 second car with a trap speed of 185mph then ? :)

am comapring an auto with 360 to a 6 speed with 450bhp, the auto will more than likely beat on a quarter due to grip but on the road will the 6 speed not beat it ??? that waht am talking about not 7 second cars lol

great thats what i thought it was might have to reconsider what turbo to order for the GT300

You now it will, ;)

Dan is mapping my car this Thursday, I'm going to have print outs for 1bar, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7bar if all goes well.

My intention is for a solid 650bhp at lowest boost level.

I think you are missing the point here. it isnt about winning the race but seeing what terminals are achieved. That is usually indicative of true power.

I would also question your assumption that the bigger power car willl always beat one of lesser power. it will depend on the characteristics of the turbo (the spool etc).

I would also point out that when Dude was around, his car didnt make 600 BHP but i think we would all agree that is was no slouch eh? :)

I stick to my first post that said RR power figures are for pub bragging rights and nothing else.

this is my point for quarter miles dude was an auto car, but 100bhp difference in an auto to 6 speed should surely give to edge to the manual on road scenaros ?

this is my point for quarter miles dude was an auto car, but 100bhp difference in an auto to 6 speed should surely give to edge to the manual on road scenaros ?

My point regarding Dude was that his never hit 600 BHP and yet it destroyed most everything on the road never mind on the strip.

stop changing the subject lol we will discuss quarter miles on another thread we are talking why less bhp

It's just that BHP RR figures are always a figure of scrutiny. They aren't tangible. You can easily argue for them or against them. The standing 1/4 is something that cannot be argued against to get a feel of a cars performance.

EG -What performance do you think a car has - if it can travel 400 meters in 7 seconds and cross the line @ 185mph ?

:)

It's just that BHP RR figures are always a figure of scrutiny. They aren't tangible. You can easily argue for them or against them. The standing 1/4 is something that cannot be argued against to get a feel of a cars performance.

EG -What performance do you think a car has - if it can over 400 meters in 7 seconds crossing the line @ 185mph ?

a lot lol

EG -What performance do you think a car has - if it can travel 400 meters in 7 seconds and cross the line @ 185mph ?

its going a bit off topic here but the thread is why do most single turbos read less bhp comapared to ones from japan.

is it due to turbo choice

badly built singles

bad mapping

Budgets

etc

etc

etc

am just curious to know, but it looks like the turbo choice and budget been the main issue

Well my view on it (as someone who has put a huge amount of money into there car) is the reason for the low figures are we are all raving about the small turbo's at the moment.

Jamie is a good example, going from the T88 to the GT4088 - he preferes the GT4088 much less BHP but one hell of a car, doesnt need a figure to back it up.

Im currently concentrating of getting the most BHP i can out of a T61, i could put a massive turbo on (everything is ready, and i mean everything) but i was a small one with out much lag.....for now :eyebrows:

My view on this is "most" of the RR's in this country are fairly accurate, most of the RR's in the USA, Japan like to pamper to the customers and read stupid figures.

There was a big debate on the gtr club over a guy in the usa running an R33 GTR with hks 2530's and at 1.1 bar he was making 600 odd bhp at the hubs which is impossible but he certainly had all the printouts to back it up!!

So i dont think we run any less power than anywhere else but just dont have the BS over here :D

Mike

Well my view on it (as someone who has put a huge amount of money into there car) is the reason for the low figures are we are all raving about the small turbo's at the moment.

Jamie is a good example, going from the T88 to the GT4088 - he preferes the GT4088 much less BHP but one hell of a car, doesnt need a figure to back it up.

Im currently concentrating of getting the most BHP i can out of a T61, i could put a massive turbo on (everything is ready, and i mean everything) but i was a small one with out much lag.....for now :eyebrows:

jamies t88 was pretty high bhp what did he get on rollers on the t88 and what is he at now, probably a one for jamie to answer

Things seem to have changed with the 'supra single scene' a bit, it used to be bigger turbo the better. but now everyone wants a smaller one, which is more driveable. My supra will be finished and rolling roaded next week, ive gone for a gt67 (phr stage 2+), which is probably the max id go for, 550rwhp max im half expecting. People dont want silly hp figures anymore is seems, as it gets to a point the car becomes undrivable, plus who wants to wait 5mins while the turbo winds itself up.

I dont think 1/4 mile is a reflection on how fast the car is at all, there is to many factors involved, decent tyres, 6speed or auto, and mostly, driver.

My view on this is "most" of the RR's in this country are fairly accurate, most of the RR's in the USA, Japan like to pamper to the customers and read stupid figures.

There was a big debate on the gtr club over a guy in the usa running an R33 GTR with hks 2530's and at 1.1 bar he was making 600 odd bhp at the hubs which is impossible but he certainly had all the printouts to back it up!!

So i dont think we run any less power than anywhere else but just dont have the BS over here :D

Mike

hi mike , but some of the supras we have had rolling roaded in the uk and are suprisingly higher than most of the uk build projects but it seems apparent its down to turbo size

Things seem to have changed with the 'supra single scene' a bit, it used to be bigger turbo the better. but now everyone wants a smaller one, which is more driveable. My supra will be finished and rolling roaded next week, ive gone for a gt67 (phr stage 2+), which is probably the max id go for, 550rwhp max im half expecting. People dont want silly hp figures anymore is seems, as it gets to a point the car becomes undrivable, plus who wants to wait 5mins while the turbo winds itself up.

I dont think 1/4 mile is a reflection on how fast the car is at all, there is to many factors involved, decent tyres, 6speed or auto, and mostly, driver.

probably the best reply i was looking for do you work for carlsberg ?? lol

Dusty@MVP would be an interesting addition to this debate.. why do a lot of the yanks get 900+ at the Supra Nationals?

I commented on the RR 'pissing contest' last year and got this response from Dusty :)

He could clearly teach us a thing or two.

Do they just use much bigger turbos than us?

impressive read i think we are a way behind the americans

hi mike , but some of the supras we have had rolling roaded in the uk and are suprisingly higher than most of the uk build projects but it seems apparent its down to turbo size

perhaps its also down to parts, ease to source and price?? we all know in the usa and japan parts are alot cheaper and easier to get hold of?? maybe when doing a build things like huge cams, bigger valves etc are left out over here to keep costs down?

i do know what your saying though, i guarantee that a car with the same exact setup would make 50-100 bhp more in say japan so maybe they map more agressive on the edge where as were more safer?? maybe they use race fuel more than us for daily use again as its alot cheaper over there??

perhaps its also down to parts, ease to source and price?? we all know in the usa and japan parts are alot cheaper and easier to get hold of?? maybe when doing a build things like huge cams, bigger valves etc are left out over here to keep costs down?

i do know what your saying though, i guarantee that a car with the same exact setup would make 50-100 bhp more in say japan so maybe they map more agressive on the edge where as were more safer?? maybe they use race fuel more than us for daily use again as its alot cheaper over there??

remember that bronze supra lasse took you out in it made over 500bhp at wheels lol it had the tiniest of spec compared to the uk single cars